http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1844025225.html

jamscal
jamscal Dork
7/15/10 9:09 p.m.

pic:

stroker
stroker Reader
7/15/10 9:12 p.m.
jamscal wrote: I've never seen one of these, pretty neat: http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/1844025225.html

I used to have a 1970 100LS with a manual. I LOVED that car. If that one was a manual I'd be seriously conflicted.

That windshield's gonna be expensive....

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/15/10 9:38 p.m.

Heh. One of my friends has an Audi Fox that is almost that color.

I'll link this to him... old longitudinals seem to find him.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
7/15/10 11:01 p.m.

1.I live in Louisville

2.There was one of these in the Pull-A-Part a month ago. Not sure if the windshield was good

3.I just bought a Volvo 244 I don't need because I had a spare transmission the car needs. Therefore I have no room for anything else.

4.You suck. I'm calling tomorrow.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Reader
7/15/10 11:26 p.m.

What a collection of masochists. Those things were junk when you could still buy parts for them!

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/16/10 12:07 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: What a collection of masochists. Those things were junk when you could still buy parts for them!

The 100LS almost did as much damage to Audi's reputation as the unintended-acceleration fiasco.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
7/16/10 4:54 a.m.

I owned an Audi Fox in the mid '70s. I suppose it's possible that the 100 was a better car, but there's a reason why these are "few and far between" today: the average Japanese sedan of that era creamed this car on reliability.

If this car was being sold with a manual transmission, it wouldn't last long on CL. You would really have to want one of these "former products of the great Mercedes empire" (my quotes, Audi was at one time owned by M-B before going over to Volkswagen ownership) to buy an automatic equipped example....even with working A/C.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/16/10 5:28 a.m.

My folks bought two of those brand new. The first one was rock solid dependable. The second one was a bit of a turd. They were rust prone which is why you don't see them any more, and they never did sell really well. They have inboard front disc brakes and (I think) Solex carbs, so already there are two things about them to dislike. My folks loved theirs, the only gripe being no power steering on a fwd car was a little tough to enjoy. Check for rust under the rear seat, because that's inexplicably where the battery is.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
7/16/10 5:52 a.m.

AAAHHHHHHHH! My eyes!!!!

I had one just like that - same color, same year. Mine was tan leatherette, but the resemblance is enough to make me twitch and cringe even thirty years after junked that horrendous piece of e36 M3.

Yes, it had inboard front brakes, and my mechanic refused to start the job without an up-front deposit.

Coming from the blissful ignorance of air-cooled VWs, this was my first 'grown up' car. I take back what I said earlier - 'piece of e36 M3' is much too nice of a compliment. This car traumatized me.

(runs screaming from the room, muttering 'a 100 LS, no, no, no!!!')

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
7/16/10 6:28 a.m.

I remember "Tony the Hat" showing up in one of those, slammed just right at the '94 S.O.T.O meet and the VW Classic the next day. Everyone went wild over it. Even more than his light green Volvo 245 on Turbos that he did the previous year.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/16/10 6:53 a.m.
jamscal wrote: I've never seen one of these...

Oh to be young again.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/16/10 8:21 a.m.

I hate you guys. I guess it's a good thing that I have no money right now. A megasquirted 2.0l turbo from a 924 would look sexxxy in that thing.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/16/10 8:23 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Oh to be young again.

Yeah, I heard Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/16/10 8:25 a.m.

Hm. So the car itself was absolute trash. But it looks neat. And you'd get piles of WTF looks if you drove it. Swap an Evo drivetrain?

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/16/10 9:19 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Oh to be young again.

Sorry dude, but according to your profile, you can't claim ignorance on that one!

car39
car39 Reader
7/16/10 9:41 a.m.

My Dad fell in love with one of these lumps in the 80's. The driver's seat track fell apart and left him sitting on the floor, like a rocking chair. We had to work on it weekly.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/16/10 10:06 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
914Driver wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Oh to be young again.
Sorry dude, but according to your profile, you can't claim ignorance on that one!

It's a conspiracy I tell ya !!

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
7/16/10 11:11 a.m.

I have heard they are horrible also. Think about this, how much bad stuff have you read about maserati biturbos? With those, most of the people who have actually owned one say they really arent all that bad. The people who complain about those audis are the ones who have actually had one, and they still say its a horrible car.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/10 1:15 p.m.

Huh, that car has the same motor that was used in my 924....

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
7/16/10 1:48 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
914Driver wrote:
bravenrace wrote:
Oh to be young again.
It's a conspiracy I tell ya !!

Whatever it is, somebody needs to find a way to stop it!

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
7/16/10 2:14 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Huh, that car has the same motor that was used in my 924....

Almost. That car has the 1.9L version.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/16/10 10:20 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Hm. So the car itself was absolute trash. But it looks neat. And you'd get piles of WTF looks if you drove it. Swap an Evo drivetrain?

5 cylinder (the '76 model, my friend says, was clearanced for the five, but they never actually made the car with one) will apparently bolt to the trans.

A 5 cylinder will also bolt to an 016 trans.

Without having any idea what the rear suspension looks like, I happen to have a spare Syncro rearend (needs rebuilding) that will probably fit just about anywhere a VW beam axle did.

Heh. Heh. Heh.

My friend also hates me for showing him the car. The last thing he needs is another project... given that he barely seems to have time to work on the green 70's Audi five-pot/AWD conversion that he already has.

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
7/16/10 11:05 p.m.

My parents had that exact car, except in doo-doo brown. It ran strong for 6 or 7 years before it was traded in for a volvo 240 wagon when we moved overseas.

It was part of the "great unreliable car adventure" from Virginia Beach (VA) to Seattle (and back 2 years later):

That Audi, with my dad driving and 1-year old brother riding, towing a 19-foot sailboat. And....a 1970 GT6 (the one I own now) with Mom driving and me riding shotgun (as a 3-year-old). Amazingly, both trips went without a single mechanical incident, and we even took the southern/scenic route through Arizona/NM in the middle of the summer!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTWHaVocXvw7z9yQMfaXPpedi6EA0OW3VsgxxGDTG04KoHiV45i0Sd4SSC5Ws4yy