Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/4/22 12:41 p.m.
feature_image

Like most cars hitting the show field, our 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera needs a thorough detailing before heading out.

Unlike most of those cars, though, our 911 is heading to Radwood at The Amelia–meaning we’d need to add a few period accessories.

Read more about how we prepped the Porsche over on Classic Motorsports, and look for us on the show …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/22 12:42 p.m.

Not sure if it helps, but I already have a to-do list for the next one. Just ran out of time on a few details....

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/22 12:44 p.m.

Hmph. At the time I just called that "going somewhere".

Now get off my lawn.

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 12:46 p.m.

In reply to paddygarcia :

Yeah, that was kinda the joke. :)

(Okay, I normally don't wear a Swatch, so that's the big change.)

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 12:48 p.m.

Also, did Swatches tick this loudly back in the day? I treated myself to a new one. 

I found my college Swatch, and it's dead. High school Swatch is missing. If anything, guess my hearing still works....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/22 12:51 p.m.

Yeah, they were always loud. I've got a couple, including a Blackout that's the same as my high school watch.

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 1:10 p.m.

I admit, I have to keep it in a drawer. (I'm back wearing my Tissot PRS516 at the moment.)

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/4/22 1:32 p.m.

Never had a swatch as I was too cool for watches at the time. I take the 5th on a Stussy hat, but would propose that Radwood calls for one.

I did special order my Vans. Is that even a thing anymore?

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 1:35 p.m.

In reply to paddygarcia :

Yes, can totally special order Vans. Now it's done online, so no need to fill out that form. I have a few pair still sitting in the box: custom Sk8-Hi’s, DogTowns and Old Skool Canvas, a model sadly NLA. 

I'm wearing the ever-fashionable black/white slip-ons now, but I am a fan of the high-tops and Old Skools. They have a bit more support, too. I know, getting old. 

You know, I still have a pair from high school. Maybe for this weekend....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/4/22 2:39 p.m.

I don't need a new pair of shoes or a new watch, but all this talk about Vans and Swatches is making me think that might have to change.

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 2:50 p.m.

I do like the Swatch. But when sitting here working, I do hear the tick, tick, tick.

But it looks cool. 

I really wanted to wear my old one, but it's just tagged. 

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 2:51 p.m.

And gotta represent. 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/4/22 3:20 p.m.
paddygarcia said:

Never had a swatch as I was too cool for watches at the time. I take the 5th on a Stussy hat, but would propose that Radwood calls for one.

I did special order my Vans. Is that even a thing anymore?

Yes it is, currently wearing Old Skool Pro BMX Enarson's and just got a new set of blue suede Old Skools. Swatch? No, never liked them.

Keith Tanner
3/4/22 3:26 p.m.

If I was going to be wearing my high school shoes to go with my high school Swatch, they'd be Nike cross trainers.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
3/4/22 3:27 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

I don't need a new pair of shoes or a new watch, but all this talk about Vans and Swatches is making me think that might have to change.

I need a new pair of shoes, and typically spring for clearance Vans anyway... I also never need new watches, but boy do I want one now!

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 4:09 p.m.

I can drive up to Amelia on 35-year-old plates, right? 

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 7:07 p.m.

And guess I'm as ready as I will be. 1984, here I come. 

Keith Tanner
3/4/22 8:49 p.m.

What was the crossover between BMXers and 911 owners in 1984? ;)

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

A few, if you fudge it a year or two, and don't quote me because this is from memory: Woody Itson, Eddie Fiola (I believe), Mike Dominguez, Oz (BMX Action publisher), Lin Kastan (Redline owner). Greg Hill had a 944.

And then stuff like this.

Stu Thomsen:

Tim Judge:

David S. Wallens
3/4/22 9:04 p.m.

And I think I'm ready. I watched this:

And then packed my carry-along detail kit. Yes, that's a Vans fanny pack. 

Keith Tanner
3/4/22 9:37 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

A few, if you fudge it a year or two, and don't quote me because this is from memory: Woody Itson, Eddie Fiola (I believe), Mike Dominguez, Oz (BMX Action publisher), Lin Kastan (Redline owner). Greg Hill had a 944.

And then stuff like this.

Stu Thomsen:

Tim Judge:

Is that what we can expect to see? Man, now I wish I could be there.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/5/22 7:47 a.m.

Off Topic, but...  the Saratoga Auto Museum currently shows one model for every year Porsche RS were made.  At the end of March it flips to something else,  swap out every 6 months.  Through the summer it will be Radwood Cars.  =~ )

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/5/22 8:43 a.m.

David,

When you are at Redwood, look for the 1990 Q45.  It is the $2015 Challenge 10th place finisher and winner of Aristocrat Class.  The car is now in the hands of a recent new owner who has primed it for Radwood.  Get some current pictures.  

I purchased that car from an IAA auction for the princely sum of $900 after having been hail damaged.  Surprisingly it still wore a clean title.  It also had a dried out master cylinder resulting in no brakes.  $54 for the replacement master cylinder.   The car had just 69k miles back in 2015.  The interior was mint.  

In 2017, the car competed in the Roadkill Hootpie Challenge Zip Tie Drags going 3 rounds out of 5 rounds

Introduced in this video at the 57 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99c5uefrsE&ab_channel=Geeds%27Garage

David S. Wallens
3/7/22 12:39 p.m.

That was fun–and very cool seeing some familiar faces.

Radwood Porsche recap can be found here.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ryvD4G7nVrgjTAHk28AXXKvWA9CEgaIYLIFnk2WBAdUdDCWuQAq3sxVTbjz4GLk2