1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/30/15 10:28 p.m.

I keep coming back to this thread.

Cheers good buddy. Made this stuff myself, mostly with things I grabbed out of my back yard. Doesn't taste good at all but it tickles the brain like you wouldn't believe. Sure do wish I could have shared it with ya, I get the feeling this is the sort of thing youd've dug.

damn, just berkeleying damn.

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
10/30/15 10:39 p.m.

I always enjoyed his posts. RIP Curmudgeon.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
10/30/15 10:58 p.m.

I never met him but the news has been sort of gnawing at me the last couple days.

Tonight I had the pleasure of seeing John Cleese and Eric Idle.

Curmudgeon seemed like a man of good humor and these songs took special meaning tonight

Godspeed

Bright Side

Life Will Get you

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
10/31/15 12:10 a.m.

Weird. Terrible, sad and just strange. People on this board are supposed to be immortal.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
10/31/15 8:11 a.m.

Never met the man or had a personal conversation w/ him off the board but only through interaction here did one realize what a contributor, asset and character he was to the GRM community. Thinking back, when I was a newbie he fast became one of the most recognizable names. Sad times. God bless you sir.

eastpark
eastpark Reader
10/31/15 9:09 a.m.

Very sad news. Like so many others have wrote, I always felt like I knew him without ever meeting him. I guess that's the what makes this community so special to all of us.

Rest in peace.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/31/15 10:25 a.m.

Curmudgeon MegaDork Sept. 1, 2013 5:50 p.m. I was gonna say treat it gently, but this will do as well.

I went back and looked he basically allways commented on our builds RIP My friend

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
10/31/15 10:57 a.m.
LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
10/31/15 12:14 p.m.

Saddened by this news, Only got to meet him a few times at the race track and only in passing. I wish I had taken the time to know him better, I really missed out. God speed on your journey we will miss you.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/31/15 1:11 p.m.

Nixon, I think you nailed it. The whole situation is sad, ironic, absurd, and ridiculous. My heartfelt condolences to Curmudgeon's family.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/31/15 1:43 p.m.

How did I miss this. I met mike on many occasions. When I was moving to South Carolina he helped guide my house search and I turned a wrench on the abomination. I had dinner with him many times, watched fireworks with him.. Went to sandblast rally..

He will be missed and remebered as the kind man that he was...

can't really type more now.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
10/31/15 3:05 p.m.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Gary
Gary Dork
10/31/15 4:18 p.m.

I've been away from the forum for a few days. When I saw this today I was deeply saddened. Curmudgeon was indeed a great forum friend to those of us who never met him personally. He had a strong presence here, and from what I saw, his posts were always above-board, and he had a great sense of humor as well. The forum is lessened because of the loss. He will definitely be missed. RIP Curmudgeon.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/31/15 6:26 p.m.

Oh no no no no no

Miss this guy like crazy. One of the best for sure. At least he's resting happily now.

carzan
carzan Dork
11/1/15 12:02 a.m.

From the "I'm In A Damn Good Mood" Thread:

Curmudgeon Megadork..................................Sept. 13, 2013 11:24 a.m.

"Yessir, vertical and breathing. Gainfully employed. Kid and I are both in good health. Get to go to LeMons next weekend. There's cold beer in the fridge.

Yep, life is okay. "

Life can change so quickly.

Add me to the list of those who had never met him, but have the greatest respect for him and very much enjoyed reading his posts. This forum will not be the same without him. We've lost a good one.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
11/1/15 2:23 a.m.

Weird thing for me was that I 'met' him here first. Saw the Jensen at the Dragon. Said, "Hey, are you on the GRM forums?" RIP. Here's a run up the hill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5kiuQIEDyA

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/1/15 7:07 a.m.

at his request … I've linked this thread to his brother … he's asked me to keep everyone up to date as to arrangements …

where would it be most accessible ?

on this thread, or should I start a separate thread when I have more info ?

seems the latter would be easier to find … let me know guys

edit: for those that noticed … stupid fat fingers, lack of spelling ability, lack of proof reading ability, stupid autocorrect … and any other places I can place the blame … LOL… thanks David

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/1/15 10:49 a.m.

latest from his brother … looks like next Sat …

Because there will be two services, one with the camp fire like mentioned below from his papers, I just don't know what number to plan on. Some would be only at the camp fire, I assume.

Still, if we could get some idea of a number, that would be great, even if it's not exact?

He says in the last part of his cover letter, and I think you will agree that this sounds like Mike:

"Let's not have a big gathering of sad sacks either. You want to remember me? Blow some of my money, invite my racing buddies and members of the Family Riders down in Charleston, have a kegger and cookout then tell lies around a campfire. Some of the best times of y life have been spent in exactly that kind of setting. Allen Murray can scare up some SCCA guys and Robert Wilcox the Family Riders. Warning: About half of what these guys will say about me is a pack of lies, particularly anything you hear from Mike Jones. grin emoticon Love and all my best, Mike"

So, I cannot scare these people up, and I don't want to invite just everyone on his FB page, or from his phone, since I don't know who the "good guys" are.

I am asking from you to try to get a potential head count for Saturday, sometime mid day to allow for driving time, and I want to be invited to this campfire and kegger too, as possibly my two brothers might would like to attend.

If you come only, and then rest of Mike's request is at a campfire, that is fine.

We are renting a local hall so that Mike's family may have some closure. Seems he left us out of his plans! So we are making some for the family, and would like the racers and other friends to be there as well.

Thank you again, Mac

his phone # and email was in there … if any of you need to contact him let me know and I'll get you the info

toyman … can/will you take it from here … I'm here to help anyway I can, but really don't know most of the miscreants that would be part of this

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
11/1/15 1:45 p.m.

Very sad news to hear. His posts were always great and he always had a great bit of advice for anyone asking questions. Condolences to his family and friends.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/15 1:50 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Melanie and Keith are have gotten together to help out with the details. There is a post on the SCR-SCCA Solo facebook page about next weekend. SCR has a combine autocross Saturday with Buccaneer region at Roebling Road, so it looks like Sunday afternoon is a pretty good possibility. Melanie or I will post here as information is available.

Link to the FB page for the interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/scrsolo/

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
11/1/15 2:24 p.m.

This thread is a great tribute and more evidence that this forum is a family. It's evidence that good people are remembered and that they are appreciated. It's evidence that this man led a good life, and was loved, and at the end, what more can we wish for someone?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/1/15 4:27 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to wbjones: Melanie and Keith are have gotten together to help out with the details. There is a post on the SCR-SCCA Solo facebook page about next weekend. SCR has a combine autocross Saturday with Buccaneer region at Roebling Road, so it looks like Sunday afternoon is a pretty good possibility. Melanie or I will post here as information is available. Link to the FB page for the interested. https://www.facebook.com/groups/scrsolo/

thanks … while I knew Mike pretty well, other than you, there aren't many of his racing comrades that I know … especially the Lemons team mates

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/15 7:55 p.m.

Went away for a couple weeks and THIS IS THE NEWS I SEE WHEN I COME BACK?

$hit. Rest well, friend. Thank you for all the help you have given me.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
11/2/15 8:31 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

I feel you. I haven't been on the board in MONTHS and randomly looked just now.

I am crying. Mike was one of those truly solid motherberkeleyers who always had a smile on his face, and would always scour his own gear, or the rest of the pits, to find the part or tool you needed.

When I describe what the racing community/family is all about to non-racers, I tell them about the time we were thrashing on our Lemons CRX late into the evening/morning.

We were exhausted, starving, starting to get a little annoyed with each other, when Mike (and Toyman) showed up, each holding a handle of a ginormous pot of Frogmore Stew, Mike suggesting "Why don't you boys take a break and EAT!"

It was EXACTLY what we needed WHEN we needed it. Gave us the second wind we needed to get it done.

He will be missed. He was TRULY "One of us;" a GRM'er and a Hong.

Rest in peace, brother.

Reds1972
Reds1972 New Reader
11/2/15 10:15 a.m.

Mike was a great friend and coworker. He helped me several times while building my 72 spitfire.. he will be missed.. my condolences to the family..

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TP2wNxkWcMrI4Ad46cFbYculSc93km1C72O3yGDHTajVXMIFH1QhV8xGA4BoHhDF