learn me scan tools for use on obd2 volks what you use and why, please

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/9/13 7:14 p.m.

VAG-COM is the bee's knees.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/9/13 10:23 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: VAG-COM is the bee's knees.

to elaborate: it does EVERYTHING the oem tool does. it's great.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Reader
1/10/13 11:08 a.m.

I agree, VAG-COM is where it's at for VW/Audi diagnostics. It is a USB based scan tool that works with a laptop. It has the ability to datalog. For example, recently I was troubleshooting a lack of power out of my TDI (yea, I know, a slow TDI...), so I datalogged: RPM, throttle position, MAF desired, MAF actual, boost desired, boost actual, coolant temp, and boost actuator duty cycle. The car wasn't throwing a code, so without the datalogging ability, I'd be guessing or throwing parts at it. Plotted up the data in excel, some simple analysis showed that it was a fauly MAF, all is well now.

Simply put, get it.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
1/10/13 12:20 p.m.

VAG-COM should be your only option. Nothing else can compare in the aftermarket and it is seriously affordable.

You can get the dongles used and get complete support and updates online. DO NOT BUY the knock-offs. They are very limited on capability, you will not receive any tech support from Ross-Tech, and does not work with their updates.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/11/13 4:39 p.m.

thanks guys, i knew i'd get a solid answer here

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
1/11/13 8:28 p.m.

Does anyone have any good links for using the VAG-COM... I have been using for a couple years but it can be a really hard tool to navigate and learn...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/12/13 7:51 a.m.

wow, that sounds like a powerful tool. is it good enough to offset the pain of owning a VW?

[klaus]
You vill poosh de red button. Ve vill not tell you vhat it does, but you vill poosh it anyvay. Poosh it! Poosh it!
[/klaus]

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
1/12/13 9:27 a.m.

^ Yes. At least I think so - note that I have a TDI, so it's one of the less troublesome drivetrains. As time goes on, I'm finding that one of my criteria for buying a used car is "fantastic/dealer level diagnostic software must be easily available and relatively available". This is true with VW, BMW, and Porsche - I'm sure there are others.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
1/12/13 11:59 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: wow, that sounds like a powerful tool. is it good enough to offset the pain of owning a VW? [klaus] You vill poosh de red button. Ve vill not tell you vhat it does, but you vill poosh it anyvay. Poosh it! Poosh it! [/klaus]

Not really.. working on them can be just as much of a pain in the ass...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
1/12/13 7:36 p.m.
crazycanadian wrote: Does anyone have any good links for using the VAG-COM... I have been using for a couple years but it can be a really hard tool to navigate and learn...

Tdiclub.com

Yes, mainly focused on the TDi, but many of those guys work on other VWs and the signal to noise ratio is much better there than on the Vortex.

I feel your pain. I've had VAG COM (now called VCDS or something - VW had issue with Ross-Tech having "VAG" in the name) since 2006 and still use it for little more than reading codes and checking the injection timing on my TDi when I do a timing belt change.

+1 on avoiding the knock-offs. While the $300~ for VCDS is more, it is still a bargain compared to other shop-level systems. FWIW, it'll read OBD II codes on other Euro cars if you don't have a code reader already.

warpedredneck
warpedredneck Reader
1/16/13 4:53 a.m.

so while waiting for my order from ross-tech. Ive started to diag why this wont run. 2001 vw beetle. have spark. have compression. dont have power at the injectors, found 3 fuses with no power (not blown, no supply voltage) 32 engine control inj, 34 engine control, & fuse 43engine control, im having a hard time following the tracking style wiring diagram that vw uses, i purchased a subscription from alldata, (very useful btw). so any thoughts? ideas? help?! lol thanks in advance

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
1/16/13 6:19 p.m.

What current track across the top do the fuses land on (30, 15, etc)

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/16/13 8:09 p.m.

Sooo... What does the immobilizer disable if it cannot read the transponder in the key? (I really don't know. Just a wild guess question I pulled out of the air...)

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
1/16/13 9:28 p.m.

You need VAG-COM to set the timing on a tdi when you change the timing belt too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Flh97uYJS5nQTnNx5ak1OJNFSRV5FZHIeb27hDn1hAIsRkXDtV0u4tjCprmqJHN3