1 2 3 4
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 10:27 a.m.

Light hearted holiday banter.  What did you used to make light of but now you’re “that guy”

I used to joke about WRX guy telling everyone about how super they are and the AWD is amazing now I’m subaru fanboy and I love my WRX.  

Also I used to joke about LS swap guy because they were so expensive and they all paid to have harnesses made because they didn’t get their hands dirty.  Then I did one of the first B body gm swaps and did the 5.3 Datsun challenge swap, now I have 3 LS swapped cars and am collecting parts to do a 5.3 in the chevelle.  I’m totally LS swap guy.  I’ve pioneered a couple things now people treat me like I know what I’m doing and seek me out for advice and information, which is still totally foreign to me.  

Spill the beans.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/24/18 10:33 a.m.

I used to joke that if you drove a corvette in the rain, it would shrink and become a miata. 

I now own a gm powered miata....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 10:42 a.m.

Never going to own any car newer than 1972 because they got ugly bumpers after that.

Ha, ha.... ha.....

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/24/18 10:43 a.m.

I have two Miatas. sad

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/24/18 10:45 a.m.

I swore I'd never have a mid-life crisis and buy a stupid,  impractical car.

I bought an FR-S. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/18 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

The FR-S is supposed to the second coming of the AE86 (well, third, if the second was the Altezza) and the AE86 was a Corolla, and what is more practical than a Corolla?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/24/18 10:56 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I have two Miatas. sad

I used to make hairdresser jokes about Miata owners.  Now my wife calls me a "Miata cult leader".  Not only have I owned two, I've talked at least five other people into buying them.  

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
12/24/18 11:06 a.m.

Who, me?   Nothing.  Nothing at all. <discretely pushes garage remote to hide corvette>

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/24/18 11:07 a.m.

OMG look at those idiots at Barrett Jackson paying silly money for common cars just because they had them in high school 

Now I pay silly money on BAT (2 purchases so far), to re buy cars I had as youth - looking for number matching perfect examples 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
12/24/18 11:10 a.m.

I swore I'd never buy a cute little SUV because there not great at anything. My wife now owns an escape. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/24/18 11:21 a.m.

In an odd way I’m turning into my father who was a good guy but for some reason it must represent “old people” to me and I don’t want to be him (old?)    

I mentioned to my 16 year old daughter about dating guys that are sometimes European- they have Russian hands and Roman fingers.  I used a wacky voice and my oldest son said I sound like Pa.   

Oh yeah, I’m becoming my dad.  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
12/24/18 11:29 a.m.

I use to make fun of guys with cars on blocks in the yard or driveway.... Then a few weeks ago this happened:

I've crossed a line for sure.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
12/24/18 11:33 a.m.

I used to make fun of people for being dumb because they bought "slower" cars when they could buy "faster" cars (e.g., camaro vs. 911). 

Now I own a FRS... 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/18 11:44 a.m.

I used to make fun of guys that spent a lot of money on cars for refinement and handling when you can buy a cheap Mustang or Camaro and mod it to annihilate anything in a racetrack; now I own two Porsche’s that are slow and a stock Miata......  I have a challenge Mustang brewing though and it’ll be slow too, because it takes a lot of money to make one fast or massive skill amd a stash of cheap parts I don’t have.

Oh and I sometimes say crap my dad used to say to my kids, and it’s terrifying (to me).  

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
12/24/18 11:46 a.m.

I used to be the guy that thought all subie drivers were annoying because all they did was talk about how great their cars were. Now I own a WRX and do the same thing.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/24/18 11:53 a.m.

I used to say I'd never DD a car that wasn't an auto. 

I love my automatic+V8 Luxobarge. I would prefer to row my own gears in it, but not so much that I'm looking for a different car.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
12/24/18 12:02 p.m.

As a teenager I swore I’d never be one of those guys that had a cool first car, sold it and now drove stock junk...

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/24/18 12:06 p.m.

Auto and AC. 

My Cummins has an OD 727 (basically), and I have no desire for a stick in it. This was my first auto ever.

My brand new Honda Fit had AC, and I loved it. Never want to go back.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
12/24/18 12:28 p.m.

I swore I’d never drive a sedan or really a 4 door anything, and I’d never own an automatic. Heck I was going to be on 2 wheels for life when I left for Alaska! Since I’ve had kids I’ve now had a sedan (manual trans), a wagon (manual trans), and now a 4 door automatic truck... and barely rode at all last year.

Some changes are for the better of course, because I was sure I had figured out that I’d never own a home, get married, and actually want to have an easy comfortable family sized vehicle. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
12/24/18 1:16 p.m.

I guess I am the automotive moron for the effort and expense I put into my projects. When I get too down on myself I just think of heroin junkies who have nothing to show for the fortunes they have spent. At least I've done better than that, if only barely.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/24/18 1:53 p.m.

I used to not like miata's because they were slow and I don't fit in them.  I now own a miata.  In my defense it's got a Flyin Miata turbo kit on it, so it's not totally slow but I still don't really fit in it...

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/18 2:25 p.m.

Diesel truck guys...I’ve had two obs F250 powerstrokes in the last year. 

Will
Will UltraDork
12/24/18 2:31 p.m.

I'm that guy who turns away people trying to buy the old cars in the driveway because I'm going to get around to fixing them someday...

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/24/18 2:47 p.m.

When I was in high school the bro dozer thing was just getting big so those of us in this part of kentucky that weren't already trying to look like we lived in a pop country video hated anything to do with a diesel engine... I don't own it anymore but I drove and enjoyed a 12 valve for a couple years and want another.

I also grew up in a family that hated Fords and suddenly I like Mustangs.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
12/24/18 2:49 p.m.

I used to claim that the only reason to own an auto was if you had a limb missing. Now I doubt I’ll ever buy another three pedal car. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WI0ObbpP73irngPUls20WwNDPMm1BFgDlH5bTav35KJ9xE85ccWiWczTs08uERWU