1 2
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/17/20 10:27 p.m.

Looking at using a Volvo electric ps pump for the Molvo and maybe the F2 1950 truck. Anyone here used them before on a project? 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/17/20 10:30 p.m.

No, but I do have two Subaru XT6 electric power steering pumps on the shelf, just in case.

Which Volvos used them?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/17/20 10:35 p.m.

C30, S40, S60.  Bunch of stuff from mid-2000's.  Probably used on some Fords as well. 

Catatafish
Catatafish HalfDork
11/18/20 12:16 a.m.

The how-to's I've read makes it out to be very easy. I have one I'm wanting to put into my supra, and a buddy is putting one into his rx7.

Basically I just need to mount it and make a pressure line, the return and wiring is very easy. It only needs a power, negative, and switched power.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 5:23 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

C30, S40, S60.  Bunch of stuff from mid-2000's.  Probably used on some Fords as well. 

Not the S60s IIRC.  But anything built on the Focus chassis, since Volvo had a serious lack of room for accessories.  The hood wanted to be where the whiteblock power steering pump normally goes, and they had to put the intake manifold there anyway on some applications.

Mazda 3s also used one on that chassis.  Ford never sold that chassis Focus here.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
11/18/20 6:10 a.m.

I used a volvo pump on a Porsche 996 -maybe bad luck but worked great for 6 months and had to replace it due to  noise .Replaced it with another pump again  loud noise after 6 months . Both pumps were used and no idea how old or hours in service  .Internet research found this is a common problem .Replaced volvo pump with a rebuilt mini cooper and has been flawless for two years .

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 6:36 a.m.

Definitely looks interesting.  I see someone is selling a new wiring harness kit

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
11/18/20 6:44 a.m.

Link I've had up on my phone since this came up a few weeks ago (by surfshibby?) says 2004-13 C70/C30/S40/V50

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/18/20 6:53 a.m.

Is the Molvo still using a Miata steering column? Because KMiata, or whatever they are going by these days, makes an electric power steering conversion for Miatas. You send them a column and they chop and weld an electric assist motor into it. Even has a rheostat that you mount to the dash to vary the amount of assist.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 7:08 a.m.
dave215 said:

I used a volvo pump on a Porsche 996 -maybe bad luck but worked great for 6 months and had to replace it due to  noise .Replaced it with another pump again  loud noise after 6 months . Both pumps were used and no idea how old or hours in service  .Internet research found this is a common problem .Replaced volvo pump with a rebuilt mini cooper and has been flawless for two years .

Dave

Speak to me of the Mini conversion. The reason I ask is because I have one mocked up on a 1950 Ford truck,but do not like how it fires up as soon as you hit it with power to the two main wires. The thing requires a 100 amp fuse and if the inrush current is that large the battery will be trying to supply the starter and PS pump a lot of current on start-up.  I can fix that with two relays in series, but there goes like $150 in relays alone,

The Volvo requires a keyed power and I will disable the pump with a second relay in series during cranking, With the keyed power being only low current I can use cheap relays.

I am aware of the $1000 USD solution using the Miata column. Not sure if it will work with the rare Canadian non airbag column and I hesitate to cut up the one I have for future proofing reasons.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
11/18/20 7:29 a.m.
NOHOME said:

I am aware of the $1000 USD solution using the Miata column. Not sure if it will work with the rare Canadian non airbag column and I hesitate to cut up the one I have for future proofing reasons.

Fair enough. I've been eyeballing it for my own Miata since checking the power steering fluid requires removing charge piping.

I know that people have also adapted Toyota MR-S electric power steering to quite a few cars as well.

dave215
dave215 New Reader
11/18/20 7:32 a.m.

There is a delay built into the mini pump - I think about 7 seconds - I have had zero issues with start up or excessive  current draw . My pump does not activate unless ignition wire is activated .There are two connectors on my pump B+ and ground .Second connector ignition wire .

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
11/18/20 7:36 a.m.

Anyone know if you can adjusted the "boost" level of the Volvo  pump?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 7:40 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

Boost level is generally in the rack/box, not the pump.

I remember Speedway used to sell different quills for Saginaw boxes.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/18/20 7:47 a.m.

Inre: S60 and other models that came with electric steering pumps, I keep finding results like this;

https://www.atg-components.com/catalog/product/electric-power-steering-pump--volvo-s60-ii-2010--trw-volvo-v60-2010--trw-volvo-xc60-2008--trw-s80-ii-2010--trw-volvo-xc70-2010--trw-G3052RB

I'm assuming that there were basically two pumps used in a bunch of Volvo's at the time; the C30/S40/etc chassis had one and then larger cars like the S60/XC70/etc had a different one.  Bet the control logic is largely the same. 

Not sure of a better way to figure this out so grains of salt & YMMV on this.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 8:02 a.m.

One thing that might be nice about the MINI pump is the divorced reservoir.  So you can stuff the pump in one space and reservoir in another.  Although one thing to bear in mind with the MINI pump is they can get hot while in use - which is why MINI stuck a fan under them.  When the fan inevitably gets broken (since it's about 6" from the road...), the pump overheats and fails.  I don't know if the Volvo pump has the same issues, but an old friend has owned a C30 for a number of years. I'll ask him.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 8:56 a.m.

In reply to dave215 :

Would love to know more about your hook up. So far I have just put the two big power wires to a battery and that sucker lit right up. Nice and quiet.

Do you run supplementary cooling like it had in the mini or just al-fresco?

Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 9:16 a.m.

FYI, there are a few ways to add EPAS to a Miata column. Sourcing an airbag column should be pretty easy, although I don't see why it couldn't be done with a non-airbag column.

From what's I've seen from a distance, the thing that hasn't been cracked yet is real time variable assist. That's a matter of CAN programming. The implementation I've seen (not the K Power one) involved a knob to dial the assist up and down. A coworker installed it in his own Miata.

An electric pump for the hydraulic system is an interesting midway point.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/18/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Can you give links/info? I have an epas column, a spare mista column. And an nb that needs assist. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/20 9:27 a.m.

I googled "NA Miata epas" and came up with these.

- I think this is what Mike did. https://preparedmiata.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/electric-power-steering-conversion-p1/

- some forum talked about it and there are some links in this thread. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/miata-electric-power-steering-conversion/151081/page1/

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
11/18/20 9:34 a.m.

If you were going to go electric...why not an under-dash unit?...plenty of conversions of any number of EPAS under dash units....get away from the mess of hydraulic fluid(although some people who do that complain of a lack of good return-to-center)

aw614
aw614 Reader
11/18/20 10:51 a.m.

I drove a K swap integra with the volvo pump installed, it drove really similar to a power steering equipped integra like mine. The owner was still fixing a few minor issues with it so my first session was with it off, and second with it on. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 11:26 a.m.

I am going to guess they have similar power draws. How does the under dash version deal with getting two high current devices going at the same time? Starter nad PS will both dray big amps.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
11/18/20 11:36 a.m.

This is the bad boy I am looking for

C30, C70, S40, V50 from 2004 to 2012

So they should not be that rare in the scrapyard.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/18/20 11:49 a.m.
NOHOME said:

I am going to guess they have similar power draws. How does the under dash version deal with getting two high current devices going at the same time? Starter nad PS will both dray big amps.

The under dash electric column isn't drawing any current unless you are turning the wheel. As long as you aren't sawing away at the steering while operating the starter you should be just fine.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kr0CEXF2P0PY7HUO8IDcPbuSXgnDHHai30O783JXowo582ViKnylDdYIpTIP1Y72