Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/19 11:07 a.m.

Besides trying to get the MG ready for some track and autocross, I've been talking to a friend who's really interested in trying a track day with his new GTI (which replaced a Mk4 GTI he had for years), and we have a couple of Track Night In America rounds at Portland International Raceway, conveniently enough. Seems like the perfect place to start!

We've had a lot of discussion about insurance and track days on the forum, so that's sorted. But what about warranty? Said friend is not interested in the "just don't tell them"/"plausible deniability" approach, completely and thoroughly. I point this out to avoid the whole "workaround" set of suggestions.

What I'd like to know about VW in particular is whether if they know the car has been used for HPDEs, whether they will give an owner grief about warranty work.

I'm inclined to suggest just emailing VW and getting an answer which, if it claims warranty shouldn't be an issue, can be hauled out if it becomes a problem. Of course the answer may also be no, which is good to know up front even if it kiboshes the fun. But I'm distantly worried that asking the question could cause warranty problems even if the result is that he never actually does an HPDE.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/19 11:19 a.m.

OEMs are all over the place with this: https://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/27/new-car-warranty-valid-race-track/

Really though a lot of it comes down to the dealer. There are still service departments out there that will claim all kinds of crazy BS void the warranty, and then there are service departments that will determine warranty status in an honest and transparent fashion. So, YMMV.

He could always have someone else e-mail as a general inquiry instead of stating he is an owner and thinking of a specific event, etc, if he is that fearful.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/2/19 11:22 a.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

I found that article while poking around, and was bummed that they had no info for VW.

It's true that dealers are going to have an impact, but it seems like in trying to make a decision, the manufacturer's stance is the most important thing. We have a few VW dealers around here, so even if a couple are turkeys in the face of a pleasing answer from VW, there's reason to hope for finding one that will honor VW's decision.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
7/2/19 11:45 a.m.

One of my local dealers organizes their own track days and is also an APR dealer.  So at least with them, they're not going to void your warranty if you do hpde's. 

Since the dealers are independent of VWoA, ymmv...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rhyjWaBSBRiB9zfXzhYTEwyXGHZYLwIlImmszA2fgBQrA1QjmzI6piD8MbrwdBmS