1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/9/08 4:00 p.m.

I got a head unit that has a HDD on it. It also reads MP3, WMAs, ect off a DVD disc. I've been burning 4.7GB of music at a time and just putting it right into the HDD on the head unit. Just a tiny little disc, no usb ports, no cables, no iDouches, and pretty easy to navigate. It also has a 3.5inch screen, navigation, and DVD video playback, along with rear camera input, and an espresso machine.

YaNi
YaNi New Reader
7/9/08 7:41 p.m.

I have a Dual XHD6425, which I bought just after Christmas for around $130 shipped. I was a little hesitant after thinking about how the old Dual's were pretty junky, but the quality has greatly improved. I'd say it's on par with Sony/Pioneer. The receiver comes with front USB and Aux Inputs, and has a built-in HD radio. I think files from the USB drive sound better then CD, HD radio, or the aux input.

The only thing I don't like is that the equalizer only adjusts bass and treble, no midrange. There is an optional bluetooth adapter to connect the receiver with cell phones and mp3 players. I would definitely buy this radio again, there is nothing else that offers these features within $50 of the XHD6425.

924guy
924guy HalfDork
7/9/08 8:28 p.m.

im thinking about ditching the head unit completely in my 78 924, and just going with a small amp to drive the speakers, with the input source just an mp3 player(also has fm tuner) plug in the l/r channels with an adapter cable... i need the head unit space for more gauges, i can ditch the antenna and most of wiring, and reload as needed ... :)

ww
ww Dork
7/9/08 8:35 p.m.
Nomad wrote: If i spent money on a fancy ipod then I'd probably use the aux input but I've avoided those due to the annoyance I have with the proprietary files and so far it's been fine. USB for the car and a cheap mp3 player for the gym. I'm set.

I agree, that's why I didn't buy an iPod! I bought an Archos mp3 player so I didn't have to mess with the iPod's "proprietary" bs. But ANY mp3 player works with an AUX input, has it's own power source and will work on any head unit with an FM transmitter. I'd rather not be limited to only head units with USB port.

I replaced the head unit in almost all my cars with a model with an AUX input. My mp3 player remembers where it's paused and I can carry it with me as a portable hard drive.

P.S.

Unfortunately, my brother-in-law works for Apple and I broke down and got a 160GB iPod Classic for dirt money, so, as much as I hate the iPod/iTunes interface and proprietary/exclusive nature, I've turned to the dark side... ;( I guess I can be persuaded... for the right price...

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
7/10/08 12:40 a.m.

I've got a Sony with USB, AUX, and iPod input...oh and the classic CD. Talk about covering all bases.

AUX - Anything will work, but sometimes controlling the mp3 player can get anoying.

USB - great for changing up the music everyday (which I do) I literally download or rip a new cd almost everyday, and play the music for a week or so, and move on. Stuff I actually want to keep gets thrown onto the iPod. I once thought about using an external HD, but didn't like the idea of sorting through 40,000 songs for the one I want.

iPod - Great for super long playlists and endless hours of your most favorite tunes, the downside? My Sony has the worst possible way of sorting through all those endless hours of tunes. I wish I could use the volume wheel or something to more quickly go from Anthrax to Weezer. Instead, I've gotta push a button about 80 times, or go backwards through the list, which is quicker, but not any easier. I've resorted to making speciifc playlists of types of music, so I've got a recent playlist, rap, rock, indie, oldies, etc.

What I'd like to have was something that is exactly what i've got now as far as features, with a better way of controlling how to manuver around my USB and iPod file system.

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
7/10/08 12:55 a.m.
ww wrote: Unfortunately, my brother-in-law works for Apple and I broke down and got a 160GB iPod Classic for dirt money, so, as much as I hate the iPod/iTunes interface and proprietary/exclusive nature, I've turned to the dark side... ;( I guess I can be persuaded... for the right price...

Hook a brother up?

Oh, and I also just discovered the replacement of my model Xplod CD/AUX/USB/iPod now has a feature called Quick Browser. This feature allows you to use the volume wheel to search through music.

Of course...the added this only a year after I bought mine...

I wonder if I can get an update.

PHeller
PHeller New Reader
7/10/08 1:36 a.m.

Kenwood KDC-X692

I hear its one of the better ones on the market, as it can control USB and iPod with on screen wheel/scroll functions.

RobL
RobL New Reader
7/10/08 11:11 a.m.

I have one and I enjoy it. I drive 12+ hours to races so having a 2gig thumb drive works for me. It's easy to fill with some good music quickly and it's easy to change out when we switch drivers. I did not go for the DVD reader - ~9hours per CD and 22hours per thumb drive, it wasn't that important.

Ian F
Ian F New Reader
7/10/08 11:19 a.m.
924guy wrote: im thinking about ditching the head unit completely in my 78 924, and just going with a small amp to drive the speakers, with the input source just an mp3 player(also has fm tuner) plug in the l/r channels with an adapter cable... i need the head unit space for more gauges, i can ditch the antenna and most of wiring, and reload as needed ... :)

You know... I like that idea... I might see if there's a way to make that idea work in our old Volvo in lieu of spending mega-$$$ getting the vintage-style stereo converted with modern guts...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/10/08 11:28 a.m.

I bought a DVD player for one of my Opels to mount under the seat. It comes with a wired IR eye for the credit card sized remote control, and it has a couple of aux inputs. Mount the player under one front seat, a small amp under the other, wire in my XM tuner to one of the aux inputs and I-pod to the other and I've got all the stereo I'll ever need.

Between a couple DVDs full of MP3s and the I-pod my entire music collection goes with me, and the XM lets me tune in other stuff. The DVD player was under $40, and I had an extra amp sitting around, so it's a low-buck option as well. When I get real adventurous or have an extra $100 sitting around burning a hole in my pocket I'd like to add a rear view mirror with a tiny screen built in to make it easier to select music off the player and to add a back-up camera, but for right now I just hit random and go.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/14/08 2:17 p.m.

Woo hoo! Tweeter is going out of business - wait, that's a bad thing, that's my all-time favorite store - so I stopped by to see what they had. I ended up picking up a set of Polk db's and a Pioneer Premier for $215. It has an auxiliary input as well as usb, plays cds and mp3's and has a tuner. Now all I have to do is get it installed and fix the previous install (the headunit periodically falls out of the dash so I have to keep pushing it back in...).

Speaking of, anybody near NH that wants to do a stereo install for a free headunit? I'm pulling an Alpine DEH-1400 out for the Pioneer.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7cbT8pfP2woZj6CUjimBS5jOxZBbm7kIPrt2y2PWFMr4LZeuLKGstZFBJuEVt9kj