[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the May 2009 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Tires are the most consumed item in any racer’s garage. Top teams can go through multiple sets throughout the course of a weekend quest for gold, as fresh racing tires and the grip they can provide are the keys to victory in nearly any series. 

So how can …

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 3:05 p.m.

For a moment that thread title had me worried.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
3/9/17 4:05 p.m.

For a moment that thread photo had me worried!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/17 4:57 p.m.
Kylini wrote: For a moment that thread **photo** had me worried!

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
3/10/17 5:57 p.m.

Hell, I didn't even know they did that. I thought everybody kept their tires for testing, practice, whatever. Guess I haven't been running with the right crowd. Or maybe I am? Yes, I think so.

MGS10
MGS10 New Reader
3/12/17 10:52 a.m.

Just ordered some tires from John Berget a month or so ago. Put in an inquiry on the website because I figured it was after hours and got a call within about 15 minutes. Used racing tires are kinda the way to go, spend less than 300 a year on tires and run them till they chord, then do the same the next year. USDRRT is awesome as well. The article is dead on, get your tires early and look all the time because there might not be what you want when its available. Right now I have almost 2 full sets of tires for use this season because once the season starts they get harder to find.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
3/12/17 1:05 p.m.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
3/12/17 3:27 p.m.

I've found surgical gloves are the way to go. They come in packs of 100 and you get five uses out of each one. 10 if you turn them inside out...

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
3/13/17 11:51 a.m.

In reply to AClockworkGarage :

If you can fit inside a finger on a rubber glove, oh, never mind.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
3/15/17 7:59 p.m.

In reply to HapDL:

You know what they say: No glove, no love.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh HalfDork
3/15/17 8:39 p.m.

I've used John Berget and USDRRT as well, and haven't been disappointed.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
9/26/23 9:15 a.m.

"With new race tires generally running about $150 or more apiece"

gotta update those prices, thats the used tire price now crying

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WMPrcdOCYwcKIKSCYTFY0FZErLsVTmgqpebJmdy6t91pwHcWNFHMPRwQx0UlqYHB