1 2
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/8/16 6:42 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YbLweooe3aM

The SS is impressive, if a little homely looking, but the want is much stronger for the Bimmer.

DocV
DocV New Reader
6/8/16 8:38 a.m.

I finished that video with a strong want for the SS. Dynamics similar to the E39 M5, but new, with GM maintenance costs (no stupid BMW plastic timing chain guides)

LS motor + 6 speed + LSD + 4 doors seems like a simple enough order, but it's unfortunate that this will be on its way out. I started a "what car? Dad car edition" thread, and to me this would be near the top of the list (I bought an Evo). I just checked, and there are 7 sitting on lots in Atlanta, and only 1 is a manual. The asking price $51k on one hand seems like a bargain for the performance but I guess is uncomfortable territory for something with a bowtie badge.

Does Cadillac make a CTS sedan with a "plain" LS? I just checked, and the CTS-V has a supercharger now.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/8/16 8:54 a.m.

All a SS needs is the Holden badging and covers.... To be perfect.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/16 9:28 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote: All a SS needs is the Holden badging and covers.... To be perfect.

Which is a $200 kit you can buy directly from Chevy.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
6/8/16 9:34 a.m.
DocV wrote: Does Cadillac make a CTS sedan with a "plain" LS? I just checked, and the CTS-V has a supercharger now.

Yup: The 1st Gen CTS-V.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/8/16 11:11 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Yeah, but try to put all these words into a single vehicle without blowing your mind: 556 hp, 6 speed manual, supercharged Cadillac Station Wagon

Just ask Mazduece.

STM317
STM317 Reader
6/8/16 11:12 a.m.

Hmmm. I figured adding super fancy shocks that react in fractions of a second would improve track times.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
6/8/16 11:53 a.m.

The video said the ss was a SOHC. lol

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/8/16 12:20 p.m.

I kind of hoped the SS would be the everyman CTS. Without all of the fancy Cadillac bits it should be cheaper, and I guess it is, but at $46k base price and $50k+ for one with any options the value proposition is tough.
I see a base Impala (about the same size) at $27k. Then I see a base V8 Silverado (same motor) is right at 27k, but somehow if they build a car that size with that engine it's $20k more? I was really hoping this was going to be more modestly priced and spawn Ute and wagon variants in the Caprice El Camino families.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
6/8/16 12:33 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Yeah, but try to put all these words into a single vehicle without blowing your mind: 556 hp, 6 speed manual, supercharged Cadillac Station Wagon Just ask Mazduece.

There's no question that the CTS-V Wagon rules. It also costs around $30k more than a clean 1st gen model. They hold their value really well.

I also thought the 1st gen cars would have dipped down to around $7000-less by now. What's taking so long?

Tom_Spangler
6/8/16 12:39 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I kind of hoped the SS would be the everyman CTS. Without all of the fancy Cadillac bits it should be cheaper, and I guess it is, but at $46k base price and $50k+ for one with any options the value proposition is tough. I see a base Impala (about the same size) at $27k. Then I see a base V8 Silverado (same motor) is right at 27k, but somehow if they build a car that size with that engine it's $20k more? I was really hoping this was going to be more modestly priced and spawn Ute and wagon variants in the Caprice El Camino families.

We talked about this the last time we had a thread about the SS, but it's expensive for a few reasons, mostly having to do with the fact that the plant in Australia where they are made is only open to honor a union contract. That's why it's expensive and they don't advertise it here. They sell something like 2-3k of them a year, and they are fine with that.

Tom_Spangler
6/8/16 12:40 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I also thought the 1st gen cars would have dipped down to around $7000-less by now. What's taking so long?

Enthusiast tax. It's a 400hp LS-powered RWD manual sedan. There will always be an enthusiast market for that. So it's probably done depreciating at this point, or at least close to it.

calteg
calteg Dork
6/8/16 12:49 p.m.
jstein77 wrote:

Oh my

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
6/8/16 1:22 p.m.

I have driven the Chevy Caprice PPV and really like it. If I were in a position to buy an SS, I'd be all over it. The Caprice PPV I drove was an auto and a V6, of course, but it was pretty cool. I imagine that with almost 100 more HP and a trans that I am in control of, it would be much more fun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/8/16 3:28 p.m.
calteg wrote:
jstein77 wrote:
Oh my

That one has aftermarket flares on it. The raw kit was something silly like $6k. I talked to a guy at Hennessey (since they're local and all) because they had put a set on and integrated them into the body like that blue one. I was quoted $35k for the the flares and body work.
I look at it like this, the Tahoe starts at $47k and the Escalade at $72k, a $25k or 53% more. If you assume the math would work the same on the CTS-V (starts at $83k) you could build an everyman 650hp sedan for $53k which is (ballpark) what you're paying for the SS which is a LOT less car than the V is.
GM has been the king of platform sharing forever, and now that they have a couple of very good platforms they're keeping them upscale which I don't get. Yes the Camaro shares it, but where is the common sedan/Ute/wagon? Why aren't they building a mid size sport CUV with the engineering they have?

I don't know, GM seems to want to continue to make mediocre cars in order to make their good cars stand out. That may have worked 30 years ago when a GM buyer was only looking at GM products, but I don't know anyone who shops like that anymore.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
6/8/16 4:36 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I kind of hoped the SS would be the everyman CTS. Without all of the fancy Cadillac bits it should be cheaper, and I guess it is, but at $46k base price and $50k+ for one with any options the value proposition is tough. I see a base Impala (about the same size) at $27k. Then I see a base V8 Silverado (same motor) is right at 27k, but somehow if they build a car that size with that engine it's $20k more? I was really hoping this was going to be more modestly priced and spawn Ute and wagon variants in the Caprice El Camino families.

That's probably why're they're sellingfor $38k new, and new 15's are still on the lot. I did a quick cars.com search earlier and found a white 16 base for $38k with 6 miles on it. In Cali. Thats the ultimate fly-n-drive car there.

Seriously, what NEW car are you going to find that does all these fun things for that price and makes the right noises with 4 doors? I mean, people are OK with a $40 pirate Civic and a $40k Focus.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
6/8/16 6:09 p.m.

I'm in sales and I am required to have a 4 door. I'm addicted to speed and would see a lot of speeding tickets. I am better off wailing down the road rowing my 4-cylinder 5-speed Accord thinking I'm Mario Andretti and the Accord doesn't require premium fuel but, oh man, I too like the SS and occasionally look them up on eBay.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
6/8/16 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

$38k is the perfect price for that car and if that was sticker and they advertised them I have to believe they'd sell.
Of course what I reeeeeealy want is the Ute version.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/16 7:39 p.m.

She drives me nuts sometimes, but I do love this car.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
6/8/16 8:36 p.m.

I had an M5, I REALLY want to try out an SS. The M5 was great to drive, when it worked. I'd like to think that an Australian GM would be much more reliable than that.

E39 M5 prices hit the bottom of their curve around 2012-2014 I think. They've been steadily rising since then. I think the first-gen CTS-V's have been holding slightly better resale values even now, but I haven't checked in a while.

Tom_Spangler
6/8/16 8:50 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
That's probably why're they're sellingfor $38k new, and new 15's are still on the lot. I did a quick cars.com search earlier and found a white 16 base for $38k with 6 miles on it. In Cali. Thats the ultimate fly-n-drive car there. Seriously, what NEW car are you going to find that does all these fun things for that price and makes the right noises with 4 doors? I mean, people are OK with a $40 pirate Civic and a $40k Focus.

I came >this< close to buying a new 2014 SS off a dealer lot in January for $36k. I didn't like the seats. But it was a hell of a deal, used ones with 15-20k on them were going for similar money.

On the topic of M5s, there's a guy on Corner-Carvers with a mechanically sound 2003 that needs a few cosmetic things. I think he's asking $16k for it. Not bad, IMO.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/9/16 5:46 a.m.

Spot on with the rental car styling. Probably the perfect antidote to busybodies in the office parking lot wondering how much you are paid.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/9/16 6:00 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: Spot on with the rental car styling. Probably the perfect antidote to busybodies in the office parking lot wondering how much you are paid.

Especially if they can't even figure out what it is.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/9/16 8:13 a.m.

Still doesn't explain the dumb name.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
6/9/16 9:01 a.m.

It's the perfect sales car. Understated and a Chevy so customers won't think anything of it. I wouldn't want to deal with customers seeing a ctsv caddilac.

If I didn't absolutely need a truck I would have bought one. And still might

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lgIhtiKEfhu634k56ZiaELPPsC5bhBJAHuE2RDBdKfvTI2xHoByL0TUnhjgcv9nk