1 2
Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/12/17 1:47 p.m.

How serious are the cars created by Dodge’s Street and Racing Technology division? Enough for buyers to receive a course at the Bondurant School for High Performance Driving with their purchase.

How serious is Dodge about SRT? Enough to provide the department with all the resources it needs to develop outrageously adept performance cars, including the required brainpower. The SRT …

Read the rest of the story

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/12/17 1:50 p.m.

Does anybody else recognize that drag strip?

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
10/12/17 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

Gainesville Raceway, home of the Gatornationalslaugh  And the $2017 Challenge!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/12/17 2:07 p.m.

I do recognize and then my first thought was, "I wonder if it will be there for The Challenge?"  

I further thought, "wouldn't it be fun if the General Tire Challenge went straight in a borrowed car rather than in circles!"  

Joe Gearin
10/12/17 2:36 p.m.

That indeed is Gainsville Raceway.  This was where the SRT engineers coaxed a 9.65  run out of a completely stock Demon.

While it's easy to  run low 10s in the Demon, getting into the 9s requires a delicate throttle foot--- as 840hp and 770 lb/ft will incinerate even sticky rubber very easily.  

Joe Gearin
10/12/17 3:28 p.m.

Here's a couple of other cool things about the Demon that due to space constraints didn't make the story.

* When the car is in "Drag" mode, the A/C is diverted from the cabin, directly into the intake charge.  This "Chiller" is claimed to add 10-15 hp.

* The Demon comes with a "Line Lock" for heating up the rear tires before a drag launch.  Although performing a brake torque is simple with that much power on hand

* By the time I attended the launch, three other waves of journalists had pounded on the cars. (both the widebody Hellcat Challenger  and the Demon)  I was allowed as many 1/4 mile runs in the Demon as I wanted...as were the others there.  No mechanical failure in any of the cars.  The Demons were actually let to idle the entire day--- as they waited for the next media-type to hop in.  No overheating, no smoke (beside the tires), no issues.

* The Demon shares spring rates with the 300C Sedan.  This,  along with it's generous sidewalls make for a stunningly comfortable ride on the street.  

* Both cars made me giggle like a schoolgirl laugh

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/12/17 4:54 p.m.

It's about the best thing to ever happen to a 9-year-old model before replacement, that's for sure!! I hope something equivalent happens to my human body when i turn 70..

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
10/12/17 5:00 p.m.

I am still waiting for SRT to make an attempt at something lightweight and attainable.  RWD preferred.

Wonder if they could do something with the Fiata?

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
10/12/17 6:08 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

I am still waiting for SRT to make an attempt at something lightweight and attainable.  RWD preferred.

Wonder if they could do something with the Fiata?

What could they really do? Try to Out-Fiata Flyin Miata?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/12/17 6:37 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Like a neon or calibur srt?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 6:40 p.m.

I wonder how they are to autocross. And no, "not good" isn't enough of a description. They don't have to win, just be fun. I like cars that are fun.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/17 6:55 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

Even if it's the perfect definition of a "point-and-shoot" car, it would still be a fast one between the corners. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 7:01 p.m.

I ask because the V wagon is a bundle of fun, while the R63 completely sucks. I enjoy autocrossing inappropriate cars as a rule, but I accept that there are some cars that probably aren't fun to toss around the cones. People run stock Civics at the drag strip, therefore someone should autocross a Demon. 

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/17 5:27 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

They did that with the Neon. Not RWD but definitely attainable.  

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
10/13/17 6:26 a.m.

Very cool that it exists. Dodge does performance very well but if something happens to sky rocket fuel prices FCA is going to be in a world of hurt. Maybe it doesn't matter anyway since it looks like Hyundai is interested in purchasing Jeep, RAM and the minivan platform. Not much left besides that. I have always been a Chrysler fan because my Dad was a Chrysler engineer but they sure don't prepare for the future well.

Joe Gearin
10/13/17 8:54 a.m.

I've autocrossed the 392 Version of the Challenger, and it was a hoot!  Judging by how well the Hellcat Widebody handled itself on the infield IMS course, I'd bet it would be a blast to autocross.  It would understeer at low speed, but with all that power,  oversteer is a foot-prod away. 

It was a blast on the roadcourse.  Tons of grip, not too much roll, decent steering, and a composed feel.  It's not as much of a handful as you'd think a car this heavy and powerful would be.  I'd stop short of calling it nimble......but not much.  Even the brakes seemed up to the  task of repeated track use.

The Hellcat widebody is big, heavy and ridiculous, but I can see it being a ton of fun, nearly everywhere you take it.  

Track day---- Heck yeah

Drag Strip--- Of course

Autocross--- sure, why not?

Drift event---- oh my! 

Open Road Race---  Sure it tops out at 195mph

Cruise-in event--- yep, star of the show

Fancy Pants Concours--- even the snooty crowd respects 707hp

I can appreciate those who don't appreciate the Hellcat Widebody, but there aren't many cars that can do so much, so well.  

Jere
Jere Dork
10/13/17 12:42 p.m.

I hope these sell well, it would make my year to come across one cheap enough to use as a locost donor wink

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
10/13/17 1:06 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I wonder how they are to autocross. And no, "not good" isn't enough of a description. They don't have to win, just be fun. I like cars that are fun.

It has 840hp there's no way it's not going to be fun

Joe Gearin
10/13/17 2:07 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:
mazdeuce said:

The Demon has 840hp, but I actually prefered the Hellcat Widebody.  The Demon is  a drag car you can daily drive.  The Hellcat Widebody is much  more versitile, if not quite as quick.   

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/13/17 4:28 p.m.

For poops and gigs, what is real world MPG? Is it like “plan your trips, you may not make it back from Walmart”, or is it “plan your trips, you won’t make it back from the beach”?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/13/17 4:44 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

I ask because the V wagon is a bundle of fun, while the R63 completely sucks. I enjoy autocrossing inappropriate cars as a rule, but I accept that there are some cars that probably aren't fun to toss around the cones. People run stock Civics at the drag strip, therefore someone should autocross a Demon. 

I expect the report on my desk by lunch. Get to work .

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/13/17 5:38 p.m.

Also, the churchy side of me wants them to change the name. The sinful side of me doesn’t mind. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/13/17 6:03 p.m.

I love he hellcat and the demon.  Glad we live in a time when cars like these exist.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 6:59 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

Also, the churchy side of me wants them to change the name. The sinful side of me doesn’t mind. 

I'm glad I only have one of those sides to steer me through the cones of life devil

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/17 7:16 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:
mazdeuce said:

Spoken like someone who never tried to drive an 840hp car.

On the street?  It sucks, after the first five minutes at best.

The phrase "never meet your heroes" has basis in fact indecision

(disclaimer:  have only ever driven two, maybe three, >840hp vehicles.  All forced induction so theoretically street friendly.  But you can't use the power, ever.  You can't use HALF the power, ever.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
erHEmvCGx1X24IoNkwPTSaYsPk4pkUqlXChtHDGmQC9pLO5fggn7FE2pKa1I0V9G