1 2 3 4 ... 12
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/11 3:51 p.m.

So what you are saying is a SRT4 engine would be better up front? j/k

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/5/11 10:38 p.m.

Well thummper i have good news and bad news for you.

The 606 trans in there is, internally, the same exact thing as the transverse 604 until you get to the output shaft, because of the different location/orientation of the differential, etc.

The good news is that, like the 604, the 606 is NOT a bad trans if it's treated well. As in, you need to run a trans cooler, you need to run the right fluid, you need to do a quick learn on it if its shifting weird, and you need to not overheat 4th gear.

I burned up 4th gear in my intrepid doing 130mph for a few miles. 4th is a very weak clutch pack in that trans (its the weakest in most trannies) and you CAN burn through it with 3.5 power if you really push it.

The other good news is that with 25" tires, you can do 136mph in 3rd before you hit redline if you have a prowler tcm (reflash your tcm to prowler's program) which allows you to hold 3rd to redline. Otherwise it'll forced upshift at either 4800 or 5500 depending on where the shifter's at.

If you never intend to try to get your box up to those speeds, it should never become an issue.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/6/11 10:07 p.m.

I want to just romp the onramps--and settle in to where she tells me under 75. seems that all the reading I have done are complaints from the town/country crowd, limp mode stuck in second, etc. I drove this car before I dissected her and I was impressed. this was the debut of a project that was supposed to show up a retiring Iacocca. [father of the mustang and k car]. a general from the newly acquired AMC, Lorenzo, had a special place in his heart for the north south design. maybe that wouldve been an AMC if they didnt get bought by chrysler. now, some cars off the line are lemons/bad luck. some are touched by angels. I like to buy the second kind when I need one. this will be the last OBD1 donor in the program. the data retrieval is so much better after '95. the serv packs were cheaply made in some[mitsubishi] which drove some loyals to mitsubishi in full irony. mitsu sort of screwed chrysler on some assemblies. I finally defined my engine room isloation structure in scale with the OE bed/seat assy, in full function as well. It will be a couple grand to rebuild that tranny when the time comes

I havent measured the dimensions of the frame or suspension, but theres a walk thru there that people like. just get an old dodge van from the sixties that had the engine there already--a strait six. todd

Vigo
Vigo Dork
2/7/11 12:41 p.m.

If you can get through this kind of swap you can probably get through rebuilding the 606 yourself. I rebuilt 606s and 604s, there are only a few tricks.

It wont cost you more than $500 to $1k total in parts to rebuild and $1k would be on the VERY high side (every single thing is broke).

Most limp mode issues come down to speed sensors or solenoid pack, and more often it's speed sensors. Those are external and cheap. The solenoid pack is ~$100 and you have to drop the valve body to get it.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/7/11 7:19 p.m.

I just put the pans back on --she has a new filter in there. the clutches can get cooked when speeding or towing in lockup. I expect the seals to be in need at best, but I have no leaks and will get her running again--I was shooting for end of feb for the running. If it's march, I won't hang myself.

snipes
snipes Reader
2/7/11 7:27 p.m.

ya that is a kick A$$ project. My buddy did a TDI and I like that swap a lot. But you had me at 930 axles.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/8/11 8:32 p.m.

jigging and welding up the rears will be fun when i finally clear the decks for it--I have sooooo many interruptions lately its just killing me--I go to the grocery and run home -- I gotta stay in my cave until this is done

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/8/11 8:59 p.m.

welcome, todd! great project, i like it a lot. i've toyed with the idea of that north-south 3.5L in the middle of a corvair, but i'm not a big fan of automatics. still, it hauled Mom's '94 intrepid ES pretty well, so it would certainly move the corvair OK at about 1200 lbs less curb weight.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/9/11 12:10 a.m.

in my feasability study I list the corv8 as one of the all-time greatest conversions, noting the rough spots, but the world class handling of the late corvair in middie mode is undeniable. it ranked in performance with the ac cobra. Im an old vair fan from the seventies, when my pop had a burro buggy with a rear engined 110. seems the svx took up the torch in the h6 category--but I loved the sound they made, especially with the magnesium fan--in 83 I put a crown 140 vair in my 64 baja bug and eventually the transvair kit from the renowned corvagen manx of huntington beach, ca from the seventies. it seems that the 1998 or 1999 high perf 3.5 all aluminum v6 would be better for the vair sedan. that lockup converter will make you proud at the pump. you may just keep the back seat too. Iam an old stick guy too and I'm just over it with this one. the autos are just as efficient now. I just saw a 65+ coupe in the jy in wilmington 2 weeks ago--hilltop pickyerpart this e/t weighs 691 lbs dry. I don't know what the vair e/t weighs thanks man

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/11/11 8:46 p.m.

the engine hole is getting tubing on the edges and the bedseat frame plane

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/13/11 9:00 p.m.

so the H frames are in, providing support for the bedseat and the engine lids. they are removeable so I can get the e/t out in the future for the freshen up.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/15/11 9:57 p.m.

the lid seal channels are in - next, the wiring tracks and mounting the powerbox and tcm plus various tabs for vacuum lines, etc.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/19/11 9:49 p.m.

the engine /trans plugs/solenoids the wire track the charcoal cannister and pcm

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo HalfDork
2/19/11 11:32 p.m.

The big welder sitting inside the van really sells the spirit of this project. Lookin good.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
2/20/11 12:06 p.m.

Great project!

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/21/11 10:27 p.m.

this was my initial proposal- Its taking shape now with all the vacuum lines

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/22/11 9:21 a.m.

In reply to thummmper:

your sketches > my CAD

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/23/11 12:53 p.m.

wires!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/23/11 1:31 p.m.

What the holy hell? How did I miss this thread?!?! This project kicks some serious butt. That motor was in my folks intrepid. I hated the way that car handled, but LOVED its acceleration. Thats gonna be one hellofavan! I also admire your sketching ability.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/23/11 1:43 p.m.

Great job keeping the wires neat!

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/23/11 8:50 p.m.

I farmed my suby conversion wires out in 08 and this is my first einstein electrically. I don't wanna re-engineer anything electronic, and, just like a proud father, I wanna give it what it needs. my little girl is growing up!!! {if I can just get her nervous system completed]

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/27/11 1:49 a.m.

Hazzah! adapted drive flanges are back. chrysler splines and beamer 930 cv flanges welded in and out by shirley design in huntington beach, ca. 714-897-1641 and machined to fit by SB Ent, next door. I missed the heat treater today but they will go back in on monday. awesome!!

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
2/28/11 9:06 p.m.

the beamer brake conversion jig is currently working- I'll weld some thingsin the morning that I fit at sundown today.

thummmper
thummmper New Reader
3/2/11 12:44 a.m.

beamer brake conversion jig is 60% done now

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/4/11 9:01 a.m.

The sweet smell of progress. Keep it up!

1 2 3 4 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WNGmGK7dAldsTlv2qZPlRogjoOQGiTuSt7VY3RQNY9KsHXskbwfeqp4dNJHAiycV