mrwillie
mrwillie New Reader
5/23/08 10:18 p.m.

I've found a '84 volvo 244 ( 240 w/ 4 doors ) w/ the 4sp manual tranny and turbo. Having only driven a newer model volvo, I am wondering how this would serve as a daily driver / beginner autocross car w/ the occasional track day sprinkled in. So w/ all that being said, I have a few questions.

1) This one isn't in a running condition( needs the fuel tank cleaned and re-installed ), so I'm not sure how it drives but the seller says that it has a rel. small turning radius( 5m ), but does that translate into a fun car?

2) Are they comparable in handling to e30's and mk2 vw's?

3) Do these make decent beginner project cars?

Don't know much about volvos at all, so any help, experiences, sugg. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

car39
car39 Reader
5/24/08 8:22 a.m.

They have a great turning radius. Wiring problems are common as the harnesses deteriorate. Heater / A/C blower motors fail on a regular basis, and are buried deep inside the center console. Floors rust out or crack behind the driver's seat due to the a/c system leaking water into the car, and the wax coated rugs keep the water sealed in. Strong as a tank, not overly fast. It should have overdrive,not just the 4 speed. When you watch them in a corner, you swear the door handles are going to get rubbed off from the body roll, but IPD has a bunch of parts to fix that. Good daily driver once you get it running.

jamesp
jamesp
5/24/08 8:30 a.m.
car39 wrote: Strong as a tank, not overly fast..

There's an understatement. 100hp and 3000lbs. Lots of torque down low, I think the B230 makes peak torque around 3500 rpm. It's a heavy car.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/24/08 9:24 a.m.

It's a great everyday driving car. Tows 3000 lbs, gets 25 mpg, rock-solid except for the wiring issues.

Is it a sporting car? It could be made to be, but in stock form it's the anti-fun car.

mrwillie
mrwillie New Reader
5/24/08 10:26 a.m.

It has had the wiring harness replaced, and its the intercooled turbo model as well. Supposedly it has 165hp(?). And you're right, its the 4sp w/ overdrive. How well does 165hp in a 3000lb car w/ a good steering system translate to fun?

jamesp
jamesp New Reader
5/24/08 5:15 p.m.
mrwillie wrote: It has had the wiring harness replaced, and its the intercooled turbo model as well. Supposedly it has 165hp(?). And you're right, its the 4sp w/ overdrive. How well does 165hp in a 3000lb car w/ a good steering system translate to fun?

Well, 165 horses are better than 100. The turbo is much more fun than the NA version. If it's any indication, there's a hardcore group of ralliests on the left coast who love them. Check out rallyanarchy.com. One of them took 1st OA at Doo Wop rally in WA, against the 300hp turbo AWD subarishi hordes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W1CgcCPXJjRpNvgpzRqPfyQ3oFRVgtUXmXTHatqx6XdWi8DBDxzqatiSlzplOSLS