1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
thummmper
thummmper Reader
8/22/11 4:12 p.m.

drained that puppy this a.m. and she fizzed a lot when the baking soda went in. I am ferrying lumber to the work area for the roof I am building--. Glad I put that drain plug in there!! essential! too heavy to move full. It is dark grey inside.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
9/1/11 10:13 a.m.

I was just about to install the fuel tank when I started a little toilet float repair and the water bib on the floor broke off. after shutting off the water I started looking and the pipes are so rotten I am now in the middle of a copper repipe. I have to figure a way for solder to run uphill on my supply bibs under the sinks in 2 bathrooms. next time I will make it a little uglier and sweat those bibs on before I stub them in. I may have to use compression fittings. No-- I will slip a sleeve over and solder it from the inside of the pipe, down hill!! awesome!! [I just thought of it.] showering with a garden hose through the window is brisk like a running stream. dishes are piling up in spite of eating out, so I press on to finish. it's amazing how I took water for granted.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
9/11/11 8:23 p.m.

my front calipers and rotors are from a 87 xj12 jag sedan with the inlet moved to save the spindle web from carving and the mount holes drilled and tapped out to 16mm to reuse the vanagon bolts. and the rotorless hubs with 1/2x 20x 3" studs

thummmper
thummmper Reader
9/13/11 11:14 p.m.

bath Hose bib broke off at the floor and thrust me into a household total repipe. I would drink just so I could crawl into the spiders again. 1500.00 us just for materials. man, I have bitchen water pressure now! the workshop roof is going up now, so rain doesnt stop me like last year

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
10/29/11 10:50 a.m.

Just wanted to let you know I am continuing to follow this build and look forward to the next update.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/7/11 9:00 p.m.

sorry for the delay-- I lost a month with the building dept roundeeround . apparently, the park isnt allowing new structures on old coaches, sort of like "we'll take your 6400.00 but you wont get a job" btdt. {police academy] so I have a 3 inch round, galvanized tube soccernet-like structure on the fence that will support canvas-- a solar cover. I actually started prepping the right rear trail arm for welding today-beamer brake upgrade. got it back from my ex-machinist who tried to take it apart, so I reassembled it and ground off the rust. now I need to press in a new rubber bushing so it can mount in the jig properly for welding. installed my front bilsteins also. special brake flex lines are hanging, waiting for the second set of jag front calipers-[I destroyed the first] back from the machinist [ local]. fingers crossed

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/7/11 10:16 p.m.

Well good luck. I can't wait to see this thing done.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/11/11 10:15 p.m.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/16/11 8:01 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-dnyKQcl3o&feature=related

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
11/17/11 4:53 p.m.

Is this the before video for the motor ? Does this mean there is an after video coming soon ?

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/17/11 11:08 p.m.

its a video I got from youtoob. I will probably shoot an after piece. spring '12. the hubs are almost operational, and the halfshafts are the last mechanical issue between me and the wiring, which I do not want to be interrupted on, so i save that for last, then fluids and start. this spring. I dont know how long my little brain will take to get her strung. I will probably go through more ups and downs-- when i have a problem I havent solved, I play ghost recon and drink beer and watch movies until it comes. usually not long. or I go get a bite and I need a pen and a napkin to scribble it out on. I hope the vanagon wipers and headlights will take orders from chrysler switches. All I know is that when she runs again, I will be in shock.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
11/18/11 4:44 a.m.
thummmper wrote:

That looks really tidy in there. Nice job!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/23/11 7:50 p.m.

160.00 worth of spacerdapters for the rear hubs--bmw 735i to mbz

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/25/11 12:54 p.m.

thxgvg day I went junkin [half off] and got a third set of jag calipers which I will personally modify to suit. and the right rear trail arm for checking my fit jig on the beamer brake conversion . I also found jaguar has the same fuel pump as vanagon in the trunk, so It's clean ans probably provides better pressure.[I've been having problems lately with subyvan] --I'm running a volvo 740 pump right now with improved results but theres still an electrical glitch that makes it stumble occasionally. I have 2 new ign. switches and will install one asap. these are the sort of problems an old sw will cause.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/25/11 12:56 p.m.

the spacerdapter sets the wheel great in the well I am pleased so far the work area is shaping up too-- table #3 of 4 is in place and I will soon be able to stitch up the awning skin and the table covers.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
11/29/11 11:15 p.m.

if, for some reason, the fuel filler hdw becomes extinct, I have jeep wrangler fillers in sight. same app. similicious.

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
11/30/11 9:22 p.m.

wows

vw_jason79
vw_jason79 New Reader
11/30/11 10:15 p.m.

Great thread!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
12/5/11 1:07 a.m.

sewing the awning and it's finally up

egoman
egoman New Reader
12/5/11 5:11 p.m.

http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7995 What sort of jackass would use this chrysler crap???? Oh yea ME nevermind. Have fun!!!

thummmper
thummmper Reader
12/6/11 1:16 p.m.

EGOMAN!!! you have surfaced! I couldnt justify my qualifications to join the locost site to talk with you-- you have helped me with great tidbits regarding the wiring of this power kit. I have only found 3 other people that have reset this kit in other vehicles--a motorhome company in the midwest u.s.--a guy in ohio or? that built a single seat tube frame with yellow exhaust trim--richard at formula 1 street in new jersey who mass produces another open wheeled car for the street. and you, of course. we are a rare group.-- I am not going to address my wiring until i have the last mechanical items solved and installed--brakes and halfshafts. then I can totally focus on the wires. I will then have questions for you. I use your yootoobs as encouragement. great job giving it life. mine has been a hovercraft for over a year. todd http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/v6abduction/

thummmper
thummmper Reader
1/30/12 11:05 p.m.

I just saw this in a bug

thummmper
thummmper Reader
2/8/12 12:58 a.m.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
2/23/12 1:36 p.m.

the right rear trail arm finally takes shape-- I verified the tool with the trail arm I got in november- now that is a victim awaiting the conversion too[for the next one] I built a new bridge tool for the right side due to the hub angle specific to each side-here I am stealing the vw hub position in steel for the 735i hub placement and welded it on.

thummmper
thummmper Reader
2/26/12 10:37 p.m.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AdITOJ9s7hV1j673w8bV1m1IcrTQzw2Fr4HK4HG1uzYsTCsB40jljCJcgDPGBsRx