1 2 3 4
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 10:45 a.m.

So... we sold the MSM at the end of February. Ended up with this thing.

Modifications:
AMS built motor with ~20k miles on it
JE 9.0:1 pistons
Eagle rods
ARP hardware throughout
Ported and polished 99 BP4W head
Flyin' Miata Stage 1 clutch
Fidanza flywheel
Toyota COPs (Replaced with OEM Denso units less than 1000 miles ago)
Begi GT2554 kit (Manifold thermal coated)
Begi turbo heat shield
Begi Intercooler/piping kit
Begi "race" coolant re-route
FM 2.5" downpipe - Thermal coated
Enthuza 3" exhaust
RX8 yellow top injectors
M-Tuned fuel rail
Walbro 255hp pump
Megasquirt 2 Enhanced PNP (Brain Built). Sequential fuel, "gslender A/C idle up" circuitry/code.
Koyo 37mm radiator
AEM wideband
AEM water temp
AEM boost gauge (sending unit may be toast, currently running a cheap autometer) All AEM gauges are the silly expensive ones with stepper motor E36 M3s.
15x8 6ULs
Mazda Competition motor mounts
FM Powerslot rotors
Hawk pads
SS braided brake lines
SS braided clutch line

Interior
Pioneer headunit of some kind
Aftermarket speakers of some kind (headrest speakers work)
IL Motorsport center console (baller!)
Momo Competition wheel and hub
IL Motorsport chrome door handle cups (GROSS)

And some super fruity NB aftermarket rear wing thing.

The plan: Not sure. Drive for awhile, then probably sell it. Going to make some improvements in the meantime just to add to the enjoyment. (And find out in the meantime just how much power a 2554 Miata can actually make) Currently piecing together a budget Bilstein coilover setup, waiting on custom top hats to be made right now. Have a coolant re-route kit waiting to go on so i can get rid of the AWFUL and STUPIDLY designed BeGi Racer Re-route. Car needs some minor wiring work that i'll knock out soon. Going to wire up VICS to see what that does for me. Have a set of 205/50 Star Specs i'll throw at it. Car came with a brand new in box FM 3" dowpipe that i'll be installing at some point.

Soon it will receive: Hardtop (remove soft top forever), Boss Frog Clear View roll bar and harness bar, Boss Frog Frog Arms, Boundary Engineering Frame Rails, Autopower 5pt harnesses, and Corbeau A4s.

Already rebuilt the shifter, installed a 5X Racing bronzoil shifter bushing, replaced all fluids with Amsoil goodness, and removed the awful license plate bracket.

I'm going to warn you ahead of time and say that this might not be much of a build thread. I'm mainly using it as a daily driver right now as the MX6 is being resurrected. We're not planning on seriously racing it or setting any real goals for it. Just toying around with it to get a taste of what a "complete package" Miata is like.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UberDork
4/7/14 10:48 a.m.

You should let me know when it comes time to pass it on...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 10:51 a.m.

Sure! It'll be posted here.

I suppose i should mention here that it's making 12psi at the moment, more in the tank. Going to move to MS-controlled EBC at some point and see how stupid we can get the spool to be. i think this car has 250-260whp in it, and will probably be the hardest hitting 250-260whp ever.

wrongwheeldrive
wrongwheeldrive Reader
4/7/14 10:52 a.m.

Hmmm, all those future mods sound familiar... It's almost like I just looked at a car with all that stuff

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 10:55 a.m.
wrongwheeldrive wrote: Hmmm, all those future mods sound familiar... It's almost like I just looked at a car with all that stuff

Oh that's WEIRD!!

Did that car also happen to be red?

I think this particular car that this thread is about, at the longest, will hang around until good headway is being made on our other other Miata, which isn't a color that i hate.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
4/7/14 10:58 a.m.

Boy, that looks like fun. Do you have any issues with wheel hop on launch?

I'd love to do a track day with that.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 11:03 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Boy, that looks like fun. Do you have any issues with wheel hop on launch? I'd love to do a track day with that.

No, no issues with wheel hop. It spins the tires way too abruptly and violently to get a chance to hop. It's wearing some Toyo T1Rs right now, which are pretty much my least favorite tire ever.

I don't know exactly how much power it's making right now, but the T1Rs aren't dead, and it will still spin both rear tires when full boost hits in 3rd gear from a slow roll all the way to highway speeds. Not that i've verified this, of course.

I'm eyeballing a full poly bushing kit right now that includes the diff mounts. I'm somewhat tempted to move to the AWR 70a Duro motor mounts at the same time i do that job, as i'm really not a fan of the Mazda Competition mounts.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/7/14 11:17 a.m.

I like the red one, but that blue one looks AWESOME!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 11:33 a.m.

The blue one probably isn't going to look a whole lot like that when i'm through with it. It'll still be that color, though. (Honda Electron Blue Pearl.)

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/14 12:17 p.m.

Jeeze, when did you turn in your man card and get a fleet of NAs?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 12:24 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Jeeze, when did you turn in your man card and get a fleet of NAs?

Well... i picked up the blue car about a year ago. It's sitting in Yamaha's barn.

The red car was maybe 6 weeks ago. I think i'm ok... only ever had two NAs, so my manhood should still be intact. Both are/were/will be again turbo as well, so i'm good.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/14 12:27 p.m.

I'm turning mine in in two weeks, so I can't really fault you.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/7/14 12:38 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

The 320i returned to storage at my place.....the first thing it did was emit a gay slur promptly followed by "Heil" something. So now, with 2 BMW's out there constantly downing that NA, you'll be lucky if it has the self confidence to ever run again....

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
4/7/14 12:41 p.m.

I can haz moar info on the wheel/tire/flare package on the blue car plz? What are your F/R ride heights? Did you roll the fenders under those flares?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
4/7/14 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Out of those three, I think it only has the flares on it now......

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 1:14 p.m.
Duke wrote: I can haz moar info on the wheel/tire/flare package on the blue car plz? What are your F/R ride heights? Did you roll the fenders under those flares?

The flares are Autokonexion V..... 1s i think. The bigger ones.

Wheels were some XXR swagtastic 15x8.25s of some sort, 0 offset. Tires were 205/50s.

Body was cut out under the flares. There was no rubbing at that ride height (which was too low). I'd figure ride height probably 11" rear, slightly lower front.

That car will probably end up wearing 15x10 and some hand grooved Maxxis Victras in 245/40-15 full time. I'm not planning on keeping those flares. No rules = all the insane.

Car had a built turbo 1.6 in it at time of that picture. Pretty much gave that crap away.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/14 1:18 p.m.

That thing will be a wicked fast street car! Got any video of a flat speed run on a 'closed course'?

If you track it, make sure to get iconel studs and stage 8 bolts for the exhaust manifold to turbo joint. Is the exhaust manifold the steel header one or the cast iron mani?

That koyo should keep it plenty cool.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 1:26 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: That thing will be a wicked fast street car! Got any video of a flat speed run on a 'closed course'? If you track it, make sure to get iconel studs and stage 8 bolts for the exhaust manifold to turbo joint. Is the exhaust manifold the steel header one or the cast iron mani? That koyo should keep it plenty cool.

Don't have any good video yet. Soon-ish maybe.

I doubt this will see track work at any point, but i think i have an iconel stud set hanging around from the MSM, and the Stage 8 locknut set is cheap.

I have to take the turbo and manifold off to have the flanges straightened at the machine shop, got a slight leak. Will probably throw in iconels and some nice nuts of some sort at the same time. Suppose that would be a good time to put on the 3" downpipe.

The Koyo should work fine, yes. The whole setup right now is actually working TOO well, because of the garbage Racer Re-route. Damn thing struggles to hit over 150F on the highway. New correct re-route should fix it.

For whatever it's worth, i'm pretty sure it makes less power than the MSM did, but it's definitely a lighter car and just generally not as planted so it feels nuts.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/7/14 5:07 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I suppose i should mention here that it's making 12psi at the moment, more in the tank. Going to move to MS-controlled EBC at some point and see how stupid we can get the spool to be. i think this car has 250-260whp in it, and will probably be the hardest hitting 250-260whp ever.

260 would be a VERY good number for a 2554. My 2560-equipped car (similar engine specs, built BP4W, full 3 inch exhaust) is basically tapped out on the turbo at 270 on a Dynapack.

beans
beans Dork
4/7/14 5:49 p.m.

I know the MSM was pretty much a headache, but you sold the MSM for a built, turbo N/A because it seems like it's already done? I love car guy logic lol. Nice pick up.

Also, I looked at two dyno graph's today. The one from you car, and this car that has a fairly tame build on an F22a/F23 non-Vtec. It's hilarious how similar the graphs are. 2.3L N/A vs 1.8L GT2554.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 6:36 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I suppose i should mention here that it's making 12psi at the moment, more in the tank. Going to move to MS-controlled EBC at some point and see how stupid we can get the spool to be. i think this car has 250-260whp in it, and will probably be the hardest hitting 250-260whp ever.
260 would be a VERY good number for a 2554. My 2560-equipped car (similar engine specs, built BP4W, full 3 inch exhaust) is basically tapped out on the turbo at 270 on a Dynapack.

I'm gonna run it to 16psi, maybe spike to 20ish in midrange. Basically... ALLOFIT.

Good thing 2560s are cheap, or I may throw a 2871 at it if I get bored.

Who knows.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 6:37 p.m.

In reply to beans:

I sorted out the MSM to completion. Was no longer a pain in the ass.

It just... didn't click. Beautiful car, looked better than this one, but this oneis more fun already.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
4/7/14 9:32 p.m.

Weird,I don't like red cars either yet this followed me home late last fall.Pretty much the same in the looks department but well below your power level with its M45 set-up.

[URL=http://s117.photobucket.com/user/kevlarcorolla/media/miatapics006.jpg.html][/URL]

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/7/14 10:57 p.m.

Hah! I've been thinking about taking the GV lip off the blue car and putting it on the red car, too!

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/14 3:22 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'm gonna run it to 16psi, maybe spike to 20ish in midrange. Basically... ALLOFIT.

Once you hit the flow limit on the compressor, adding more boost is just adding heat, not more oxygen molecules. Garrett rates the 2554 as flowing enough air for 270 (crank) hp.

Still, the 230-240 that seems to be where most people top out with a 2554 is a lot of fun. :)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2zEMxIs9fxop5fWsrmpzs2KdDN5mUh1q9Cwr9nxu5V194nyA2VOjEjtrrztuj5vn