1 2
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/24/18 12:08 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Never did that.  Sounds like it should work brilliantly.

I think I would go more than finger tight (personally) to start but that's just me.  I guess it won't cure much in 10 minutes but one of the ways RTV works is because its flat and thin.  If it stays thick it won't handle the vibes very well.  Like for instance if you let it cure completely and then assemble, you'll just crush and tear the bead.

When you use RTV for the front and rear of intakes, so many people say to put the RTV on the block and wait for it to skin over before assembling.  I never understood that.  I want the RTV to be wet so it adheres to the intake.  Seems like letting it skin over would mean it never adheres to the intake.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/24/18 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Curtis :

Yea, the delay isn't to set it totally up.  But it adds some tension before the final tightening.  Kind of gives you both worlds of sticking to the surface and some very little stiffness.  

Give it a try some time - it would be interesting to hear others views of it.  Basically, the bead ran through the middle- and then looped around each of the bolt holes.  

And "finger tight" is with a tool, so it's not really a good name.  It's more fingers on your wrench instead of the gripping the tool....

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/24/18 1:29 p.m.

When I finished my freshly fabbed oil pan a few weeks ago, I actually read the instructions on the tube of RTV. Suprise, suprise.

Apply small bead (does not call for smearing, but I did).

Allow a few minutes for skin to begin forming.

Install with fasteners, lightly as mentioned by Alfa with tools but not more than just starting to feel some resistance.

Wait 24 hours to apply full torque.

This was done without a gasket and does not leak at that junction now...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QSw7IPoZ0IuImElXetFMTVasJlj1EbGsecE25RSwTS82M9tvAcXk1gHUbrohFVdg