1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/28/11 1:24 p.m.

Click here to see it. The short version is that the new Lexus ES350 isn't worth writing home about. It was, however, worth writing a new car review about, and therefore worth writing a message board post to inform you of.

The real question is this- Is it worth commenting on or posting to your Facebook wall with your own thoughts? Somebody (randomly chosen by me) who shares this on their Facebook wall will get a sticker pack sent their way, so only time will tell.

(And if you want in on the stickers, make sure to use the facebook sharing button on the review page...it looks like this... and can be found toward the bottom of the right hand column.)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 1:28 p.m.

I'm not on Facebook, but I'm willing to write the link address on the actual wall in my garage for a sticker pack.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/28/11 1:55 p.m.

It is pretty boring, but i'll bite. I post commentary on car reviews to my facebook wall all the time anyway.

Only problem is, your facebook button wouldnt work for me. It got me to the post screen, i wrote a post, and then it said i couldnt post it to 'this wall' (which was my wall).

So i did it manually. I linked to your review and posted this:

"You know, id rather have an MKZ Hybrid than a regular fusion hybrid. It seems like the snazziest way to get 40 mpg. Toyota hasnt put their camry hybrid getup in the ES yet, wonder why not? I thought Lexus was the original "try to associate hybrid with high end luxury" brand?"

my fb: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=547694819

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
11/28/11 2:09 p.m.

Is there no escaping this "facebook" fad? Seems like a real-world version of Star Trek's "Borg" collective. I've already researched it and dismissed it as a cult, albeit potentially more dangerous.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 2:17 p.m.

You're going to have to do a lot better than some stickers to get me to care about the Lexus Camry...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/28/11 2:22 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: The real question is this- Is it worth commenting on or posting to your Facebook wall with your own thoughts? Somebody (randomly chosen by me) who shares this on their Facebook wall will get a sticker pack sent their way, so only time will tell. (And if you want in on the stickers, make sure to use the facebook sharing button on the review page...it looks like this... and can be found toward the bottom of the right hand column.)

Since I'm not the first to object to you choosing such a path, I'll go ahead and use a picture that you used, Tom.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
11/28/11 5:17 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm not on Facebook, but I'm willing to write the link address on the actual wall in my garage for a sticker pack.

same here .... no Facebook... but like Wally I'll be happy to put a sign up on the wall with the link address

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
11/28/11 5:29 p.m.
Vigo wrote: It is pretty boring, but i'll bite. I post commentary on car reviews to my facebook wall all the time anyway. Only problem is, your facebook button wouldnt work for me. It got me to the post screen, i wrote a post, and then it said i couldnt post it to 'this wall' (which was my wall). So i did it manually. I linked to your review and posted this: "You know, id rather have an MKZ Hybrid than a regular fusion hybrid. It seems like the snazziest way to get 40 mpg. Toyota hasnt put their camry hybrid getup in the ES yet, wonder why not? I thought Lexus was the original "try to associate hybrid with high end luxury" brand?" my fb: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=547694819

Same thing here, and I tried posting it to my wall and another page. Both failed with the same error.

griffin729
griffin729 HalfDork
11/28/11 5:31 p.m.

Share button didn't work for me either.

EDIT: However, the share button at the bottom of the thread does work.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/28/11 5:31 p.m.

I'll take a set of stickers for NOT mentioning the issues with posting the link.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/28/11 5:34 p.m.

Resistance is Futile but I am resisting anyway.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
11/28/11 5:55 p.m.

^ lol.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/28/11 6:17 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm not on Facebook, but I'm willing to write the link address on the actual wall in my garage for a sticker pack.

This deserves a sticker pack.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Resistance is Futile but I am resisting anyway.

This does too.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/28/11 6:32 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Click here to see it. The short version is that the new Lexus ES350 isn't worth writing home about. It was, however, worth writing a new car review about, and therefore worth writing a message board post to inform you of. The real question is this- Is it worth commenting on or posting to your Facebook wall with your own thoughts? Somebody (randomly chosen by me) who shares this on their Facebook wall will get a sticker pack sent their way, so only time will tell. (And if you want in on the stickers, make sure to use the facebook sharing button on the review page...it looks like this... and can be found toward the bottom of the right hand column.)

This would have made great Google+ content

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/28/11 8:11 p.m.

FACEBOOK is not a fad and can be quite useful.

If you're not on Facebook odds are you also don't have a smartphone and in both cases you'd really have no clue what you're missing.

Google+ I don't believe will ever be a Facebook replacement, but that doesn't mean FB is perfect.

Even my 82 year old Mother In Law is on FB and as hard as it is for her to use a computer it has been very useful to her and to all of us trying to stay in touch with her. She loves it cause she has found several of her old HS chums, including her first kiss.

I use it a lot in my business, but I am far from a FB guru.

With all that said FB is still more useful than any Lexus product any of us are likely to buy. The thread on the new Toyadabaru that talks about the traditional Toyota design process clearly states what is wrong with all Lexi.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/28/11 8:32 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: FACEBOOK is not a fad and can be quite useful. If you're not on Facebook odds are you also don't have a smartphone and in both cases you'd really have no clue what you're missing. Google+ I don't believe will ever be a Facebook replacement, but that doesn't mean FB is perfect. Even my 82 year old Mother In Law is on FB and as hard as it is for her to use a computer it has been very useful to her and to all of us trying to stay in touch with her. She loves it cause she has found several of her old HS chums, including her first kiss. I use it a lot in my business, but I am far from a FB guru. With all that said FB is still more useful than any Lexus product any of us are likely to buy. The thread on the new Toyadabaru that talks about the traditional Toyota design process clearly states what is wrong with all Lexi.

I have a smartphone, luckily paid for by my employer. I am not on facebook.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/28/11 8:33 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: FACEBOOK is not a fad and can be quite useful.

True - I find it useful for making my wife go away and leave me alone for a couple hours while I escape to the garage. It is also especially useful to HR screeners, the FBI and advertisers who all get to profile you for free.

If you're not on Facebook odds are you also don't have a smartphone and in both cases you'd really have no clue what you're missing.
  • Not on Facebook
  • Have Smartphone
  • Defying the odds!
I use it a lot in my business, but I am far from a FB guru.

Are you an FBI agent, marketing / advertiser or HR screener?

With all that said FB is still more useful than any Lexus product any of us are likely to buy.

I have a Lexus coffee mug I got for free for test driving a GS400 something or other. It has been quite useful.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/28/11 10:36 p.m.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
11/29/11 6:44 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: FACEBOOK is not a fad and can be quite useful. If you're not on Facebook odds are you also don't have a smartphone and in both cases you'd really have no clue what you're missing.

I can honestly say that I've only seen that website once. Never signed up for it, have absolutely no desire to. Hardly know what a smartphone is. My cell phone can make and receive calls, that's it. Don't text either. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing, I don't know enough to know better All I know is that my 22 year old nanny spends hours clicking away on her computer and typing away on her phone, even while we're riding in the car and it drives me nuts. One of these days, I'm going to grab that stupid thing and throw it out the car window.

Oh...and as for the Lexus, when I reach retirement age and am ready for my Buick, I'll check out a used ES.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/29/11 6:51 a.m.

Tom, I love you, but this thread is flat out cheesy. It's a really weaksauce attempt to generate Facebook traffic.

Still love you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/29/11 6:52 a.m.

I've been on facebook, and i know what i'm missing.

I'm glad i'm missing it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/29/11 7:05 a.m.

BTW- Facebook has recently been shown to track the ENTIRE 90 day history of EVERYONE who comes to their site, whether or not they are a member. Visit their site, they track your history.

They use those little "Share" and "Like" buttons to do it, as well as accessing your browser's history.

The ENTIRE history. Hmm... there may be things that I'd rather not be identified...

They did, however, say that it's not a problem, because they USE the information in a different manner than Google or Twitter, so we can trust them. Whew! Sure glad they said that- it made me feel a lot better!

It's not that I have some kind of paranoia about this kind of stuff- I just think we should understand the tool for what it is. They are in the business of gathering every little tidbit of information they can, linking it together, and selling it. So, if they can tie your picture, to your history, to your phone number, to your favorite color, to your kid's soccer pictures, to your cat's name, .... you get the picture.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/29/11 7:11 a.m.

Before I get flamed, here's the recent USAToday cover story:

Facebook tracking is under scrutiny

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/29/11 8:03 a.m.

I don't blame you for choosing NOT to use Facebook. There are plenty of good reasons that people would do so.

...just don't blame us for choosing to engage with people who do use Facebook. You can choose to participate or not and we'll love you just the same. This is mostly a test for our site tools...which we fail at.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/29/11 8:05 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Tom, I love you, but this thread is flat out cheesy. It's a really weaksauce attempt to generate Facebook traffic. Still love you.

LOL reminder to self- Read the whole thread, not just the last few posts before replying.

And I LOVE cheese. Wish I could get these locally...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D7nbqlvwfjMSUqXUkNu6GxXNpTAL17fYNwNqwZuTHoBDOVqLFeQfEQm8DJTHa56l