danvan
danvan GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/5/18 11:13 p.m.

Hi all

I am thinking of buying a 2006 Volvo XC70 as a 2nd/ winter daily driver have any of you had any experience with them  it seems like they are great cars.

What do you all think

Thanks

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/6/18 4:20 a.m.

Our '07 (purchased new) has been trouble free, although it hasn't seen much use.

My biggest complaint is that it is handcuffed to the dealership's Volvo's VIDA software.

It will swallow an amazing quantity of cargo and is a confidence-inspiring place to sit when the weather turns sporty.

I've seen 28 MPG on the interstate but it is pretty thirsty around town.

ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual)
ManhattanM (fka NY535iManual) Reader
7/6/18 5:57 a.m.

I say go for it! We had a 2003 that as my wife’s daily from July 2014 to December of last year. It was great, maybe even my favorite ever all around car ever. The seats are amazingly comfortable, it has decent power and a pretty good ride. Held more cargo than our current 3rd row SUV. With good tires it’s pretty great in the snow/rain. Agree it’s thirsty in town. Swedespeed and other forums have a lot of good info, with low jerk factor.  

In around 40k miles, the only “replace the part” problem we had was a hard plastic check valve pressure accumulator thingy that cracked due to age.  $30 and 5 min to fix, but my gorilla tape patch worked just fine.

That said, two typical problems started showing up right before we traded it in, and are what made my wife uncomfortable with it. First, the instrument panel started intermittently blanking out. There are lots of DIYs online to re-solder some cracked connections on the main circuit board that cause the problem, but I didn’t get around to it before the car was moved on. Second, the transmission started shifting hard and flare shifting. Supposedly, a fluid swap (NOT flush) fixes this a high percentage of the time, but I didn’t get around to that either. (IMPORTANT: On top of the transmission, right where a fill plug would logically be, is a bolt that holds one of the bands in place. It even LOOKS like a fill plug. Apparently, if you loosen that by accident the tranny turns into a paper weight.)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/6/18 8:50 a.m.

I have a 2016 XC70. It's been good so far. Some years there were issues with the AWD system, but not sure which years. (Mine is FWD). 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDQRSmH1NkhAqXcdjPnWUXvkOS38F06HeVjw8ieLnnP72VQyGOETQE0rtzvj2ENc