1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/14 3:20 p.m.

I was reading the "VR5 thread" and I have wondered for a long time if there is an easy button for putting a VR6 in to a 944. I think it involves the bell housing form a 924turbo and then I seem to remember that there may be an issue with the starter or something. I have seen that these motors take boost very well and generally are very reliable motors.

Is there an easy button or off the shelf recipe for this?

Shaun
Shaun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/14 3:21 p.m.

I like the idea allot.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/13/14 3:27 p.m.

There's several threads on 924board.org about VR6 swaps along with a couple on swapping in the 1.8T.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=VR6+site%3A924board.org

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=1.8T+site%3A924board.org

Since the 944 is based off the 924's chassis and it uses an Audi motor that shares a similar bellhousing to the later Audi I5 motors, the cross flow I5 motors are slightly easier to swap.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
11/13/14 3:27 p.m.

Does your Porsche need more "check engine" light?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/13/14 3:30 p.m.

Let's bring like... three threads together with one video.

VR6.... with a Vortec V9.

http://youtu.be/ToyrRuAxQeo

Holy SOUNDS!!!!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/14 3:37 p.m.
Wally wrote: Does your Porsche need more "check engine" light?

Naaaa get rid of all that stuff and add MS. Here in Mass it is a safety only inspection on cars from 99 and earlier so you can ditch all that fun stuff and keep it simple.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
11/13/14 5:04 p.m.

Don't really see the point. The VR6 doesn't make much power, why go through all the effort and expense?

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/13/14 5:13 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Don't really see the point. The VR6 doesn't make much power, why go through all the effort and expense?

because you don't use the VR6 as stock, you strap a turbo on it and go after V8 swapped cars. :)

That said, I think a relatively stock VR6 in a 924 is a great idea compared to the lil 2.0L. The VR6 holds up well to abuse, is well supported in the aftermarket and doesn't alter the chassis dynamics or require massive amounts of drivetrain upgrades to survive it.

Different ways to skin a cat. Not everyone wants a fire breathing monster, some just want a decently reliable sporty car to drive on the street and I think a VR6 powered 924 or even a 944 would be a good solution to that.

Look at it this way: Some folks like Miata powered MGB's, others like their MGB's powered by LSJuans, both are the correct answer to the question when viewed from the standpoint of the owners.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/14 6:04 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Don't really see the point. The VR6 doesn't make much power, why go through all the effort and expense?

Because I can and it is my car, time and $$$$.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/13/14 8:14 p.m.

The VR6 sounds almost Italian in its engine tone, and also offers a good balance of wide/smooth torque, decent HP and relatively low weight in a pretty compact footprint. And as mentioned above, they take boost well too.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/13/14 8:45 p.m.

Hmm what about a newer 2.0L Turbo in a 924? That could be pretty good. With exhaust and a flash, they can produce gobs of horsepower. My cousins Audi A3 produces a little over 250 hp.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/13/14 9:16 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmm what about a newer 2.0L Turbo in a 924? That could be pretty good. With exhaust and a flash, they can produce gobs of horsepower. My cousins Audi A3 produces a little over 250 hp.

I really like that idea. The key is the bell housing. I want a bolt in as much as possible. If there is a bell housing that would make this a bolt in it needs furthers investigation. Does that motor suffer from the head gasket issues that other Audi motors are known for.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/14/14 7:22 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmm what about a newer 2.0L Turbo in a 924? That could be pretty good. With exhaust and a flash, they can produce gobs of horsepower. My cousins Audi A3 produces a little over 250 hp.
I really like that idea. The key is the bell housing. I want a bolt in as much as possible. If there is a bell housing that would make this a bolt in it needs furthers investigation. Does that motor suffer from the head gasket issues that other Audi motors are known for.

It's the 2.0L turbo that's also in the VW GTI and several other products.

The only problem that I am aware of with those engines is the early engines (TFSI) have a Cam Follower issue where it will eat itself and it's been well documented that it has to be replaced every 30k miles.

Other than that, they are pretty reliable.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/14 7:51 a.m.

What years and cars is the 2.0 turbo in? I will be surfing the isles of the pick and pull this weekend.

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
11/14/14 7:57 a.m.

MkV platform+ on the VW and the Audis start around 2006ish

Years will vary with model.

My wife's Tiguan has one and all of those did. Minor differences with the changing years.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
11/14/14 8:12 a.m.

In reply to dean1484: Nearly everything 2006 and newer from VW/Audi. Passat, EOS, Jetta, Tiguan, A4, and probably a few others I'm drawing a blank on. VERY common motor, just doesn't sound as good as VR6.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
11/14/14 8:31 a.m.

Because the VR6 is a crap motor. It has head gasket issues, timing chain issues and makes little to no power NA. You have to strap a turbo onto it to make decent power, which then adds to the cost, complexity, etc, etc.

If you're that opposed to doing an LS swap, the 1.8T motor would be a far nicer choice vs the VR6.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
11/14/14 8:43 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: In reply to dean1484: Nearly everything 2006 and newer from VW/Audi. Passat, EOS, Jetta, Tiguan, A4, and probably a few others I'm drawing a blank on. VERY common motor, just doesn't sound as good as VR6.

True, but I like the little burp it makes with the DSG.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/14/14 11:24 a.m.

Nope not going LS. Fun but not the type of car I am looking for. I rather go smaller I4 with a turbo and keep things at or around 225HP

I did the whole V8 thing years ago. Now I much prefer the challenge of getting more HP from less motor instead of easily getting way more HP and torque than I need relatively easily.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
11/14/14 11:37 a.m.

How does the VR6 work when in a longitudinal placement? Things like G loading... does the engine suffer from its changed positioning??

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/14/14 11:56 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: How does the VR6 work when in a longitudinal placement? Things like G loading... does the engine suffer from its changed positioning??

It's used in the Cayanee and Tourag in a longitudinal setup. Not sure what chnages were done to the internals to make this work. The intake and cams are different, but thats to improve the low end power and packaging.

Personally, this is why I'm interested as it is one of the few swaps available that would be something I could do without huge dollars and it would be legal for PCA Autocross without dumping me into the Non-Porsche powered class where I'd compete with Evo's and V8 swapped cars, etc.

Of course if I swapped in an Audi I5 banshee then I'd be legal for decent SCCA Autocross classing, but I'm not terribly interested in dealing with the SCCA.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/14/14 8:33 p.m.
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/14 11:39 a.m.

I think this is relevant http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28555

KyAllroad
KyAllroad HalfDork
11/15/14 8:09 p.m.
docwyte wrote: Because the VR6 is a crap motor. It has head gasket issues, timing chain issues and makes little to no power NA. You have to strap a turbo onto it to make decent power, which then adds to the cost, complexity, etc, etc. If you're that opposed to doing an LS swap, the 1.8T motor would be a far nicer choice vs the VR6.

Maybe you're thinking of the 2.8. Up the ante to the 3.6 and it's a decent runner.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
11/16/14 3:08 p.m.

034 Motorsports did a longitudinal VR6 A4, they might know if going north-south requires any changes.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
BJgChPcc4OhTfQQeYVwEKYYcO1rAaX7lndUA1JlGMNSCPXrZZ9VMrKp8BY20AfxD