1 ... 7 8 9
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/30/17 8:37 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: The american needs better lines. Some of them sound like what an englishman thinks a nascar driver would say... Let the dude adlib...

I'm having a mental playback of when they did the 24 hr race, but with Skinner instead of the Stig. That could have been hilarious if they just let him act normal.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/30/17 8:39 a.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: The american needs better lines. Some of them sound like what an englishman thinks a nascar driver would say... Let the dude adlib...

So his lines need improving, but I think his racing lines are spot on, I honestly think he's better than the Stigs, the dud e can drive.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
1/30/17 9:00 a.m.

agreed to both of you.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/30/17 9:10 a.m.

I think Skinner was the stigs fat American cousin from the earlier top gear episodes when they were in the States.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/31/17 11:38 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: As good as anything they did a long time ago on a network far far away.

It's just not. I'll admit that the content, outside of the American and CBC, is finally about on part with some of the old shows. But still haven't shaken the more strongly scripted feeling that the latter seasons of TG had developed, which is most notably lacking in the amount of genuine (seemingly unscripted) reactions of the presenters to each other...Either that or their (re)acting skills have simply declined over time.

After watching the Africa special, I realized that it felt quite familiar. A little too familiar. So I went back and watched the Botswana special, from which it so obviously drew numerous inspirations, immediately after. Honestly, the entertainment value was on par with each other too, but that was also not the best special they did.

I'm glad that the second half of this season has given me hope that it will at least be something I continue to enjoying, as it (hopefully) continues to develop and grow into it's own stand-alone success outside of their TG history.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: ...but was sure we see a flash of tail or fin before the end.

And in probably one of the best moments of the season, due in no small part to its relative subtlety, they didn't disappoint.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: I wonder who was driving in the quarry section because it certainly wasn't them.

Why's that? In addition to spending time learning high performance track driving from Sir Jackie Stewart, James May received rally driving instruction from Mika Hakkinen on a single track road through the woods before competing in a Finnish rally race. And I thought Hammond had some proper racing experience himself. And most importantly of all, through the magic of cinematography, I have absolutely no doubt that the level of production that goes into these shows could make ME look like a world class driver out there.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/31/17 1:07 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: This week's episode is great. As good as anything they did a long time ago on a network far far away. Love the way Jeremy starts off the SUV segment as the straight man for a change. I'm really impressed with the Americans driving. He seems far more controlled in dampy tricky transitions than the Stig(s) ever were and his shtick is growing on me. Im was even looking forward to seeing what they dreamed up for the celeb brain crash but was sure we see a flash of tail or fin before the end. I wonder who was driving in the quarry section because it certainly wasn't them. A professional rally driver i guess. They never get tired of making German jokes do they. I thought there were only 12 episodes this season but the didn't finish it like it was the last one did they? Ive been searching for James' Blue squares jacket with no luck. If i can find it for less than $200 im getting one.

Im not sure about the driving, i have a tendency to believe that they're good, especially james may. I think he could have.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/17 1:18 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Value of the cars has zero impact. They are supplied by the manufacturers and unlike your average magazine article, the international audience these three get is so huge their is almost nothing they could do that would be bad advertising.

That's true. If a brand new car was a pile of crap and burst into flames sitting still I could be convinced it was on purpose.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
2/3/17 1:10 a.m.

Well they certainly finished on a strong* note...Far from where they started, yet closer than ever to where they began.

• Excluding CBC.
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
2/3/17 6:24 a.m.

A lot of good laughs in this one. Even CBC wasn't too bad. "Well, he's now ON the tent, rather than IN the tent, so that would be a 'No.'"

In a way, it's like how South Park used to kill Kenny every episode. You knew it was going to happen, it was just a question of how.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
2/3/17 11:03 a.m.

I will grant that May squeegeeing the window in the background later was probably the best CBC related bit yet.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
2/5/17 2:25 p.m.

Just watched the finale. No Redneck, yay. CBC again, boo. Any chance they've listened to feedback about both for next season?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
2/5/17 6:20 p.m.

The final episode was awesome, save for the somewhat dreary bit with winching. CBC had me actually laughing, and the bit at the end with drifting really helped capture why I love that particular form of motorsport. The first segment was really well done, was proof positive that you can still make an entertaining piece using "normal" cars, and showed that infrastructure just isn't quite there for most purely electric cars (especially as there isn't a universal charging standard). Overall, I think this first series of The Grand Tour was brilliant, and it's really approaching what I consider the high point for Top Gear Mark II (Series 13).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/13/17 2:03 p.m.

This seems to be the best place to post this. Great parody of the first episode intro.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wSTLaxhwJmM

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/13/17 2:09 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
stuart in mn wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I've watched a LOT of shows May and Hammond have done over the years. Good stuff.
Some of Clarkson's shows are also well worth a look, particularly the documentaries he's done on WWII subjects.
You're right. The three of them (and BBC in general) have some stellar shows. I've yet to see one that I didn't like Hammond even did a show aimed at kids, I watched it with my kids and liked it.

As much as I like May on the show, his shows are boring. He needs the other two. Hamster just looks like an eager kid in everything he does. Fun to watch.

All that being said the last episode wasn't that good (end of series in Dubai)

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
2/13/17 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

That was pretty good. Could have done without the fake 8mm effect

1 ... 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCoeZIwCoazyeNCu6vIj3jPlqhNYxJOpoq1BnS2qIVK7GKHZSpXsN2XFeH4jHusc