Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/8/21 11:15 a.m.
feature_image

Yes, VW is making a wagon version of the Golf R. No, you can’t have it if you live in North America.

Sorry, we don’t make the rules.

At any rate, the Golf R Estate is, quite simply, a wagon version of the Golf R—at least according to the spec sheet.

Both are powered by a 315-horsepower, turbocharged four-cylinder engine …

Read the rest of the story

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/8/21 1:01 p.m.

VW made a Golf R estate in the previous generation too, that we also didn't get here.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes Reader
7/8/21 6:18 p.m.

Just a guess, but really dismal sales figures for the Golf All-Trac/All-Road...whatever, may be 1 reason why we don't get it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/8/21 8:30 p.m.

Same story as always. US enthusiast pine for cool wagons on the web. Then they sell like 5 of them before they have to discount the crap out of it to move them. So I don't see another really cool wagon coming over for a long time. 

And yes I did my part. Bought a Sportwagen AWD. 1 of 2 in Colorado springs. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/21 8:35 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Same story as always. US enthusiast pine for cool wagons on the web. Then they sell like 5 of them before they have to discount the crap put of it to move then. So I don't see another really cool wagon coming over for a long time. 

100% this. But still, my heart yearns for something like this. I'd love to replace the Fusion with something with a hatch, but it will probably end up being a crossover/SUV.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/8/21 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

Saw a Fusion wagon in Norway cheeky, it was called Mondeo. 

7/8/21 9:24 p.m.
Slippery said:

Yeah, those are damn pretty:

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
7/8/21 9:55 p.m.

I don't understand the fascination for bloated station wagon versions of cars

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/9/21 6:05 a.m.

I don't understand the fascination for the less practical sedan versions of wagons.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/9/21 8:13 a.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:
Slippery said:

Yeah, those are damn pretty:

The previous ST wagons are amazing, I would love to have one.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/21 8:23 a.m.
Carsandbikes said:

Just a guess, but really dismal sales figures for the Golf All-Trac/All-Road...whatever, may be 1 reason why we don't get it.

When I bought my GTI I was seriously considering an all trac. Had it been available with the GTI or the golf r engine I would be in one right now. One reason for crappy sales on it is the fact that they put the 1.8 in there. And if it had more power VW tuner community would snatch them up much faster.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/9/21 8:40 a.m.

Yep, if the alltrac wagon had the 2 liter I would've bought one.  Would've been easy to turn it into a Golf R wagon but with the 1.8?  Not so much

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/21 9:00 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Same story as always. US enthusiast pine for cool wagons on the web. Then they sell like 5 of them before they have to discount the crap put of it to move then. So I don't see another really cool wagon coming over for a long time. 

This always happens and then they become unicorns of the used car market and never lose their value.

7/9/21 9:22 a.m.
iansane said:

This always happens and then they become unicorns of the used car market and never lose their value.

Yep. CTS-V wagons haven't lost a penny in value for years now.

I will say that a Golf R wagon isn't as big a deal to me as some cars, since the Golf R we do get is still a 4-door hatchback. 

mfennell
mfennell Reader
7/9/21 9:25 a.m.

As much as I like it, I'd never buy one new.   I have $28,500 or so in my '19 SportWagen.  If R Estate was available here, it would easily be $45k and you don't see discounts on the Rs.  Just too much for me for a parked-outside daily driver. 

Totally agree with docwyte and irish that the 2.0 (the GTI/R version, not what they put in the Tiguans) would have made my car amazing.  Comparing Unitronic dyno plots for a tuned R to an IS38 1.8, the torque comes in 700rpm sooner and HP/Torque are +50.  Unfortunately, it's a difficult upgrade path.  

I did recently learn that the R transaxle has better (closer, shorter) ratios, and the ECU should play nice.  The bevel drive, haldex, and rear diff are identical to the R.  That might be my next (and last?) upgrade.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/9/21 9:28 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

As much as I don't want to admit it, it's this 100%.

Yeah the Golf Estate R is really cool, but is run out to the dealership right now with cash in hand cool?

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
7/9/21 10:26 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

I did my part as well.  My first new car purchase ever was a 6MT Golf Alltrack. A FocusST wagon would have been nice, the Focus hatchback was just too small and little too sporty-looking for my taste.  Wagons make mountain bikes, surfboards, and just about everything easier to transport.

Golf R suspension is a direct fit on the alltrack. GTI or R turbos (is20 is38), a tune and bolt-ons, and 300HP should be easy-peasy.  Of course, starting with the 2.0L would be better and I know there have been a few swaps.

Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter)
Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/9/21 12:41 p.m.

another golf R owner here that would have preferred a wagon and bought new. I was actually at the dealer looking at alltracks and they offered up a drive in an R, which ruined the alltrack for me. You also couldn't get the higher trims in a manual (leather, active cruise, etc, at least in 2018). I guess i didn't do my part though, I went used as I didn't jive with the digital cockpit. I will admit the size of the regular hatch is awesome in town, so I don't feel like I'm missing out as much as if it was a sedan. 

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/9/21 2:18 p.m.

I did my part... bought a Golf R new.   Would have purchased the wagon version.   At this point I will just be happy if the hot hatch stays around (from any manufacturer).

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/21 6:22 p.m.
Hoondavan said:
bmw88rider said:

I did my part as well.  My first new car purchase ever was a 6MT Golf Alltrack. A FocusST wagon would have been nice, the Focus hatchback was just too small and little too sporty-looking for my taste.  Wagons make mountain bikes, surfboards, and just about everything easier to transport.

Golf R suspension is a direct fit on the alltrack. GTI or R turbos (is20 is38), a tune and bolt-ons, and 300HP should be easy-peasy.  Of course, starting with the 2.0L would be better and I know there have been a few swaps.

Anything is possible in the aftermarket. But would it be nice to have that with an OEM warranty, which I definitely consider a necessity for a Volkswagen (I would not own my GTI if it did not come with the post dieselgate 6/72k warranty).

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/21 6:36 p.m.

VW NA does some strange stuff.

Dad and his girl wanted to buy a VW Wagon with the 2.5L because they do mostly short trips to the store, etc. so the TDi would suffer with that use.

Do you think they could get it with the same equipment as the TDi?  Nope.

He could if he were in Canada, but not the US.

All he wanted was the updated head unit with the backup camera, etc. because his girl only has vision in one eye and has to back out of their 2000sqft garage without hitting anything and of course it only has a single car wide door (because it was a 3-corner rebuild from the PO that expanded the single car garage to a space the size of the house, so they kept the door and its annoyed us ever since he bought the house).

So, an Android head unit was installed along with aftermarket camera setup.

Honestly, I can understand not wanting to stock certain packages.  I get that.  but if someone wanted to special order it and wait for it to arrive?  Why not make your customer happy?  Its not like it would be an emissions issue, since the drivetrain is certified.

Just annoying when companies make it hard for you to give them money because they can't see the forest for the trees.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/10/21 9:47 a.m.

I bought my Golf R new and would've bought the wagon version had they had it here. 

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/10/21 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Fupdiggity (Forum Supporter) :

Exactly my issue too in Atlanta. The lack of SE trim with the manual was really annoying but I still probably would have bought one if I could have found one in the blue color. Everything I found was white silver or red.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
7/10/21 11:35 p.m.

I bought a new 2018 Alltrack 6 speed and definitely would have considered the R.  t's about 10k til the warranty is up so I am planning on an is20 or is38 turbo upgrade and supporting mods.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
18W3z4DsJescqqKbFPIHo4PXYdyIrXkH9oOaALVvHE2wqD3PQgIEleZKedFyazPU