JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/23/23 8:15 a.m.

We owe a lot to the Volkswagen GTI. It’s arguably the common ancestor from which all modern hot hatchbacks and sporty compacts arose, and nearly every generation of the model–since 1983 stateside and 1976 elsewhere–has been more potent and more competent than the last.

The 2023 Golf R–the most radical GTI offered by the factory–represents the ultimate form of the …

Read the rest of the story

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
3/23/23 9:02 a.m.

"...getting the best possible lap time in this car requires a bit of skill to work around electronic intervention that never quite disappears, no matter how you set the various modes."

Am I the only one that thinks all sporty cars (especially those that cost almost $50K) need to have an option that just turns everything off? One of the (many) reasons the early Miatas are so fun is that they just do exactly what your hands and feet tell them to do; the car isn't thinking about it. If I'm at an autocross or track I want to drive the car, I don't want the computer to drive it for me. Leaning heavily of the TC or ABS might lead to a faster lap (you see this with GT3 racecars I think) but it's certainly a less fun lap. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/23/23 9:10 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

Fortunately it's an easy fix with a Bluetooth dongle, but we're not really supposed to tweak the software on press cars:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2017-golf-gti/how-to-go-faster-by-just-tweaking-the-software/

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/23/23 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

It's cool and also really silly that can pretty much make a car faster these days with a fancy app.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 1:11 p.m.

Compared to the GTI, there is no doubt that the Golf R is a nicer car overall. It's really a hatchback Audi S3 for less money. 

What is striking is how little difference there is in the time between the GTI and the Golf R. It really highlights how capable the GTI is out of the box. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
3/24/23 9:45 a.m.

Corolla GR

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
1/31/24 10:30 a.m.

This article reminds me of how good the Veloster N really was on track, since its time at the FIRM finally got eclipsed by a segment competitor ... with AWD, more hp, torque, and a DCT.

Well done, Hyundai.

p.s.:  thanks for keepin' it real by acknowledging that $45K is expensive.  So many other outlets act like vehicles that cost $40-$70K (or more!) are "affordable."  I have a good career, but that oft-flippant attitude towards price makes me wonder if I should have started my Only Fans channel a little sooner. wink

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/31/24 11:10 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) said:

Compared to the GTI, there is no doubt that the Golf R is a nicer car overall. It's really a hatchback Audi S3 for less money. 

What is striking is how little difference there is in the time between the GTI and the Golf R. It really highlights how capable the GTI is out of the box. 

That'd probably be an interesting comparison.  How can you/how much does it take to get one of the hot hatches lesser siblings to match track times with the stock hot version?  Can a Civic Si with stick tires run with a stock Type R?  Can a GTI with suspension and a tune match a stock Golf R? etc.  

thashane
thashane GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/24 1:45 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

"...getting the best possible lap time in this car requires a bit of skill to work around electronic intervention that never quite disappears, no matter how you set the various modes."

Am I the only one that thinks all sporty cars (especially those that cost almost $50K) need to have an option that just turns everything off?

One of my praises for the Elantra N is that you can turn off everything, in *ANY* mode (eco included) just by pressing and holding the button for couple seconds. Can even be moving, in gear, ect. Great job Hyundai!

I believe we are increasingly developing less capable drivers, as even those in amatuer motorsports rely on electronic intervention. If an hpde or autocross isn't an appropriate time to turn off stability control, when is?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/24 2:03 p.m.

Why oh why did this need to be posted right now when I started actively shopping for Golfs the first time in my life?

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/1/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

The hive knows. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
2/1/24 2:35 p.m.

For a full fire breathering hot hatch I still like the Ford RS better. Not a bettre car, but a better hot hatch. 

BoxheadTim
2/1/24 2:43 p.m.
grover said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

The hive knows. 

Worse, the hive enables.

BoxheadTim
2/1/24 2:44 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

For a full fire breathering hot hatch I still like the Ford RS better. Not a bettre car, but a better hot hatch. 

In this case I'm more looking for a better, slightly more civilized car rather than another ragged edge mobile.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
38XIQ62M2jffXC47Ag4ctUu7mZx58Jt9CwQo1Z2OQsm6eVQsqgacKnGjyXuUJbEA