1 ... 3 4 5 6
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/30/21 10:21 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Agreed. Ford has made no effort and GM has only made weak/confusing efforts like the still-born-ness of the SS. 

As stated above, if you could pay similar to the price of an entry level Camaro for an entry level ATS (sure, forgoing some of the lux but replacing it with more function oriented sport) I think you'd have a seller on your hands. 

Yes.

I have no interest in an behemoth SS.  That thing is a monster of a car with a monster price as well.  But the Camaro/ATS chassis is great and the 4cyl and V6 versions still have excellent performance.  Give me that in 4 door form without bumping the price by $15k.

I'd also be interested in a 4 door 2.3L Mustang.  A 2021 LTD if you will laugh

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/21 10:26 a.m.

Mk8 Fiesta ST. They make it, but we can't have it. :(

I am all for having a sport version of everything, remember when there was an SS version of everything Chevy made? Why not now?

Accord Si (More than the sport but not as wild as the CTR. Something to fill the gap from the departed Sentra SE-R, Intrepid RT, Legacy B-Spec and other performance sedans not made in Germany. Even the Fusion Sport is dead).

Turbo BRz. - I mean come on. WTF.

VW Rabbit - I love the GTI and the R, but how about a stripped-down model with the GTI drivetrain and AWD? Lose 250 pounds of doo-dads and tech, make it a manual.

Kia Forte Wagon N line  - 275HP Wagon, please, its easy, just do it. I know the Elantra is already avaialble in Europe, I just like Kias better.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/30/21 11:16 a.m.

Ford is already telling us that the Huge 4 door electric car is a Mustang.  

How about we add this too?  Charge $800 more for the 2 more doors and leave all the option packages the same.  

Then do the same at the dealership across the street...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
4/30/21 11:48 a.m.

In keeping with the theme that we know better than Ford execs: That electric “Mustang” should have been a Lincoln.

Cover your new electric halo car with sleek modern luxury. Instead it got kinda boring styling and a confusing (or sacrilegious, depending who you ask) name.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/30/21 12:30 p.m.

A wagon with the size and attractiveness of the Allroad, but made by Honda with a J35 mounted longitudinally.

Or, if we're just dreaming of awesome cars that can't happen: reliable, cheap to repair Audis.  Done.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
4/30/21 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In a way, Europe did get just this.  They got a Magnum with the front clip from a Chrysler 300 AND a turbocharged diesel to boot.  I can't remember which transmissions were available. 

The end result was sold in Europe as a Chrysler. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/30/21 1:00 p.m.

I don't want a car 2 miles long though.  The ATS has a shorter wheelbase than the Camaro.  Just put some Camaro styling on it, a Chevy badge, and de-feature the interior.  

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/21 1:06 p.m.

I still think Nissan should have offered the VQ35 in the 01-06 Sentra. Transmission is the same as the SE-R already (minus the bellhousing). Fits perfectly. In 2003 that would be 240hp/246tq, manual trans 4dr in the 2800lb range. 

It's basically SRT4 neon specs on paper, which also debuted in 2003.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/30/21 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

The Maxima in 2002-03 had 260hp IIRC with the SE/6-speed manual. It was a big deal back then. I remember "going to get gas" with my sister with the first one off the truck at the Nissan dealer she worked at. We encountered a late model C4 on the way and lined up against it at a stop light and dusted the thing. Those were really quick at the time! That drivetrain in a Sentra would have been magical.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/21 1:56 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

A wagon with the size and attractiveness of the Allroad, but made by Honda with a J35 mounted longitudinally.

Or, if we're just dreaming of awesome cars that can't happen: reliable, cheap to repair Audis.  Done.

If it's reliable, why does it need to be cheap to repair?

i have a 72k mile J35 ten feet from me that needs a teardown and possible new engine block due to oil consumption.  Just sayin'.  (It's juuuust outside of warranty)

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/30/21 2:06 p.m.

Reliable, cheap to repair Audis used to be called Volkswagens.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/21 2:17 p.m.

Even allroads are a bit big for my taste. I enjoy driving my b5 avant more than my buddies allroad. If they made a modern b5s4. Like an rs3 wagon but actual quattro (longitudinal not transverse).

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/21 2:20 p.m.
iansane said:

Even allroads are a bit big for my taste. I enjoy driving my b5 avant more than my buddies allroad. If they made a modern b5s4. Like an rs3 wagon but actual quattro (longitudinal not transverse).

Actual quattro, you mean like with locking center and rear diffs? wink

I'll take a Haldex over the Torsens, personally.  The Torsens don't seem to be very predictable when the tires are slipping.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Ha, I don't need that extreme. It's definitely cool in a gimicky kind of way though. The audi 90 I traded had the locking rear which was fun. And the new owner of the 90 has a 4k as well with both center and locking rear. I can't convince him to six speed swap the car because he doesn't want to give up the locking center diff.

I just want fast, small, rwd/awd wagon. Not a hatchback. Those are cool but not enough cargo room.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
4/30/21 3:49 p.m.

2.7L "Baby Viper" Dodge Copperhead-

V10 Chrysler Firepower

AWD Accord
New Accord hatchback (and yes, with AWD)
GMT400 with TPI 350
Panther Crown Vic with 5.4
A Chevy version of the CTS, and yes, call it a Chevelle
4dr Ranger with a 6.5' bed

regular, ordinary F150 with Godzilla

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/21 7:02 p.m.
Carsandbikes said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In a way, Europe did get just this.  They got a Magnum with the front clip from a Chrysler 300 AND a turbocharged diesel to boot.  I can't remember which transmissions were available. 

The end result was sold in Europe as a Chrysler. 

I know of the euro car. A Magnum with a 300 nose is not a Magnum with a Charger nose :) 

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
4/30/21 9:20 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

1 ton 4 door mini trucks with diesel power plants and manual transmissions.

Actually, they MAKE them, but not available in the US

Immensely useful things. I see them all the time. 

https://www.hyundai.com/kr/en/commercial/porter2-special/dump-truck

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
4/30/21 9:21 p.m.
fatallightning said:
DaewooOfDeath said:

The EF generation Sonata/Optima twins have 4g63s, double a-arm suspension all around and don't weigh much. If only the Mitsubishi Sirius engines weren't so notoriously difficult to turbocharge that could have been a really cool 2000s N series Hyundai.

New edge Mustangs but instead of the heavy, massive, anemic mod motors FOMOCO decided to update the Windsor with an aluminum block and ls-style heads. That said, whenever you have the opportunity to make your engines bigger, heavier, less efficient and less powerful ...

GM could have decided to import the Torana and the Holden 308/304 engines that went along with them if not for the sacred Corvette protection.

3SGTE engines in the AE86 would have been hilarious fun in a black widowy sort of sense. 

Nissan could have resisted the urge to develope multiple iron block, aluminum head DOHC twin turbo six cylinder engines in the 80s and 90s, avoided technophile bankruptcy and blessed us all with RB series Z cars. 

Flat sixes in literally any front engined Porsche would be ultra cool (and replace a lot of relative turd engines). 

AWD Honda Civic Type R, any generation but mostly EG. 

There was a JDM market Z31 with an RB20DET stock, the 200ZR.

That's cool enough to make me want a Z31 again. :)

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
4/30/21 10:24 p.m.
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) said:

AWD Accord
New Accord hatchback (and yes, with AWD)
GMT400 with TPI 350
Panther Crown Vic with 5.4
A Chevy version of the CTS, and yes, call it a Chevelle
4dr Ranger with a 6.5' bed

regular, ordinary F150 with Godzilla

They made a hatchback Accord with optional AWD, and it was ugly enough that it didn't last long:

AaronT
AaronT Reader
4/30/21 11:02 p.m.

I'm casting another vote for a Toyota gt/gr86 with a Toyota motor. I'm not saying it has to be the 3 cyl from GR Yaris, but it should be 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
5/7/21 2:13 a.m.

I wish Toyota made the S-FR (specifically the GR S-FR) a production reality... they had running examples. I was 100% ready to sell my FR-S for it 5 years ago in a heartbeat if it ended up 1) materializing into production 2) being available in the US, and 3) I would have fit in it.  Toyota 4-cylinder NA motor with GT86 sourced running gear/transmission and lighter two seat only chassis...under 2200lbs weight.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/7/21 9:51 a.m.

Honda needs to make an EG hatch with a K24

drock25too
drock25too Reader
5/7/21 11:24 a.m.
Cooter said:

2.7L "Baby Viper" Dodge Copperhead-

V10 Chrysler Firepower

Either one of them would be hard to resist. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/21 12:28 p.m.

Wagons, light weight, with some performance, dammit!

I don't ever want to own a European car, and I gave up on my WRX wagon after six months.

My 04 Ralliart wagon has been reliable for 12 years. They should've brought over the Evo wagon.

I have this.

I want this. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H6c3AmWvseIw0aeUoZ8giJQUBxZRv1C5AatjevVeh08XZ8RsuKjY8TwR8SJLOltD