1 2
bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/14 12:52 a.m.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14556

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/14 9:06 a.m.

That's great! I love seeing the intakes peeking out of the bonnet. Rear weight distribution, low cg, simple as pie. What's not to like?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
3/3/14 9:16 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Indiana highway department owns a fleet of vehicles that are almost exactly like you describe. VW power in the back, torsion-beam up front. Locost style construction.... Only their's have a generator & air compressor mounted to the top of the cage. They use them to replace the reflectors in-between the lanes, since the can drive from one to the next & never have leave the driver's seat to reach them. :)

Around here they use Ford Festivas with the doors removed. First one squirts the adhesive (tar?) and the second one places the reflector on the daub of goop.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
3/3/14 10:22 a.m.

My main question for this build is why the VW engine? I just don't see much up side. For the same price you can get way more HP, way more reliability and driveability. Of course you have to figure out a radiator, but to me that's well worth the effort.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/3/14 10:38 a.m.

Fellow in our club (AMEC) has an old VW buggy. AC engine, turbo charged. Not sure of the HP but it is fast on the ice. He also runs it in other events in the summer. His only problem is that the fifty year old chassis keeps breaking stuff.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w1tZASXRJjdlHey6RICJRiWnZWjpSrPZKKMqC51ohZYWq7vMOt0V3F5J16fEddqs