David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/29/20 2:59 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rqajVHN7hfc

Our friends at Super 70s Sports were right: There’s just way too much to digest in the opening credits for Starsky & Hutch. And are they chasing the Lincoln or is the Lincoln chasing them?

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support Grassroots Motorsports by becoming a Patron today. 

Watch more videos

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/29/20 3:16 p.m.

This is kind of the gold standard, but I'll also throw in an honorable mention for Hardcastle & McCormick. High marks for car-based crime fighting action, two-fisted Kirkpunch to the back and judicious narrative use of sleeveless shirt. Points of for way too many two-shots of people talking, then pausing, then smiling at each other like they finally got the joke at the same time after about 20 minutes.

David S. Wallens
7/29/20 3:22 p.m.

Hardcastle et al: two stars, five first names. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/20 4:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
And are they chasing the Lincoln or is the Lincoln chasing them?

They've mastered playing hard to get and let the Lincoln chase them until they caught it?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/20 6:26 p.m.

I always wanted a Starskey & Hutch Torino, but honestly now I'd rather have that Lincoln. 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/29/20 6:58 p.m.

The Hardcastle clip shows a Veglia tachometer and a shift gate out of a Ferrari, then a Manta Montage kit car going airborne. 

These are not all the same car. 

R56fanatic (Forum Supporter)
R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
7/29/20 8:18 p.m.

On the topic of car themed cop shows - anyone remember the very short lived series with Kim Basinger driving a VW Bug with a Porsche 6 cylinder engine in it?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
7/29/20 8:19 p.m.

"Co-starring Butcher Brannigan as the Wrestler."  You can't make this stuff up.  On a related note, what on Earth was the thought process that led Ford to put frameless windows on a Lincoln the size of a two-bedroom apartment?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/29/20 8:21 p.m.

That's why you don't want to wear seatbelts.  Starskey or Hutch or whoever jumps out of that car just as it goes off the cliff and bursts into flames.  Safety first.  

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/29/20 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Stealthtercel :

It was the 70's.  EVERYTHING bigger than a Granada had frameless windows IIRC.

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
7/29/20 9:08 p.m.

In reply to R56fanatic (Forum Supporter) :

Yep.  It was called "Dog and Cat".  It didn't last long.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/30/20 8:22 a.m.

The guy I took the Zoomboni to the other day has a heckuva collection of cars.  Tucked in the back of the barn under a cover he has a genuine "original paint" Starsky and Hutch Grand Torino.  The exterior is totally original and unrestored.  The interior is mint and under the hood he stuffed a 550 hp big block.

Why?  Because his wife wanted a cool old car that would do big smokey burnouts.

David S. Wallens
7/30/20 9:51 a.m.

So, the bigger question: If they were undercover cops, why the flashy paint job? 

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/30/20 10:07 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

This is kind of the gold standard, but I'll also throw in an honorable mention for Hardcastle & McCormick. High marks for car-based crime fighting action, two-fisted Kirkpunch to the back and judicious narrative use of sleeveless shirt. Points of for way too many two-shots of people talking, then pausing, then smiling at each other like they finally got the joke at the same time after about 20 minutes.

The pilot episode was about a guy stealing a car from a guy who stole it from a friend. Extra points for the bad guy being played by John Saxon who just recently died. The car was a Manta Montage kit with a Porsche 914 engine in place of the traditional bug motor. I would like to find a place to stream or buy the DVD but it looks like this series is unobtainium now. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pk0wUV5ut1dEQ2vT9UtHJ85PNbB92PLAc0dXEc7rihwwjU5CuKjsgSkkSGcYQJzp