dabird
dabird New Reader
2/28/12 9:52 p.m.

Just picked a a 1990 740 turbo wagon with a blown headgasket. It's a really clean car with 185k and a pile of service records. I've never done a headgasket before so if anyone has any tips i will be thankful. I've found turbobricks.com and swedishbricks.net and there is a ton of great info there so i'm pretty confident i can do this. The timing belt was replaced 5k ago and the water pump was done a few weeks before the headgasket blew. i know people say it's a good idea to replace these at the same time as the headgasket but i was planning on leaving them since they are so new. is there anything specific that will be different in the headgasket job because this is a turbo?

I know a bentley manual for the 740 doesn't exsist but the engine is pretty much identical in a 240 correct? assuming that the engines are pretty much the same i should be able to use this video as a good reference right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRUPgYbk_gE

here is a pic of the car

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/28/12 11:13 p.m.

Spend the dough to have the head flatness and crack checked. I've been working on Volvos professionally since 1980, and I've only seen maybe 6 actual head gasket failures. The rest of them were either warped over.020" or cracked from extreme overheating.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
2/29/12 6:32 a.m.

Headgaskets easy!

Step one- Pull turbo, and plumbing

Step two- Sell to me for $50

Done!

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture HalfDork
2/29/12 6:38 a.m.

Joking aside, Yeah that should be the "Redblock" B230FT... I think. One cam right?

If dual cam, look for info on the "16V" this seems to be how TB people classify this stuff. Good luck!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FoofxYk8K9C58Mfdmxkf6i8KmmMV0IlyMlfXWi2KC89QlgxAbt0wlbVMUTCBhWjp