turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/2/20 3:01 p.m.

The EV revolution grinds on.  Small-ish crossovers like Model Y, upcoming VW ID.4, Mustang Mach-E.  Big supersedans like Model S and Lucid Air.  Some crazy trucks.  And bigger SUVs like Rivian R1S, Hummer, Model X.  

But no wagons!  And unless you count the Model 3, nothing small and fun.  I'm not banking on the latter because apparently everybody just wants to ride high and look like they might go on an adventure instead of actually having an adventure on the pavement they always drive on.  And hey, I get it, we bought a new CX-5 so we are just part of the problem. Tried to talk my wife into a Golf Alltrack but we were trading in a flawless Mazda3 and it was hard to jump brands. 

At any rate, there are rumors that VW will bring this thing here.  Large wagon, RWD and AWD variants, 3xx hp for AWD, range 300+!  Man would that be a cool family car.  I would prefer our CX5 replacement to either be a little larger and/or a little lower and more fun, and definitely at least PHEV.  Anyone else been following the news on this thing?

Space Vizzion!

​​​​​​

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/2/20 3:10 p.m.

I'm surprised. I had expected a "VW Space Vizzion" to be what you see after a wild party in a Microbus.

This looks pretty decent, and the styling more tame than the psychodelic styling and colors I had expected when clicking on this thread.

toonarmy
toonarmy New Reader
12/2/20 3:11 p.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

Yep, been following (with crossed fingers) since they announced it!  Supposedly 2022 for production?  The minute they begin to take deposits for them I'm plopping my money down...

Maybe this will drive ppl back to wagons?  I mean, what's not to love?

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/2/20 3:13 p.m.

Give it some non-hideous wheels (why do all nice EVs have gigantic and ugly wheels?) and a proper speedometer (I can't stand digital ones and refuse to buy a car with one).  Then I'd say it's solidly in the realm of things I'd find myself interested in owning. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
12/2/20 3:14 p.m.

Just make this Volkswagon. PLEASE I will buy one for my wife and I will even pay MSRP. 

New Volkswagen Microbus - VW to Build New Electric Bus

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/2/20 4:21 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Give it some non-hideous wheels (why do all nice EVs have gigantic and ugly wheels?) and a proper speedometer (I can't stand digital ones and refuse to buy a car with one).  Then I'd say it's solidly in the realm of things I'd find myself interested in owning. 

those wheels truly are hideous. Then again, most VWs have either boring or ugly wheels (Golf R excepted). The GTI wheels are the worst. 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
12/2/20 4:26 p.m.

Have you met VDub guys? It's like they are actively trying to throw any performance and visual upgrades out the vindow. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/2/20 4:54 p.m.
Vajingo said:

Have you met VDub guys? It's like they are actively trying to throw any performance and visual upgrades out the vindow. 

Hey, watch it mister!  Some of us try to keep our VWs both good looking and good performing. I think you're thinking of the "stance" crowd.

Honestly, it looks cool to me. Not a huge fan of that color but it probably looks better IRL than in that picture.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) Reader
12/2/20 5:55 p.m.

I like this car! An EV wagon is (for me) the sweet spot between being a capable road car (not some poser CUV) and still having real utility.  Not feeling that interior though; it feels like it’s trying too hard. Something a little less “IKEA catalog shot” would be better in my opinion.

Also I am emphatically NOT ready for play/pause icons on the brake and accelerator pedals.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/2/20 6:21 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

They are making it, hopefully it comes to the US also.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/2/20 7:46 p.m.

Agree with you guys on ugly wheels, fanciful interior etc. The production ID3 and ID4 look somewhat futuristic inside and out but reasonable. Personally the styling of Tesla kind of irks me and I really do not like the shape of the Model Y.  There are some silly things about it which are first world problems but still, $50k+ and no heated steering wheel, HUD, ventilated seats.  I do appreciate that even the LR AWD is pretty fast and would have a little more space than our CX-5 especially considering the frunk.  Just reluctant to pull the trigger when it seems there are so many interesting options one to three years out.

Definitely have some quality concerns with Tesla too. We've spent the last nine years in a new Mazda3 and CX-5 and had zero problems, with lots of city driving, some road trips, a few track events in the hatch, and the weather extremes of the midwest.  Now we're spoiled by high reliability vehicles.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/20 7:54 p.m.

A... wagon. It's just... a wagon.

*tears of joy*

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/3/20 2:43 a.m.

Well, they sell lots of them in the homeland and just bless us occasionally. I hope they see fit to once again.  

STM317
STM317 UberDork
12/3/20 6:14 a.m.

I'm very on board with the idea of a decent looking, 300hp/AWD, EV wagon with 300 mile range. Just have to determine value

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 6:24 a.m.

Yup, them's some ugly wheels. 

It'd be nice to see any wagon option on the market.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 7:22 a.m.

​​​​​​

Look at me, I'm smiling to prove that Germans are happy people you should trust! Forget WW1! Forget WW2! Forget Dieselgate! Forget that we are back-stabbing A-holes who will screw you at any opportunity to save a Euro! We have changed (again). You can trust us (again). We make clean battery cars now!

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
12/3/20 8:44 a.m.

Hm, that's an interesting take.  As long as VAG keeps popping out Porsche GT cars they can do whatever they want.  Certainly rather support them than anything in PRC.  Which drops one of the main wagon purveyors ( Volvo ) out of contention.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/3/20 9:43 a.m.

Yup, I want one and the van as well.

The Bolt is a ten year car I think. I've had it a year, and no real competitor exists yet which meets my needs. This could, if it comes to market here and at the right price. I am hopeful I will have lots of fun alternatives in 2029.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQBEKx3JWdSBhdppquyxbz03KBPs3LNEPeEzPkCJ4h5OpGBFKmMGGbM9se4xR7SC