Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/8/15 3:25 p.m.
feature_image

With the ramp truck safely at Cobra Automotive, Curt and his crew looked it over and made us a list of what it would need. Their list is at the bottom of this update.

Our first call was to our friends at Falken Tire. We decided right away that some small amount of safety needed to be thrust …

Read the rest of the story

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/15 3:29 p.m.

I thought you were supposed to fix all that stuff on the side of the road, on the way to Florida. Where is your sense of adventure.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/15 9:00 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I thought you were supposed to fix all that stuff on the side of the road, on the way to Florida. Where is your sense of adventure.

We're learning?

Check out what's parked inside the garage behind the ramp truck. Yes, lots of cool stuff at that shop.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
10/9/15 9:56 a.m.

Add: Change water pump. Sure it might feel fine and might not be leaking but way waste a good rad should it decide to let go on the ride home. it's been sitting a long time.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/9/15 10:19 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Add: Change water pump. Sure it might feel fine and might not be leaking but way waste a good rad should it decide to let go on the ride home. it's been sitting a long time.

+1. Ford water pumps are cheap and much easier to replace in a shop than on the side of the road...

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder New Reader
10/9/15 10:41 a.m.

This is a very cool project! So envious! If you need help when you are in the Carolinas, message me!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/9/15 10:53 a.m.
TiggerWelder wrote: This is a very cool project! So envious! If you need help when you are in the Carolinas, message me!

Thanks. And, yes, everyone needs a ramp truck.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
10/9/15 1:01 p.m.

I had a '69 F100 that would periodically lock only the right rear wheel with any touch of the brakes. It had a 9" rear end - the rear axle bearings are square shouldered and pressed onto the axle, and the grease seals sit just inboard of the bearings. On my truck there was a scar on the inside surface of the housing where the seal sat. The metal outer part of the seal covered it - it looked like a tool gouge from poor seal removal techniques. After about six months enough gear oil would force its way through to run into the brake drum and the first touch of the brakes cemented the 3" wide shoe to the drum surface with 90wt gear oil, locking up that wheel and casing to truck to pirouette right if you were under 20mph. Above that and it created a smoking flat spot on the right rear tire. It was fun. I miss that truck.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fxg6p0xEzMxkg4LJIPCSAk1DaTAmXeBOFpIp8u0640BOs5crWJ59BEg1yM2wW5TQ