1 2 3
trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/28/21 10:09 a.m.

I have only been to Pitt Race and VGP in schenley park. Does this change the atmosphere and style of driving? I remember watching one of the races in schenley park and the guy was waiving to the fans each lap lolz.

sergio
sergio HalfDork
1/28/21 10:44 a.m.

Grandma's racing sedan

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/21 11:05 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

I have only been to Pitt Race and VGP in schenley park. Does this change the atmosphere and style of driving? I remember watching one of the races in schenley park and the guy was waiving to the fans each lap lolz.

The PVGP covers two race weekends. My experience has been that the Schenley Park weekend is closer to a "brisk driving tour for the wire wheel crowd." The Pitt Race weekend is closer to a typical club racing event.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/28/21 11:15 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

Mar-say-Deez!!!!! ist goot.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/21 11:32 a.m.

In reply to sergio :

Yup, the TMNT SHOs for the win. 

Jalopy_Joe
Jalopy_Joe
3/13/21 6:46 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens : Read the aricle this week, Think it awesome what VRG is doing. Was looking for a group to race with besides the Autocross folks.
If I pass my medical exam next week then Summit Point here we come. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/13/21 1:21 p.m.
Jalopy_Joe said:

In reply to David S. Wallens : Read the aricle this week, Think it awesome what VRG is doing. Was looking for a group to race with besides the Autocross folks.

Okay, you have to tell us more about that car. And thanks for running the sticker. 

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
3/13/21 1:48 p.m.

The retro Motorcraft livery is badass!

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
3/13/21 5:34 p.m.

I've been racing my 85.5 Mustang SVO with vintage organizations for a couple of years.  MP2/Group 12b in SVRA and SSB/Group 3 in HSR.  I chose the Mac Tools livery since my car was originally white and still has the original paint, so the color scheme was easy.  Here is a pix of my car on the grid at the SVRA Hutchinson Island race in October 2019, along with a picture of the "real" SCCA Showroom Stock car in action.

I like that I am almost always the only American car in my group.

Jalopy_Joe
Jalopy_Joe New Reader
4/10/21 6:44 p.m.
Jalopy_Joe said:

Its an old SCCA EP class car. 1.9 5 Speed. Has Koni Inserts and Ground Control springs. Just missed the budget for the 2021 Challenge but not by much. 

Got accepted into the Drivers School and will keep you posted of my progress.

One note while the Group has allowed the car owners to be members and enter in sole VRG events the co hosted events have stricter rules and so far would not be allowed to race. So Pitt, Thompson and Lime Rock would not. 

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
4/10/21 11:25 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

We called welded diffs Lincoln Lockers, as in you used a Lincoln stick welder.

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
4/11/21 7:31 a.m.

There are several guys I know building Triumph TR8s into race cars right now.  A big part of this is because they are now eligible for vintage racing.  Cool thing is both ITS spec and CP/GT1 cars are being built.  I can think of 3 new build group 44 type bodied GT1 spec cars nearing completion.  Three more old builds from the early 80s have been dragged out of the moth balls, and are actively being rebuilt to see track duty once again.  Another unfinished tube frame TR8 build from the 80s with group 44 body panels popped up last week.  The owner also has an old ITS spec TR8.  Still waiting to see what comes of those cars.  Huffaker spend a bunch of money rebuilding their iconic TR7 and TR8 race cars in the last few years.  John Buffum's rally car just sold a couple of weeks ago and its back in the United States.  Things are looking up for TR8 race cars again.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
4/11/21 11:47 a.m.

Really wishing I had the money and the space to put together a Saab 900 Turbo for something like this series.

Or a turbo 2.3 fox body.

LanEvo
4/30/21 1:25 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd :

There were a couple of TR7/8s in my class at Mosport a couple of years ago. VARAC Group 70+. They're pretty quick.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
4/30/21 1:54 p.m.

Having been around vintage racing for 31 years (note I only switched from SCCA to vintage 11 years ago) it seems like every 10-15 years there is a shift in car demographics.

When I first went to vintage races it seemed to be dominated by 60s British sports cars and there were no Japanese cars. Then in around 2005 it seems like the sedan classes really took off.

Now the 80s cars are coming on; I'm looking forward to seeing what people bring.  I'm running an 80s Formula car so I guess technically I've jumped on the band wagon.  

LanEvo
5/1/21 9:52 p.m.

At the last two vintage race weekends I participated in, my class had several examples of the following '80s cars:

• E30 - both M3 and regular
  • Fox-body Mustang
  • VW Golf/Rabbit
  • Ford Sapphire/Sierra
  • Various Honda/Acura models

There was even a guy with an Omni GLH, but he didn't run. Expecting to see a ton of Miatas this season. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/1/21 11:14 p.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

Sounds like a cool mix of cars.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A1I1BaZLEWgcT6pDigQVuojHXbOfHo81TWvparaoO9UZiMeLJ6a21c4KCZIsNCFy