David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/11/19 1:20 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-UQYDe7VXRs

Is your car’s underhood insulation falling down and looking all gross and grody? Well, your friends at GRM are here with a quick, effective solution. Our subject is our BMW 318is project.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/11/19 3:06 p.m.

TV party tonight. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
12/11/19 4:41 p.m.

Where, when, where's my invite ??

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/11/19 5:36 p.m.

I take it that the OEM die cut foam insulation isn't available anymore from the dealer?

I went through the same routine with my e28 a few years ago and was still able to get the OEM stuff.  Cleaning off the old foam and adhesive was a pain, it took a lot of 3M adhesive remover to get it all removed.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/11/19 6:18 p.m.

What's that covering on Tim's workbench?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/11/19 7:19 p.m.

I was just going to remove it from the 944 and leave it that way. Any reason I shouldn't?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/11/19 8:59 p.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

What's that covering on Tim's workbench?

Warren Martin,'99 Miata,'03 CooperS,'91 GTI 16V,06 Scion Xb ,73 Corolla SR5, 2019 GMC Canyon

Commercial-grade carpeting

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/11/19 9:02 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I was just going to remove it from the 944 and leave it that way. Any reason I shouldn't?

It may be a little louder, but it won't hurt anything to leave it off.

Lug_Nuts_23
Lug_Nuts_23 New Reader
12/11/19 9:18 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Well it also means more heat gets to your hood, which over a long period of time can make the paint more prone to cracking from getting heat cycled. This may not be a big deal though; lots of cars don't have under hood insulation and you will probably get more significant results by using some kind of wax/polish to protect the paint from dirt/grit/UV.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/19 10:06 p.m.
Lug_Nuts_23 said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

Well it also means more heat gets to your hood, which over a long period of time can make the paint more prone to cracking from getting heat cycled.

This, I added insulation to my Corolla's hood to prevent a reoccurrence of this. The paint first got cooked off the hood in a rectangle right over the engine.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/11/19 10:50 p.m.

I've never personally experienced enough heat on a hood to damage the paint, but I suppose it's possible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1itTjPBSfkL5ptsG2kdXjMhxXZ3ukDSM7BLpEZfYE8XVe4A9qvOLVGyOKvatdvM7