1 2
SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/30/10 3:42 p.m.

I wouldn't use e-track. I doubt the clips that hold into the track are rated for that kind of lateral load.

Consider the load- if you are ever in a collision, the vehicle will decelerate extremely rapidly. Even a small car trying to shift to the front could give 2000 # of lateral load. Imagine hanging the e-track on the wall, then dropping the car strapped to it.

If the straps fail, a moment after you decelerate from 60-0 in only seconds, you will get hit in the back of the tow vehicle with a 2000# + weight moving at 60 mph. Not worth the risk.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe Reader
1/30/10 4:35 p.m.

this is how we transport million dollar cars, etrack works fine with the right straps and properly installed track sections.

devina
devina
1/30/10 5:02 p.m.

I am not a fan of using chain to hold a car as there is no stretch/give to them. On my Honda CRX, I have two fixed length straps that go to the front tow hooks- this gets the car positioned correctly for tongue weight. I then use two ratchet straps (to the rear tow eyes when the car still had them) to the factory tow points using mini-t hooks (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/89/Towing). I don't cross straps but they are slightly angled out.

I found this link a while back- http://www.mrproducts.com/index.php?func=html&page=tie_down_tips

Definitely use the locking hooks on the straps so the straps (and car) stay put and use one at each corner.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/30/10 5:18 p.m.

Well, I went to the trailer place nearby and just had them weld on some solid D-rings. So now I'm going to pick up some good straps for it.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
1/30/10 10:01 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: In reply to Salanis: He also kept stubbing his toes on it. Other than that I think it was OK for holding down the car. YMMV.

I thought only circle track guys worked barefoot :)

joepaluch
joepaluch Reader
2/1/10 10:38 a.m.

I put this on 944spec.org. I think you are logged on there too.

Anyway this is what I have done for my 944 for about 8 years now.

I put some eyebolts down in the rear compartments behind each wheel.

These are at the thick part where the body support is. Very easy to see and hook into either with my old open trailer or my new enclosed trailer.

Front I use the factory points.

mspeedP5
mspeedP5 New Reader
4/20/16 3:42 p.m.

I've got wide enough spaces in my wheels to feed a ratchet strap through each one and then back to the corresponding D-ring in the floor. So far so good.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tiZ1j73EWtFd6y9ldEGgtzdCEftr9EzQGaSFnI6adL4tm2IltE1lhzE2I5sBJwiS