Scott Lear
Scott Lear
5/3/17 12:18 p.m.

Photos by Scott R. Lear unless otherwise credited

After deducing the operating principle of the lever, Archimedes declared, “Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough, and I will move the world.” After more than two millennia of progress, Chrysler debuted their 426 Hemi engine. It’s a heck of a lot more exciting than a long stick, …

Read the rest of the story

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/3/17 3:15 p.m.

Horsepower will get you OVER the Mountain

Torque will MOVE the Mountain out of your way

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/17 3:35 p.m.

One of my favorite UTCC cars of all time. That thing was so over the top---- and ridiculously fast!

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/3/17 4:21 p.m.

I love this car, the in car noises would make me never want to get out of it. Getting to work with "Fast" Phil with our challenge car 2 years ago was a riot! Talk about a guy who is totally approachable, and down to earth. Amazing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/3/17 8:37 p.m.

I though this would be about Scotty Cannon's Pro Mod Willys, the Killer Tomato.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/3/17 9:18 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I love this car, the in car noises would make me never want to get out of it. Getting to work with "Fast" Phil with our challenge car 2 years ago was a riot! Talk about a guy who is totally approachable, and down to earth. Amazing.

Yep. I was honored that a guy who does events where he his speeds top 170mph and rarely drop past 60mph got a kick out of driving a lightly turboed Miata around a parking lot.

That in car video of the fast laps at the UTCC is awesome.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
5/4/17 8:05 a.m.

I might argue that this is the the worlds craziest door-slammer, but I like yours too.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/4/17 9:07 a.m.

Cool car! I love the detailed look at its past and the guy's work on developing it. It's hard to imagine what it would have been like turbocharged.

I did spot this:

A quarter of a decade passed, and in that time Glenn had become a logger and lumberman who occasionally autocrossed.

Did you mean a quarter of a century? Because 2.5 years isn't really a very long time. ;-)

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
5/5/17 11:23 p.m.

I think I saw 2nd gear deliver 55 to 120 mph, and I believe this is the first time I've ever witnessed a tach move slower than the speedometer. way slower. I suppose the audi diesels that ran endurance a couple years ago did that but I never saw it.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/17 7:55 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I though this would be about Scotty Cannon's Pro Mod Willys, the Killer Tomato.

Yes!!!! spent a good amount of time around those cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NC1mjCRyi2u5KY4DcW1k9tYaezkwfsHeCR8hAARdfmoftAOPuwuOkmDixLPZePlg