Zachary Mayne
Zachary Mayne
3/13/18 11:29 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

When the second-generation Toyota MR2 bowed in for 1991, it brought the original two-seat design into more modern times. The squared-off, sharp-edged styling was replaced with a more vibrant, aerodynamic shape. The optional 200-horsepower engine provided …

Read the rest of the story

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
3/13/18 6:28 p.m.

I raced against a Mr. Two back in 1991, I recall how fast it was, it went by me on Lap 2 on the straight like a rocket, a rocket spewing mass quantities of green liquid out of every opening in the rear end.  It ceased to run shortly after.  Rinse and repeat that for the rest of the season.  Fast is not much good with engines that won't be cooled.

krautastic
krautastic New Reader
3/14/18 2:36 p.m.

In reply to HapDL :

oddly enough, MR2's almost never overheat because they have miles of radiator piping, so their coolant capacity is really high. Tons of thermal mass to add that heat to. Add to that they purposefully designed the underbody trays to draw air up through the bottom of the engine bay and out the "hood" vents, making use of the low pressure zone behind the rear window, it gets plenty of cooling. Now, it is tricky to cool boosted setups, but that's the air charge, and is why water to air systems were invented.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
3/14/18 4:29 p.m.

Yeah, I had an ITA MR2 and tracked my MR2 Turbo for a while.  No issues at all with cooling.  Now if you do have to work on the cooling system, they need to be "burped".   If you don't, air pockets can form and cause overheating issues.  There are specific ways to accomplish this in a MR2 that is different than front engine cars, and you have to know the tricks.

te72
te72 New Reader
3/14/18 9:14 p.m.

Still a car that will have a welcome home in my garage someday if the finances and opportunity line up at the right time. I think I'm gonna have to build a shed if I keep up that mentality, because I'm not really one to let cars I enjoy go. cheeky

BTD
BTD Reader
3/15/18 12:23 a.m.

There are at least four V6 MR2's running around on the forums, including mine. Links below for those who enjoy more reading!

Everyone Is Doing It! - 1MZ Swapped SW20 MR2 (Mine, selfishly)

1986 MR2 V6 rallycross build... Aw(11) yeah....

1991 Toyota MR2 MK2 SW20 V6 1MZ FE

V6 MR2...Hopefully

Mine just got finished running, and it's heading in the direction of the build that's detailed in the main post of this thread. The V6 cars are very fun to drive because of the torque, and are dead stinking reliable. One of the most fun swaps out there that can be completed for not too much $$ (if you use a N/A chassis and the N/A transmission, it literally bolts in).

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
3/15/18 6:54 a.m.

I've always said I'll own a 3rd MR2 in my lifetime, assumed it was either a normal turbo 2nd gen or a swap by Prime Performance.  Maybe I really need a V6 MR2?

te72
te72 New Reader
3/15/18 11:49 p.m.

Refresh my memory, isn't the 1MZ the engine that was in the Camry that GRM tried to hop up a few years back? The one that had a couple issues with sludge basically trashing the engine?

Also, it just hit me, this is basically an Evora, in the same sense that an Exocet is basically an Atom. Sweet...

Also also, I may be an outlier, but I still find myself drawn to the ZZ30, particularly the green ones with the brown tops. They remind me of frogs for some reason. Not sure what it is about the ZZ30, perhaps that's the Miata driver in me that just needs that option of open sky...

Also also also, anyone else familiar with the Sard MC8? Now THAT is a car they really should have homologated!

BTD
BTD Reader
3/16/18 2:15 a.m.
te72 said:

Refresh my memory, isn't the 1MZ the engine that was in the Camry that GRM tried to hop up a few years back? The one that had a couple issues with sludge basically trashing the engine?

Yes. Because of the angle the engine sits at, oil will pool in one of the heads under hard cornering which then leads to starvation. The only real solution is an accusump/oil accumulator, which has been used by multiple amateur race teams with success.  

SARD MC8 is possibly the coolest car to ever be produced by Japan.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8q7sGEHZt3BQRJ1yqDwB2m8PVXglzGiKn93EbTzyE2DbzPliplyRLLKpgM1Bjnhz