1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
10/12/17 3:51 p.m.
Fr3AkAzOiD said:

May give vented a try on the front of my Malibu if its not a big hassle.

With about 3300 lbs braking on the main strait at VIR I notice I get two laps where I can brake just after the 3 mark but after that I need to back it off 50-75 feet.

I would be terribly surprised if your Malibu doesn't already have vented rotors.  Are you maybe thinking of drilled rotors?

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
10/12/17 8:51 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Fr3AkAzOiD said:

May give vented a try on the front of my Malibu if its not a big hassle.

With about 3300 lbs braking on the main strait at VIR I notice I get two laps where I can brake just after the 3 mark but after that I need to back it off 50-75 feet.

I would be terribly surprised if your Malibu doesn't already have vented rotors.  Are you maybe thinking of drilled rotors?

I was thinking slotted rotors, mine are vented.

Hence the question about pad wear and drilled rotors cracking.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/13/17 6:41 a.m.

In reply to singledownloop : old car use solid rotors! My Black Jack special had the original 1958 style solid rotor  with original Dunlop style calipers.  That  beast got up to 155 at Elkhart Lake.  Which is a 4 mile long track with three effectively long straights followed by tight corners. Indy car guys used their biggest vents and countless people had brake fade issues. I never did.  

Racing Pads and fresh brake fluid  allowed me to outbrake  vented rotor cars lap after lap.  I later raced a Devin bodied modified with twice as much horsepower and still solid rotors .  Again never an issue with brake fade.  

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/13/17 7:34 a.m.

In reply to singledownloop :

I would rethink your choice of caliper.  The GM caliper is a single piston design and not particularly good for road racing. I'd look for a later Volvo spindle with disk brakes and use that.  Then you can simply bolt on  Wilwood calipers which come in a massive choice of designs ( and prices).  Not only can you get a great variety of calipers you can also select pads for the type of track you are most likely to race at.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SP9ydULvgEVFA338dTGYbAGk2AMf98a4MRSRzXkg9X4uWD8TZyPuytLUc3oHpmwb