Clarty
Clarty Reader
6/15/19 6:36 p.m.

Mrs . Clarty’s super cool Ford Flex is showing its age.  We’ve had Volvos before and really liked them, and were considering a V8 XC90.  

Below is a site that says virtually every XC90 transmission will fail, but gives no specifics about which engine/transmission configgeration is worse.  I’m pretty sure Volvo used different transmissions with different engines.

Does the hive have any wisdom to impart in this regard?

Thanks 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/15/19 9:06 p.m.

The early twin turbo six used a GM hydramatic that wasn't really up to the task.  All the others use an Aisan trans, and are no worse than any modern automatic.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/16/19 10:12 a.m.

The valve bodies are not the best and will give issues, usually benign.  (occasional shift flares, usually)  Most of these issues were addressed in 2007.  Mechanically stout.  All V8s will have the TF81 and the mongo huge angle drive and a way overbuilt Haldex unit.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/16/19 10:16 a.m.

The early twin turbo six used a GM hydramatic that wasn't really up to the task.  All the others use an Aisan trans, and are no worse than any modern automatic.

I don't really get this. The 4t60 has it easier than it ever did behind the supercharged 3.8s in GMs and noone ever complains about that. In my opinion it's significantly more reliable than the aisin trans. I dont think the aisin trans is 'bad', but it is definitely more likely to 'act up' even if the actual repair needed is not a full rebuild. 

Knurled.
6/16/19 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Volvo, being Volvo, had their own controls algorithms and IIRC even their own valve body/solenoid pack.  Volvo liked to sleaze the transmissions into gear and the solenoids would wear out a bunch faster than in GMs.

At least, this is my understanding of the situation.

Same thing with the AW55.  Not a problematic trans in the billions of Nissans that used it, poor valve body longevity in Volvos.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/16/19 11:06 a.m.

The hydramatic final drive planetary comes apart and sends steel through the system. I presume it has something to do with weight, awd loading, and perceived longevity of the rest of the vehicle.  Not sure exactly why, but somewhere between 100 and 150 k miles, there will be trouble.

Clarty
Clarty Reader
6/16/19 9:52 p.m.

Thanks for all the information.

So if I have it right, I should avoid T6 XC90s, but post- 2007 V8s are pretty reliable?

Knurled.
6/17/19 6:08 a.m.
Clarty said:

Thanks for all the information.

So if I have it right, I should avoid T6 XC90s, but post- 2007 V8s are pretty reliable?

"T6" does not mean what people instictively think it means.  It just means gasoline engine over, IIRC, 250hp (give or take).  There are four cylinder T6s.

There is little bad about even the early 6 speed automatics, IMO.  At least, I have one with the "bad" valvebody and I have 215k on it and it still works fine.

For a vehicle as huge as an XC90, I would not get an earlier 5 speed auto version (anything with a five cylinder) strictly because the 6 speed is available in six and eight cylinder models, and it comes with beefier everything else, and the price of entry is the same in 2019.  Downside:  I don't like the V8s, but that is personal preference.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/17/19 6:59 a.m.

In reply to Clarty :

From what I've read (I was interested in an XC90 for a while), it's the early T6s that are the problem.  The twin turbo 6 combined with the heavy vehicle meant they all blew their transmissions.  The T5 was fine, and I believe the later 3.2 6 cylinder was fine as well.  

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/17/19 7:34 a.m.

Am I the only one who was surprised to find out the XC90 has been around since 2002 and is not that new sexy wagon that came out last year or so?

I own an XC70, so one would think I’d know what else was in the showroom in 2016, but SUVs are mostly invisible to me. Just don’t pay much attention to them.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/17/19 8:52 a.m.
Knurled. said:

"T6" does not mean what people instictively think it means.  It just means gasoline engine over, IIRC, 250hp (give or take).  There are four cylinder T6s.

That's true past a certain year, but at least up until 2015 I think the T6 XC90 had a twin turbo inline 6. It was with the redesign in 2016 that they started bastardizing their previously sensical engine labeling.

Knurled.
6/17/19 10:00 a.m.
dculberson said:
Knurled. said:

That's true past a certain year, but at least up until 2015 I think the T6 XC90 had a twin turbo inline 6. It was with the redesign in 2016 that they started bastardizing their previously sensical engine labeling.

Oh no, it was always the case.  My S40 was a T3, although they did not label it as such on the trunk.  It's just a happy coincidence that the T4s were fours, T5s were fives

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
6/17/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I only know it's that old because it was in Project Gotham Racing as a starter car.

It was God awful slow.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest New Reader
6/17/19 12:23 p.m.

Recently I learned the Ford Flex is still on sale in the year of our Lord, 2019.  They still depreciate like a rock, too!  I loved my 2009..someone wrecked it and replaced with a practically identical, lightly used 2017.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/17/19 1:00 p.m.
Knurled. said:
dculberson said:
Knurled. said:

Oh no, it was always the case.  My S40 was a T3, although they did not label it as such on the trunk.  It's just a happy coincidence that the T4s were fours, T5s were fives

I think the ">250hp" thing is a recent construction. I had a T5 that was a 5-cylinder with over 250hp. I think they've retconned their definition as if it applied previously but I promise, up to 2015, a T5 was a turbo 5 and a T6 was a turbo 6.

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/19 1:03 p.m.

Bought a 2003 XC90 2.5T AWD.  Drove it 220K miles and only sold it because the interior was getting ratty due to our dogs. 

Never had a problem with either the engine or trans.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/7/19 2:36 p.m.

Resurrection. 

So, these are back on my radar. Specifically a later V8. With he beefed up trans and Haldex, how are these for towing?  Not car type towing, but a pop up camper, well under 3k lbs but with up to 6 peeps and full luggage in the car for long trips (Michigan to Florida, Colorado, Yellowstone etc). We don’t hang around either. 

car39
car39 HalfDork
7/8/19 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Gas mileage on the V8 is terrible, like 9 around town.  To get any type of  gas mileage out of them, you need 92 octane, and have to manually shift it.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/8/19 9:26 a.m.

In reply to car39 :

You’re E36 M3ting!  9 really!!  Back to looking at LR3/4’s. Even they’re not that bad. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
7/8/19 10:53 a.m.

Volvo was bought by the Chinese in 2010 I think, so the fact they took the engine badges and now misrepresent them would be expected.

Yes the inevitable has begun already.  The Chinese will probably buy Ford next or Chevy.

11110000 Reader
7/8/19 11:42 a.m.

9 MPG?  My S80 V8 is only ~400lbs lighter and I turn just over 20MPG in mixed driving with the same 6spd Autobox and Haldex system.

The V8 is terrifically balanced with ample midrange power, but I don't know that it would be the greatest for towing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/8/19 12:21 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

Volvo was bought by the Chinese in 2010 I think, so the fact they took the engine badges and now misrepresent them would be expected.

Yes the inevitable has begun already.  The Chinese will probably buy Ford next or Chevy.

My 2017 S60 is Chinese-built by Chinese-owned Volvo.  The fit, finish, and paint are all fantastic.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7CZb1lwPaBWxRsQAlTdQVPSJgU6guqok97EgYDZhjpcTe47Nw7qeePeIFTeV0paD