95maxrider
95maxrider New Reader
6/26/16 3:38 p.m.

Hi guys,

My wife has a 2001 V6 Ford Escape FWD with just under 200,000 miles on it, and it's been having some coolant problems recently that I just can't wrap my head around, and I could use some help in figuring things out. Here's what I know:

-I replaced about 50% of the coolant a few weeks ago with Ford green/distilled water. I say only 50% because I couldn't get the drain plugs on the block to open up, so I could only get coolant out of the radiator. The only way to fill it is through the cap on the overflow tank, and I let it burp and cycle through until the level seemed to stabilize.

-A few days ago I was driving the car around after bedding in new front brakes, then came home and parked it. I came outside 10 minutes later and was greeted by a large puddle of coolant under the car. By the looks of it, it had all come out of the coolant overflow tank vent hose. There was no trace of coolant behind the car in the street or driveway, so I believe it only overflowed after the car was parked. The only thing I could think that might have caused that was that I had overfilled the reservoir, since the driveway goes up hill and the vent hose is on the back of the overflow tank.

Here's a picture for reference:

-I topped it off and we headed off on a ~200 mile trip out into the WV wilderness for a friend's wedding. We stopped half way to find the overflow tank dry again, so I topped it off. After that, the low coolant light would come on and turn off as we drove up and down the hills, but the temperature never budged. I confirmed again that the fans were working.

-Before we drove home today, I topped off the overflow tank twice after it cycled it through the system. Again, after a while the low coolant light would come on and off, but the temperature never moved. We get home and the overflow tank is empty again, and it's clearly coming out through the vent tube. WTF?

I just can't figure out how or why it's spitting out coolant from the vent hose even after the overflow tank is empty. If the coolant was that hot, wouldn't it show as such on the gauge or throw up a light? The water pump is obviously working, and so are the fans. The only normal idea I had was the thermostat, but I couldn't really imagine a situation in which a bad thermostat could make problems like this. The only other idea I have is a head gasket about to go bad. I just did the oil a few days before the trip and I didn't see any coolant in it. But is it possible that the HG is failing in a way in which exhaust gases could be getting blown into the coolant, and forcing it out of the overflow vent tube? I'm about to buy a coolant system pressure tester for $40 just for E36 M3s and giggles to see if I can find any problems that way, but I kind of doubt it. What do you make of this? What else can I do to troubleshoot?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/16 4:04 p.m.

Either you did not get the air out of the system or HG. Head gaskets don't always mean coolant in to the oil. In fact the majority of the HG failure i have had or purchased have been failure in to the coolant system only.

Pull the plugs and pressurize the cooling system and see if it holds pressure. If not spin the motor over and look for coolant out the plug holes.

Clifton
Clifton New Reader
6/26/16 4:13 p.m.

Having dealt with a few 7mgte and 3vz blown headgaskets. When the engine is cold, start it and run it for a few seconds, 10 to 20 seconds was enough for mine. If it is leaking, you will have some pressure when you remove the cap. The pressure will not be from heat. You can also use a test kit the changes color if exhaust gases are in the system. I think I bought mine at Napa. Search for Lisle 75500.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/26/16 5:28 p.m.

Could be a radiator cap, they'll boil over at normal operating temps on a hot day if it fails.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/16 6:15 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: Could be a radiator cap, they'll boil over at normal operating temps on a hot day if it fails.

Good point. Always look at the simple things first.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
6/26/16 6:27 p.m.
dean1484 wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: Could be a radiator cap, they'll boil over at normal operating temps on a hot day if it fails.
Good point. Always look at the simple things first.

Yeppers! I have been bit in the azz by a dead radiator cap at least three times over the years, leading to coolant loss such as the OP described.

jmburgess
jmburgess None
12/27/18 11:20 a.m.

Hi,

Just curious if you found the solution?  I have the same make, model, mileage and symptoms... any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jmburgess

95maxrider
95maxrider Reader
1/3/19 7:26 a.m.
jmburgess said:

Hi,

Just curious if you found the solution?  I have the same make, model, mileage and symptoms... any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jmburgess

Hey, sorry for the delayed response, I wasn't getting email notifications about the thread.  The problem turned out to be the cap!  Start there and see what happens.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVYmIzrHNk9sYW6AoBAkaZAUXmJlXV1x5ZZ9YsAgaWwfWI9LXNmBzf9cpVLaWaBU