1 2 3
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/15/20 9:27 p.m.

I'm not really in the target audience for these high-dollar resto-mods.  There is obviously a market for cars like this, and gaudy seems to be the thing. So yes, this car is gaudy. I could do a bit of gaudy if it takes design cues from the original and respects the original design intent. I'm struggling to see that here. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/15/20 9:35 p.m.

It is so close to being a huge giant yes, it is hard to believe they missed it by that much.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
12/15/20 9:47 p.m.

Like others, I think I'm okay with the seats, but the door cards are a bit much, and the dash is a resounding no.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
12/15/20 10:32 p.m.

Saw that on BAT last week - loved it!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/15/20 10:56 p.m.

Germans are just a weird group of humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZMoGyr1BFU

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/20 11:35 p.m.
Duke said:

BLEAGHCK!

If it was just the seat inserts, maybe OK.  It would benefit from a smaller scale pattern, though.

But the door cards and dash panel are a mortal sin.  That steering wheel might have looked good in black - highly doubtful - but that aggressively bright tan (how is that even a thing?) just highlights what an ugly design it is.

I do not mind the door cards, but the dash and wheel need to go.  

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 12:36 a.m.

In a way it reminds me of a Boxster I had with a Nephrite Green full leather interior:

• Buying - Hey this is really unique. I like it.
  • A few weeks later - Maybe I should swap in some black pieces to tone it down a little.
  • Selling six months later, hoping to break even - "Rare color combo, must see in person!"
STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/16/20 3:59 a.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd rock it, but not for $230,000....for that money a Singer looks better in every way.

Pretty sure Singers start around $450-500k (plus the donor car), and go up breathtakingly fast from there, so by that metric, maybe this price isn't as bad? You get 80-90% of the Singer look for less than 50% of the price.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 7:03 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:

I do not mind the door cards, but the dash and wheel need to go.  

There is proof of going one step too far, and the dash insert is it. Just that solid like the bezel would be better.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/16/20 7:31 a.m.

I generally like what they're doing, but it's louder than I'd prefer. I think I'd pass. The money? I have better uses for that cash, but sadly, that's true of most of the aircooled world to me these days.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/16/20 8:22 a.m.

I love it, but I probably wouldn't have done the dash if it were my project. I might still buy it done that way, though. I wouldn't pay 230k for it but it's got nothing to do with the interior. I love the interior.

Note for the fans of smaller patterns - I'm pretty sure that's actually hand woven leather strips making the pattern, not printed. Just think about those logistics for a minute.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/16/20 9:21 a.m.

I love it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/16/20 9:44 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

Note for the fans of smaller patterns - I'm pretty sure that's actually hand woven leather strips making the pattern, not printed. Just think about those logistics for a minute.

That doesn't make it better, just more questionable.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 9:52 a.m.

It's a hit, but definitely not for me. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/16/20 9:54 a.m.

Auction hit $230,000, but didn't make reserve???surprise

Somebody is nuts. 

AaronT
AaronT Reader
12/16/20 10:01 a.m.

I like the interior, but I also drive a $5k Miata as my fun car so my aversion to the car is that I can't afford it.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/16/20 10:04 a.m.

One of my favourite back-dated 911s, a 964 from Ninemeister in England.....No photo description available.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
12/16/20 10:06 a.m.

Let's just say if I paid that much for a car, it would not have that interior.  I'm sure someone loves it, but I think it's pretty tacky.  The only thing missing is the fuzzy steering wheel cover.  cheeky

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/16/20 10:10 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

One of my favourite back-dated 911s, a 964 from Ninemeister in England.....No photo description available.

Warren Martin,'99 Miata,'03 CooperS,'91 GTI 16V,06 Scion Xb ,73 Corolla SR5, 2019 GMC Canyon

That is pretty darn perfect. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/16/20 10:17 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think so , too. If I wanted a back dated car, it's intended to look like a 70s car, but with all the modern amenities, just in disguise. I love the wheels, 15x7 fronts with 205/55/15s,and 15x8 rears with 225/50/15s.See the source image

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
12/16/20 10:18 a.m.

Initially I liked it but after a little bit the dash started saying "727 sitting in coach" to me. I think it would drive me nuts.

As for 911 prices......................I'm always left wondering when the bubble will burst but it never does. I've driven a lot of older 911s from stock to specials and for me they could not be 230K special (not that I could remotely even afford to buy one), yet I think the 911 GT-3RS is worth every penny................it's all perception, eh.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/16/20 11:08 a.m.

So, here's another view of the hounds tooth interior, taken during the car's construction. The colour tones appear much different and there are no carpets or door panels installed. Imagine a darker colour leather where the blue steel is and , at least to me, the interior doesn't seem nearly as garish as the original photo.75 RSR TT Seafoam int5

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 3:29 p.m.

Oh man. I love it. Gives me energy to go get my MGB GT done so I can do the interior in a similar fashion!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
12/16/20 4:08 p.m.

ABS. SO. Lutely. Would be PERFECT match for the pattern on my Louis V. My puppy would look SOOOO cute on trips to the nail salon. 

OldGray320i (Forum Supporter)
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/16/20 5:06 p.m.

For all those that love it, I'm tempted to post up some 90s street rods - we'll expect ooohs and aaahs from you. 

"What on God's green earth were they thinking" will be your new forum tag. 

Oh, and know that if you want to flame me for that comment, it won't work. 

I own and lovingly care for an E21 (well, not really or it would be finished by now).  And a Members Only jacket. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WGT5vOQWWBLBy6PcGxgsaJV8sT5YExAtrfKs5DGG7BrBtgBytydOvvNCOjkJjuxF