oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
11/3/15 10:59 a.m.

way too many tears......

ETR people.... ETR

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/3/15 11:46 a.m.

The scary part for me is that Mike was almost exactly the same age as I am. This sort of thing happens far too often.

RIP, Mike.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/3/15 1:10 p.m.

if any GRM'ers can make it … a service is planned for Sat

3pm Saturday 2100 bush river road. Columbia, SC

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/3/15 6:26 p.m.

bump …

this is at a Double Tree Inn … exit 63 I 20 south of I 26

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/3/15 7:01 p.m.
wbjones wrote: bump … this is at a Double Tree Inn … exit 63 I 20 south of I 26

It's a small world. My wife's old house used to be the parking lot of that hotel. Her father made out like a bandit on that one.

I can't make it Saturday. Y'all raise a glass for me.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/15 8:12 p.m.

I'll be there. My wife as well if she can find a sub for the wedding she is supposed to officiate.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
11/3/15 8:45 p.m.

It is just too far, I wish I could get there

Toyman01
11/3/15 9:48 p.m.

There has been some talk about doing a "campfire" at Carolina Motorsports Park, because Mike wanted his ashes spread at a track. That will possibly happen Easter weekend next March during the Buck Muse SCCA club race or at the Lemons race in May. If that happens, it should be a huge party, full of racers. Much remembering, bench racing, BSing and trash talk will ensue. There is a better than fair possibility of it lasting into the wee hours of the morning and a good bit of alcohol being recycled. Mike was pretty clear he didn't want a bunch of people moping around crying in their beers. If the family decided to do otherwise, we might just hold a party in his honor anyways.

As that evolves I'll post up here to keep y'all in the loop.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/4/15 9:51 a.m.

thanks Allen

WilD
WilD HalfDork
11/4/15 10:27 a.m.

His posts were a big part of this online community, and reading the recollections and tributes here are choking me up a little bit even though I did not know him personally. He will be missed even among those of us who are technically strangers.

Toymanswife
Toymanswife New Reader
11/4/15 10:46 a.m.

Mike Smith obituary Michael Woodward Smith Obituary Michael Woodward Smith COLUMBIA - Michael Woodward Smith, 57 passed away at his residence on Thursday, October 29, 2015. Despite battling bladder cancer for the last 16 months, Mike never lost his sense of humor and refused to take it lying down. He fought hard and was a wonderful father to his only daughter, Carly, while continuing his passion for racing and helping out his racing buddies. He had a genuine desire to help anyone in need. Mike was a well known and respected member of SCCA and a regular at many racing events. He drove the 24 hours of LeMons several times, frequented SCCA sanctioned Autocrosses and just last month, drove his Jensen Healey at the Dragon Hill Climb in North Carolina. Mike's wishes were to be cremated and have his ashes spread across a race track. Those who knew him, know that this is a perfect tribute to his wonderful spirit. Mike was preceded in death by his father, McQueen Smith, and is survived by his only daughter, Carly, his mother, Mary Eva Wells (Gene), and brothers, Rod (Myrna), Mac and Mark (Melody). A private family ceremony will be held at 3 p.m. followed by a Celebration of Life from 4-6 p.m. on Saturday, November 7th at the DoubleTree Inn on Bush River Road. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to any TD Bank (designated "for Joseph Rodney Smith, special account Carly Smith").

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/15 10:47 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: It is just too far, I wish I could get there

I am in the same boat.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
11/4/15 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Toymanswife: Thank you

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
11/4/15 12:33 p.m.

Is there an online Guest Book one may sign? ... and maybe offer condolences to the family.

Toyman01
11/4/15 12:40 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Is there an online Guest Book one may sign? ... and maybe offer condolences to the family.

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/thestate/michael-woodward-smith-condolences/176332072?cid=full

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/4/15 8:39 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
fasted58 wrote: Is there an online Guest Book one may sign? ... and maybe offer condolences to the family.
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/thestate/michael-woodward-smith-condolences/176332072?cid=full

Signed. I know this thread has been shared with members of his family, but that felt a bit more "personal". Thanks.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
11/4/15 8:56 p.m.

This really brings a tear to my eye.

Luke
Luke UberDork
11/5/15 4:21 a.m.

Not posted on here in ages, but glad this thread didn't slip me by. I feel like I knew Curmudgeon (Mike) a lot better than a fellow internet-forum-poster relationship would imply.

RIP, Mike.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
11/5/15 3:21 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: There has been some talk about doing a "campfire" at Carolina Motorsports Park, because Mike wanted his ashes spread at a track. That will possibly happen Easter weekend next March during the Buck Muse SCCA club race or at the Lemons race in May.

If y'all do it at the lemons race I will absolutely be there for the campfire

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/5/15 3:28 p.m.

for now the plan is for doing it at the Buck Muze Memorial in Mar … Toyman will keep up up to date

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
11/6/15 6:40 p.m.
wbjones wrote: if any GRM'ers can make it … a service is planned for Sat 3pm Saturday 2100 bush river road. Columbia, SC

Walter / toy man - you guys mentioned 3:00. The obituary says family at 3:00, public at 4:00. I'm going to drive over, but which am I aiming at?

Toyman01
11/6/15 7:48 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave:

4:00 is when I'm planning to be there.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YZQuUEyOvVFfHHeHMPzV4xbiUanYBtyJtpmhTMEWkWAPOsoaAA30yIS4pKWVjNlH