MattGent HalfDork
7/16/22 4:08 p.m.

Not super scientific, but data > opinions and feelings

https://youtu.be/njb7xJw0YOs

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/16/22 4:40 p.m.

I made little balsa wood scale boxes and set them behind a big shop fan I had

. Against the flat front trailer it took 5 pounds  Sharp cornered VNose was a shade under 4 pound while the rounded corner V nose was 2&3/4 pounds.  
 My 28' version only took an 1/8th of a pound more

.  I should have tried some tailgate treatments but I didn't think of it. I was using the whole back end  as a loading ramp and a way to keep the corners from breaking.  

MattGent
MattGent HalfDork
7/16/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Behind a truck?

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/16/22 6:27 p.m.
frenchyd said:

I was responding to the comment about why more corners in a trailer aren't rounded like mine were. .   
  Perhaps I should have clarified that and said, rounded corners  are difficult  and expensive to do.  

I understand... I just don't agree. Your method, back then, was difficult for you. 
But my statement was "easy enough, you'd think more would do it"

Your method sounds difficult. Other methods would not be. 

You assessment on the benefits of rounded corners  does agree with the NASA data I was referring to. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
7/17/22 9:03 a.m.

I don't understand what's you guys are debating...

Pretty much ALL enclosed trailers now have rounded corners. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/17/22 10:26 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

I was not aware we were arguing. 
He disagreed with a statement I made, I I pointed out why I think he is incorrect. Has not devolved into an argument, at least from my point of view. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/17/22 10:29 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That's an excellent example of why I say it's easy... but if you go down the road not too far from you (Douglas ga) you'll see that most are not made that way. Not all, obviously, but most. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/17/22 11:10 a.m.

Things do change.  Back in the 1970's when I was building and selling mine. I didn't see anyone else doing it.  Most are still made from sheet. Aluminum which requires a strong  frame to maintain structural integrity  as they go down the highway.  
  Mine were essentially a fiberglass Monique on. Light weight bed.  Built in 4 ft segments and fastened together.  Because of their lite weight and better drag numbers fuel mileage wasn't  hurt as much as the alternative.   
  I did learn not to just use gel coat to finish them.    The picture shows how it would turn from red to white in less than 20 years of sitting outside in the sun.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/17/22 11:13 a.m.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
raAcG8HnCcsLuLykvUcsFl2VdGML6nt1smSQ6t8vQKkpxSEdGtmu4kCeulRpoCoR