1 2
JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 1:51 p.m.

Got a track day on Saturday and need some brake pads. I ordered a set of EBC Yellowstuffs (actually two sets) about a month ago. They FINALLY arrived today and they are 4 pairs of rear pads. Total screw up from the vendor.

So, I have essentially one day to get a set of pads that will make it through an HPDE. Car is a Lexus SC300 with LS400 4-pot calipers up front. Weighs ~3000 lbs ready to race.

My question: if you had to buy a set of parts-store pads for use at a track day, what would you buy?

Thanks!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/9/14 1:57 p.m.

what year LS are the calipers off of?

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 1:59 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

'97

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/14 2:00 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Got a track day on Saturday and need some brake pads. I ordered a set of EBC Yellowstuffs (actually two sets) about a month ago. They FINALLY arrived today and they are 4 pairs of rear pads. Total screw up from the vendor.

That reminds me, I need to check on the EBC Yellows I ordered in October.

Anyway if you're restricted to typical nothing-special pads, I'd just run whatever metallics you can find.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/9/14 2:16 p.m.

Autozone sells Hawk.

See if they can overnight you a set of DTC-60s.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
1/9/14 2:18 p.m.

PBR Metal Masters

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/9/14 2:18 p.m.

Pep Boys also sells Hawk and i believe also EBC.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 2:45 p.m.

Ok, well it looks like nobody has anything even remotely capable that they can get in one day, so I'll just get a couple boxes of Wagner Thermoquiets and hope the OE pads that are in there now last most of the day...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/9/14 2:48 p.m.

In reply to JohnyHachi6:

Try tirerack and have them shipped NDA to the track.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

They don't have anything other than "Street" compound pads for the LS400. Pretty much the only track-oriented pads for this are custom-order or custom-made unfortunately.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/9/14 3:13 p.m.

get 2 sets … swap out the fronts after you finish the first day … assuming they'll last an entire day … maybe better to take 3 sets, check the pad thickness after the second session and then after each session

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/14 3:14 p.m.

Call Carbotech and see....can't hurt. What kind of tires are you running. If you're on street tires in this 'polar vortex,' you may not have enough grip to really punish your pads.

Otherwise, buy two front sets so you can switch pads and rebleed on lunch break if you really cook them.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 3:28 p.m.

Yeah, I'll definitely keep a close eye on them and have spares. It will be on "street compound" (BFG Rivals) and in the cold/rain (maybe) so that should certainly help.

Talked to Carbotech about a month ago. They had to custom make the pads and it was going to be ~$450 for all 4 corners and about 2 weeks delivery if I sent them cores, longer if not, IIRC.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
1/9/14 5:32 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote: PBR Metal Masters

If you can find them, this will do nicely. We ran a 14 hour chumpcar race with the Chumptegra and ran out of pad with about 15 minutes to go.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/14 5:45 p.m.

Treat the day as a no-brake exercise. You can learn a lot from bad brakes.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 6:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Cone_Junkie wrote: PBR Metal Masters
If you can find them, this will do nicely. We ran a 14 hour chumpcar race with the Chumptegra and ran out of pad with about 15 minutes to go.

Really wanted to do that - local NAPA can order them, but delivery is 3 days...

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 6:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Treat the day as a no-brake exercise. You can learn a lot from bad brakes.

True. Looks like that's what we'll do.

It's a shame because I really wanted to find out how well the EBC Yellowstuffs would hold up. I'll have to try to arrange another test day between now and the race.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
1/9/14 6:59 p.m.

I've been less than impressed with EBCs (had some fail at the track and delaminate), I'd get some hawks and run it hard.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
1/9/14 8:08 p.m.

In reply to carbon:

Would if I could. Hawk doesn't make any performance pads for these calipers. I love the DTC-60's on my miata though.

I think the delamination issue is a thing with the past for EBC. They had a lot of problems with that and have since changed the manufacturing process they use to bond the friction material to the backing plates.

midniteson
midniteson Reader
1/9/14 9:09 p.m.

I got some Performance friction pads from O'reiilys. The street pads held up to a track day in my Firebird on street tires.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/9/14 10:02 p.m.

Can you zip tie some dryer hose pointed at the inner disc/caliper?

Couldn't hurt!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
1/10/14 12:21 a.m.

Akebono ceramics.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
1/10/14 12:24 a.m.

Is there a Carquest near you? My local Carquest can get me parts same day if you call in the morning with no deposit...maybe their warehouse has some performance pads.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/14 6:02 a.m.

If you can get wagner, can you get the severe duty wagner pads? I know people that race them in Lemons and Chump.

What track are you going to?

Rob R.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/10/14 7:02 a.m.

Autozone used to carry performance friction, if not their dura last gold stopped way better than oem when I used them, but I never got to track day levels of abuse.

I also did a track day on the oem pads in my ms3(3100 lbs, 300 or so hp, so similar) and they held up fine, although I wasn't going balls out in the braking zones.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rmSrHcwaBbCrVLcKcL8ISD6R9uHwSH1CjTwRdtxTccOfRd3LG3R3co4oH8UYF0L3