Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/12/20 8:26 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OSMCfPASImQ

To say that the RUF CTR Yellowbird was a handful may be an understatement, as its 911 engine was enlarged to 3.4 liters while receiving a pair of turbochargers. Yellowbird was good for more than 460 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque—in a car that weighed a little over 2500 pounds. At the time, it was simply nuts. 

This is what it’s …

Watch more videos

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/12/20 1:31 p.m.

When super cars where truly super cars...

...they tried to kill you every time you drive them.

This is the video I watched after trying to drive a Yellowbird in a game and thinking "it can't be that twitchy"... oh no, it's far worse.

I still say: build a bunch of copies of these and start a modern race series with them.  It would make the races WAY more interesting to watch.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
10/12/20 7:39 p.m.

Greatest.

Video.

EVAR!!!

spandak
spandak HalfDork
10/12/20 7:51 p.m.

It was after watching this video I realized I needed flat six noises in my life. I sold my Mazdaspeed3 and bought a Boxster

Best decision ever

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/20 8:01 p.m.

I used to have this video (Lap1 and Lap2, from some ancient website in '02ish) on constant loop while I was doing other things.

This video appears to be an upload of that old digitized worn-out VHS copy.

If you look for it, you can find a much cleaner DVD version of Faszination (the video this is from) on YouTube.

(Not complaining, just pointing out that there are better versions out there.  And I wonder how Option Auto got the rights to use an illicit copy?)

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
10/13/20 2:07 a.m.

That is a Great Deal of Steering Correction happening at Very Unreasonable Speed.

skippyman
skippyman New Reader
10/13/20 10:36 a.m.

Anybody else think it’s insane to have both cars and bikes on the track at the same time???

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/20 11:08 a.m.

The art of driving slidways.  I saw one over the weekend at the local Dunkin Donuts while I was getting a coffee.  An absolutely stunning car.  It is also really amazing how small they are compared to modern cars.  Compaired to a modern 911 it is tiny.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/13/20 11:10 a.m.
skippyman said:

Anybody else think it’s insane to have both cars and bikes on the track at the same time???

It's a public road, not a track.

Notice that he always passes on the left, per West German law.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/13/20 11:17 a.m.

Pretty sure the Nürburgring Nordschleife is considered a track (even during there public access events), not a public road.

They do allow a very wide variety of vehicles on there though.  Most seem to be well aware of what to do when faster cars approach.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/13/20 11:24 a.m.

I always loved those growing up.

But maybe this is turning in my man card, that thing doesn't look fun to drive at all.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/13/20 12:01 p.m.

Yeah, even I would say, at low speeds it looks like balls of fun, but seems semi-terrifying at high speeds.  Either way, super challenging.  Kind of the driving version of big slalom ski racing.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/13/20 12:14 p.m.
z31maniac said:

I always loved those growing up.

But maybe this is turning in my man card, that thing doesn't look fun to drive at all.

It certainly looks "interesting".  Stefan Rosen (if I recall right) seems to have done an end run around the 930 snap oversteer characteristics by making it oversteer BEFORE applying power in an exaggerated case of slow in/fast out.  If it's going to slide, best to have it happen on your terms I suppose.  The kink at the end of the long, long straight is scary, it doesn't look like he turns in, just countersteers!  

Didn't these have something silly narrow like 225 or 245 width tires on the back?

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP Reader
10/13/20 3:10 p.m.

Was it common for older vehicle steering wheel to be attached off center? I'm sure it may have some kind of a valid reasoning, or I'm strange and notice things like that.

Pete. (l33t FS)
10/13/20 6:07 p.m.

Oh yeah.  My '86 VW (B2 chassis, shared with Audi Coupe/quattro/4000/80) has the steering wheel heavily offset to the right.  I haven't driven one since 2014 so I am only 90% sure that it's offset to the right.

Apparently it was left-justified in RHD models.

Even post-airbag cars weren't always centered. Or straight in the car.  GM B-bodies from the 90s had the steering column angled, pointed at your left shoulder even though the wheel was more or less centered.

edit:  And now I am aware that the steering wheel in my P2 chassis Volvo is off center to the left.  Dangit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xkXw7Hym0Q9Ci3aRMCo5daYWyHC5ndTdSXVxuQth3mqeC3cHE5v6p9o4OyN57Sgr