1 2 3
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/17/19 12:22 p.m.
feature_image

News outlets like Auto Motor und Sport reported that in testing today, a modified version of the Tesla Model S ran an unofficial time of 7:23 at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, a full 20 seconds faster than Porsche's newly unveiled Taycan Turbo S. We're unsure just how modified the Model S was, but it's still not quite an apples to apples comparison regardless. Still, it may …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 12:37 p.m.

This is an excellent example of racing improving the breed. In order to pull this off, Tesla is having to address all sorts of cooling concerns that were problematic in earlier versions of the Model S. They're also updating the previous-gen motors. I'm pretty sure this is a three-motor version of the car which isn't currently available, but it certainly could be in the future. It's highly unlikely Tesla is doing this with a car you can buy today, but that's okay in my books. They're pushing the limits.

It's hard to have a Tesla conversation without getting all tied up with personal opinions about Elon Musk, but if you can manage to ignore that it's pretty darn exciting. A good 'Ring time is a lot more applicable to most of us than a run up Pike's Peak, and it's great to see the EVs finally getting to this point.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/17/19 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Not only that, but 20+ seconds is a healthy bit of time, even at the lengthy Nordschleife.  And some outlets are reporting that the time may have been set in traffic. Should make for an interesting official time. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/17/19 12:48 p.m.

A good news month for Teslas on the performance front, as a gutted Tesla also completed Drag Week, making it the first electric vehicle entered and it also knocked the Tesla quarter mile record back a few hundredths. 

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/19 12:53 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Not only that, but 20+ seconds is a healthy bit of time, even at the lengthy Nordschleife.  And some outlets are reporting that the time may have been set in traffic. Should make for an interesting official time. 

20 seconds is a freaking eternity. Imagine the Tesla whooshing past the start/finish line and then start counting down a Twenty-Mississippi.  Taycan wouldn't even be in sight when the Tesla finished, and without the engine noise you may even be able to hear actual crickets.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/19 12:56 p.m.

Your move, lotus evija.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 1:09 p.m.

As much as the power of electrics is impressive, I'd still rather have a new or old, (insert just about any screaming fuel powered vehicle). 

Up to and including this.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/17/19 1:14 p.m.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s revealed tomorrow it was a stripped out interior, on super soft tires.  By then, the ‘damage’ is already done, and everybody will have moved on.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/17/19 1:16 p.m.

I will believe it when they post the lap and the modifications but there is no freaking way it did that on the tires they ship the car with, and at factory weight. They beat the XE Jag by what 0.7 seconds at LS (unofficial) and that did a 7:18 on cup 2's with a fully stripped interior at the ring with a pro driver and multiple attempts over weeks. 

To put it in context that is 12 seconds slower then a Nissan GT-R Nismo  which ran a 7:08.68 in litteral perfect conditions.  The time difference is the same between the Porsche and the Tesla as the Tesla is to a Radical SR8. WE are talking orders of magnitude. 

Keith Tanner
9/17/19 1:20 p.m.

It's not going to be a car that's right off the showroom floor.

The tires are off-the-shelf street tires, they're just not currently on the option sheet. That's easy enough to fix if you want to pick that particular nit. The likelihood of the powertrain being a prototype for the next generation is very likely, and that's a much bigger deal. That doesn't mean they didn't do the time, though, and in doing so they're pushing the boundaries.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 1:44 p.m.

The Chiron that set the "production" car record at 300+ mph was heavily modified. Maybe they are going to release a version that matches that spec, but to call it a production car record at this point is laughable.

The Civic Type R that set the FWD 'Ring record had a cage for safety (though the weight was offset by removing a few things) and stickier tires. That's about as close to truly production as I have seen. 

This Tesla was no doubt modified, but if Elon is responding to Porsche's whining about heat management issues by fixing said issues on newer models, I am all for it!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 1:59 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

The Chiron that set the "production" car record at 300+ mph was heavily modified. Maybe they are going to release a version that matches that spec, but to call it a production car record at this point is laughable.

They are, the Super Sport 300+ model:

https://www.motor1.com/news/369478/bugatti-chiron-super-sport-300/

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/19 2:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The tires are off-the-shelf street tires, they're just not currently on the option sheet. 

Correct - same as the Laguna lap. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R in an already existing fitment.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/17/19 2:07 p.m.

I must admit I was skeptical, but they appear to have pulled it off. Impressive!

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/17/19 2:21 p.m.

So modifying a car to significantly increase both the grip and the power to weight ratio significantly lowers lap times...Who knew?

While it's very impressive for what it is, and represents some real progress from Tesla, from a manufacturer standpoint I still have to give more credit to the cars that do it as delivered off the showroom floor.  Thus the Taycan is still the more impressive 'production' car time to me.  Adding better (typically R-comp) tires is the same as flashing a tune that cranks the boost in my opinion.  Either way it's 'just' something off-the-shelf available from somebody or another, but if your car needs that to 'beat' the competition, it should have been spec'd that way in the first place.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/19 2:22 p.m.

Road & Track’s article states:

• gutted interior
  • carbon ceramic brakes
  • wider tires along with over fenders to accommodate the wider wheels. 
  • rear gurney flap
  • 3 motors (2 rear/1 front)

I don’t care, I think its awesome. 

Grantsfo
Grantsfo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/19 2:39 p.m.

.....really?  A highly modified and stripped out Tesla with an extra motor and flared with big tires beat a stock Porsche EV?  ...No way!  More interesting to me are production car capabilities on ring.  

Keith Tanner
9/17/19 2:41 p.m.

Just call it the GT3 and put it on sale next week.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/17/19 2:46 p.m.

I like that they care, doesn't matter why. EV's that make good track cars are good for all of us. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/17/19 2:50 p.m.

Not exactly a production car, having 50% more motors than anything they sell off the shelf and all, but if they make a production version of it all will be forgiven.

Individual wheel motors at the rear would be a nice improvement over a diff. I'm guessing they made a new unit to replace the diff housing/powertrain coolant manifold piece to run individual wheel motors and fix the cooling system design flaws at once.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/19 2:50 p.m.

Why all the complaining? This is great for the world of Motorsport just as Keith stated. Innovation and competition moves things forward. 

Error404
Error404 New Reader
9/17/19 2:59 p.m.

Someday these will eclipse ICE cars and I will be sad. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/19 3:09 p.m.
Error404 said:

I think that day is here in many more ways than not. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/17/19 3:14 p.m.
Slippery said:
Error404 said:

From a driving perspective, EV's are (or can be) freaking great. Bring prices down and range up and I'm sold. 

Error404
Error404 New Reader
9/17/19 3:17 p.m.
Slippery said:
Error404 said:

You're not wrong. I drove my gf's '13 Focus and it is very modern (for it's time) and they had already managed to suck the driving experience out of it with gratuitous features and styling. 

There are people that love all the features, people that love them because they think they have to have them, and there's luddites. I fall firmly and happily in the luddite category. Turning a key, hearing the character of an engine, driving instead of stabbing at touchscreens or yelling at your digital assistant.... I'm gonna miss it. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rn3utcIvbkQrqH4BFRKQfQDX1MGOO6YmQSKwlFsiUP7rrAR35W2c1HSeQNA2ty5H