David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/25/17 9:03 a.m.

The hottest new vehicle sold in 1991 didn’t come from any of the usual suspects. It wasn’t a turbo Porsche, 12-cylinder Ferrari or some limited-edition Mustang.

It was a GMC pickup.

Yes, we’re talking about a factory-built pickup. It wasn’t even some supersized, go-anywhere pickup sporting monster truck tires, a giant smokestack and a sound system that blasted only Lynyrd …

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/17 9:49 a.m.

I remember magazines complaining about the lack of capacity for the bed and limited towing ability, they really didn't get the "sport" part of the Sport Utility Vehicle yet.

David S. Wallens
4/25/17 1:07 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I remember magazines complaining about the lack of capacity for the bed and limited towing ability, they really didn't get the "sport" part of the Sport Utility Vehicle yet.

True, some people are no fun.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/25/17 1:17 p.m.

I drove my roommate in college to go buy a white Typhoon in 2004(?).

I remember it being one the wackiest things I'd been in at that time and was really my introduction to what a turbo and all wheel drive can do.

I do remember us having a conversation about what happens if the cladding gets damaged. Apparently, it's still mostly unobtanium although I did see GRM had a line about that in the most recent issue. Hopefully, that's improved with time.

Maybe one day I'll own one too.

dkm455
dkm455 New Reader
4/25/17 4:50 p.m.

I remember how expensive they were when new. Looked at a new Syclone at the local Buick/GMC dealer and it was $2-3k more than the loaded Roadmaster sitting next to it on the showroom. I remember being amazed that a hot-rodded S10 was that much more than Buick's top-line sedan.

Neat vehicles though! If I remember correctly GMC took one to Bonneville and set some speed records.

SPG123
SPG123 Reader
4/25/17 8:47 p.m.

I owned Syclone #327. It was a riot. Genuinely quick up to 80 or so. But the best fun was to nail the throttle mid corner. I would do it over again for sure. But the 3.6 would be out and an LS in. Still turbo and still AWD.

SPG123
SPG123 Reader
4/25/17 8:48 p.m.

Brain fart. 4.3

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/25/17 8:51 p.m.

I lust after these, but you guys already know of my penchant for turbo chrysler minivans, so that shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
4/26/17 4:58 a.m.

I wanted to buy one in the worst way (The Syclone) when they came out. 1992 model was sitting on sale at a lot in my hometown because no one was buying it. Being very young at the time with speeding tickets on my record, I could not afford the insurance. Also, the 2 seat arrangement would not have worked with a young son at the time. It was black, awd, turbo, and mean looking with nice options. Ran high 13's stock. One of the nicest performance pickups built in my opinion. I'm also partial to the S10/S15/Sonoma pickups

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 10:29 a.m.

Glad you guys dig them. When we relaunched our Vintage Views series, I decided to concentrate on cool cars from the '80s and '90s--stuff that not everyone here might remember.

Next issue: Starion and Conquest. Yes, box flares.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
4/26/17 11:56 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I've been seeing a bunch of Starions on the social media tubes restored for shows lately. I wonder if they've hit that price/unique status that they're going to become the new hot item.

David S. Wallens
4/26/17 12:01 p.m.
The0retical wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: I've been seeing a bunch of Starions on the social media tubes restored for shows lately. I wonder if they've hit that price/unique status that they're going to become the new hot item.

I wonder. Prices still seem fairly low, and there isn't a ton of aftermarket support. However, they definitely have a cool vibe about them.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/17 12:12 p.m.

Back around 1992 or so my dad and I got invited to a "GMC Experience" thing at the Pontiac Silverdome. They had an autocross course set up, and some Bondurant instructors. The instructors would ride with you in a Syclone to do a few laps, then they'd load 3 of you up in a Typhoon, and they'd take you around to show you how it was really done. They also had a longer course set up where you could do multiple laps in Sonoma GTs (essentially a regular Sonoma/S15 with a body kit and lower suspension). It was a lot of fun, one of my first experiences with performance driving.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/26/17 1:18 p.m.

Yes, it was cutting edge for '92. But wouldn't a comparison to similar era cars be more appropriate? Snap chat? Really?

It's funny how fast these were back in the day. Put one next to a V6 camry now and I'm not sure who would win...

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/17 1:54 p.m.

Well-written article about a couple of special vehicles that were incredibly quick for their day.

vwfreek
vwfreek New Reader
4/26/17 1:55 p.m.

I had a Typhoon, sold it a couple years ago. It was fun to drive, but it had some rust issues so I got rid of it while it still had some value. I always got a kick out of the dashboard with the tacked on switches and plastic bezel disguising the Sunbird instrument cluster.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/17 2:42 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Glad you guys dig them. When we relaunched our Vintage Views series, I decided to concentrate on cool cars from the '80s and '90s--stuff that not everyone here might remember. Next issue: Starion and Conquest. Yes, box flares.

Interesting subject, engaging writing…much appreciated GRM!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/17 2:47 p.m.
vwfreek wrote: I had a Typhoon, sold it a couple years ago. It was fun to drive, but it had some rust issues so I got rid of it while it still had some value. I always got a kick out of the dashboard with the tacked on switches and plastic bezel disguising the Sunbird instrument cluster.

Back in the day, I recall reading that they used the Sunbird cluster because it was the only one that fit and had a boost gauge. Not sure how legit that is.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
4/27/17 4:54 a.m.

Since the AWD was a majority rear split, modified heavy Syclones could pull the front wheels with the wheels spinning

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RPCMxwRtiUQFnX7nl4C2TdzsEwQigL8OPTr8mhA0BPSe7rtWdApkEetz1pvyRIS1