1 2
irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/10/13 6:58 p.m.

Some shots from today, including my personal favorite rallycross car of the season, of some GRM crew...See if you know em ;)

I forget his SN on here, but the Amazon was awesome...and put up respectable times as well and won his class

photo ADSCF7978.jpg

photo ADSCF7966.jpg Some moxnix action

photo ADSCF8027.jpg

The subies watching the yuppiemobile.

photo ADSCF7970.jpg

the NONACK celica

myself

photo ADSCF8131.jpg

Dirty e-Thirites Rallycross. Yup, we're hardcore for sure

photo DSCF8117.jpg

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/10/13 7:04 p.m.

Dammit I want to Rallycross so bad.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps HalfDork
11/10/13 7:35 p.m.

Diggin' the Amazon

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
11/10/13 7:36 p.m.

Proof that my volvo 145 needs to be a rally cross project.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
11/10/13 7:48 p.m.

Dammit, I didn't think of such a possibility. I let a $500 2 door amazon get away a few weeks ago.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/10/13 8:10 p.m.

I think it did pretty well in stock condition with what looked to be awful tires. He ran in stock RWD, but in the same group with the large 13-car MR class. His overall time would have been last in MR, but only be a few seconds. And all of the MR cars are experienced rallycrossers who have run a full season, most of them on rally tires.

The Amazon had a total comp time of 792 seconds (8 runs). For comparison's sake, I won MR today with a 701 seconds comp time, and the last place MR car was a LeMons Miata, which had a comp time of 786, using some dirt stock tires. The last-place "regular" in this class (an e30 325i) had a comp time of 768.

I'd love to see what that Amazon could do with an engine swap and some good tires

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
11/10/13 11:43 p.m.

Mr is growing it seems. Even in our region! Kudos

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
11/11/13 6:26 a.m.

As I am pulling apart the P1800 I have to continually question my sanity. The suspension on these cars is pretty bombproof. The rear is a 4 link with panhard and disc brakes. The spindles and brakes are pretty substantial with 4 pot front brakes and posi rear.

I need to find an Amazon owner who want to swap in the front and rear suspension parts seems they will bolt right in.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/11/13 3:22 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: Mr is growing it seems. Even in our region! Kudos

We had one event this year with 16 cars in MR (largest class there) as well as 6 or 7 in PR at the same event, IIRC. We even had our first Miata at the last event :)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/11/13 3:28 p.m.

not the first miata WDCR has seen, about 5-6 years ago one came out fairly frequently before Brent started bringing his CRX.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
11/11/13 3:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Does the rear suspension bind with that arrangement?

With an arrangement as you've described, I think I agree, the stock stuff doesn't sound so bad.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/11/13 3:41 p.m.
pres589 wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Does the rear suspension bind with that arrangement? With an arrangement as you've described, I think I agree, the stock stuff doesn't sound so bad.

No. The panhard bar is pretty close to horizontal and the bushings in the 4 link arms have enough give in them to allow for the panhard bar arc. That said, there are so places to consider reinforcing of he plans to do this for awhile: mainly the shock mounts on the front cross-member, which can be known to crack.

Believe me, right now (since it seems to change weekly) my plan is to rebuild my 1800ES but to do a sloppy enough job that it can be used for rallycross. Since I'll be teaching myself bodywork and how to weld on this car, I'm sure the 'sloppy' part won't be a problem...

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/13 3:51 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Me, me, me. Is your 1800 an ES? Those are the only ones that are a direct (bolt in) crossover to a later 122S.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/11/13 3:54 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Yes. It's an ES (look for his thread in the Build forum). The downside: he's in Canadia...

Oh yeah... a posi was never a factory (or dealer) option in an 1800. They're actually pretty uncommon, although being a Dana 30, not hard to get - the splines are different than typical US-spec 30's tho.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/11/13 3:56 p.m.

Damn, that's what I thought. Maybe he can give the entire driveline to a snowbird that is heading South for the winter.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
11/11/13 5:21 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Damn, that's what I thought. Maybe he can give the entire driveline to a snowbird that is heading South for the winter.

I was holding out hope that you WERE a snowbird! I have the front and rear axles ready to load into someones truck along with 4 wheels and tires.

I will have another set once I strip the parts car or someone comes by with money in the spring and convinces me to strip the bits sooner.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
11/12/13 2:58 p.m.

That's me in the Amazon. Bought that car about a year ago for $650, and have basically just been doing maintenance to it:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/volvoclearinghouse-continues-to-live-up-to-his-screen-nameamazon-122-content/49782/page1/

The tires are 10+ years old, mismatched, 600 TW all-seasons. I was on tirerack.com today thinking of buying some $60 snow tires for next season.

The car was a blast to run, even stock. The suspension bottomed out constantly and the open rear diff meant most of the 85 ponies were spinning off into the dust, but it didn't matter. My technique was simple: 1rst gear, drop the clutch, plenty of wheelspin, bang second, hold on, drive with the throttle. I tapped brakes once or twice to make sure they worked, and induce some turn-in. The long-ish (100") wheelbase makes controlling oversteer pretty easy.

Aside from actual tires, A bit of roll and bounce control and an LSD would make this a pretty competitive car.

volvoclearinghouse
11/12/13 3:00 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Me, me, me. Is your 1800 an ES? Those are the only ones that are a direct (bolt in) crossover to a later 122S.

An E (coupe) or ES (wagon) rear will bolt into a '67-1/2 or later Amazon. I've done it.

I looked into a Dana 30 posi...I know the Jeep gears and stuff will bolt in, but I didn't check the axle spline counts. Adapting a Jeep Dana 30 LSD may be a bit of work, then. Any thoughts?

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/15/13 4:16 p.m.

So uh....on random coincidence.....

Is that your car on the far right at the very end of this video? Or is there another person using rubbermaid bins to block off part of the radiator of an Amazon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBKy1EM__I

Didn't know you were a Speedycop guy

volvoclearinghouse
11/18/13 8:22 a.m.

Same car. ;-) Got some track time on Jeff's dirt track with that car, too.

I'm not a member of Speedycop- I have my own LeMons team, the Tunachuckers. But I've been over to Jeff's a couple of times for fun. He's good people.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
11/18/13 9:08 a.m.

AJ from squared away posted his pics this morning.

http://squaredawayphotography.smugmug.com/Category/WDCR-Rally-X/WDCR-SCCA-Rally-X-111013

volvoclearinghouse
11/18/13 11:03 a.m.

Cool! Great pics!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/13 1:10 p.m.

So random for this thread, but since you're all here, Volvo, Irish and Moxnix, who's up for some rally-x car and project wrenching/maintence etc over the offseason.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
11/18/13 4:12 p.m.

What did you have in mind? I have almost no plans for my car over the winter....I have an entire e21 to rebuild

I did just take the powerwasher and removed 20lbs of red clay from the underside of the car yesterday though.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/18/13 4:39 p.m.

I have too much of a list on mine (I.E. I should just send it out to get caged since i'll have so much pulled/removed) so since mine isn't going to be around I was going to pay it forward so to speak and willing to lend a hand (mainly grunt work if need be) to some other people.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZHj3AQBqFMcSmAzKvutQorxc0OxpoX3aXs1uJBrzdhQ3uCBHyWXWDeeCq7Ntoln