1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/11/15 1:29 p.m.

One of the big concerns I've had with buying myself a "nice" car is that I've got 3 kids, two of which are boys. They play football and lacrosse. I can't count the number of times they've gotten into my HHR covered in good 'ol Georgia clay and mud. Do my best to avoid it, but it happens. The rear carpet in my car right now is really dirty.

Does anyone have WeatherTech floor liners or floor mats? Are they worth the extra money over what the PepBoys of the world carry? If you have WeatherTech, did you get the floor mats or liners? Also plan to get an old bedsheet to throw over the backseat for those days I pick them up from a muddy day of practice.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/15 1:45 p.m.

I think they are. Both of our DDs have them, though the truck only has the fronts. My wife's car gets trashed since it's the Mom-mobile. Mud, slush, salt, etc. I was doing the spring cleaning on it a couple of years ago, and after an hour of scrubbing caked-on salt out of the carpet, I decided to get some. The liners, not the mats. I don't think the mats are really worth it, though they are at least custom cut to fit the car. But the ability to remove them and hose them out is huge, IMO.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/11/15 1:48 p.m.

bE CAREFUL. In some cases they send the generic cut-2-fit ones as they don't have every make or model. Ran into that last christmas for the wife. In my experience, if the OEM's offer them, they'll usually be cheaper online than the WT's.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
12/11/15 1:49 p.m.

I have the floor mats, and they're great. They do a real good job of catching all the slush and salt in Minnesota, I assume they'd do the same for Georgia mud.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
12/11/15 1:50 p.m.

I got a similar product from a company called Husky for my new car. Very nice. They were less expensive than weathertech, and made in the USA(also?)

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/15 1:57 p.m.

Weathertech is made in the USA and very supportive of the racing community.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
12/11/15 2:08 p.m.

I splurged on the WT for my e46 and love them. I just bought the front set and it was still $100+. They are going in to my replacement e46 now.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
12/11/15 2:10 p.m.

Yup. My dad has them in his truck and they're fantastic. If they were available for my DD I have a set as well.

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
12/11/15 2:20 p.m.

Yes yes yes, pull them hose um down vacuum around the edges all done. Same here 2 football and lacrosse players used to deal with mud then the league upgraded to turf fields, now I deal with little rubber pellets everywhere. Both dd have um.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/11/15 2:23 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

I had Husky Liners in my 2002 WRX. They were fantastic. And they were $40+ cheaper than the equivalent Weathertech ones. Also I have an issue with destroying floor mats with my feet. The Husky Liners were the only floor mats I've ever had that didn't get a hole in them.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/11/15 2:25 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Weathertech is made in the USA and very supportive of the racing community.

Only goes so far when they don't have them for your application

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/11/15 2:28 p.m.
mbmsg wrote: Same here 2 football and lacrosse players used to deal with mud then the league upgraded to turf fields, now I deal with little rubber pellets everywhere.

I get the best of both worlds. Our home field is turf, and brand spanking new turf. So I get tons of rubber pellets that stick to everything. Practice fields and many away game fields are grass, well mud with a thin layer of "grass" on top.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/15 2:29 p.m.

I love the Weathertech floor liners that I have in my Tacoma. They are absolutely worth it. But the last two times that I've tried to order a set (Miata and BMW Z3), I was told that they were not available. So check availability before you get too excited.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
12/11/15 2:35 p.m.

I love love love them in my Mazda6. So long as I live anywhere with significant snow or dirt (and they're available), I'll get a set of weathertech liners.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/15 2:48 p.m.

I've had both WeatherTechs and Husky's and like both. I'm running front and rear Husky liners in the RAV4, and WeatherTech liners front and rear in the ATS and the Odyssey. I even had the WeatherTech cargo mat in the Odyssey when we weren't using the 3rd row. The quality of both is excellent, and when the WeatherTech liners in the ATS didn't fit correctly (they were catching on the lower part of the seat), they sent out a new pair that worked well after we tried their initial troubleshooting steps.

Both have done a good job of saving our carpets and keeping the messes (and spills) contained. One thing I would recommend is to do some research on a vehicle-specific forum, as sometimes particular brands are better/worse in a certain application.

jere
jere HalfDork
12/11/15 2:58 p.m.

Looks like that brand is all over ebay for the hhr if they are sold out.

I use the cheapest floor mats i can get $10 for all 4 (tops) from big lots or dollar tree. To keep the mats in place i spray the underside of the mats down with craft bond and let dry. This usually keeps everything clean enough if not then i break out the pressure washer...

If the carpet underneath the mats is bad enough, the seats get un bolted, the carpet is pulled out and pressure washed. It just has to be a hot day or a 3day weekend to ensure the carpet is fully dried. Stains get presoaked with dawn soap. it is a lot of work so maybe the weather tech is worth the money over the time/work to some.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/15 3:11 p.m.

I bought them after I ordered our new CX-5 a couple years ago. Awesome US-based product. Totally worth it, especially for the mouse-fur-glued-onto-cardboard 'carpet' in the Mazda.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
12/11/15 3:17 p.m.

Used WeatherTech in a number of vehicles for years. But the last set I got for the Transit Connect were junk. Rather thin and flimsy and did not fit well. In addition this set did not have provision to fasten them down using the factory connectors in the TC.

Ended up sending them back for a refund. Wish they would still make the like the ones I had in my 91 Explorer: 1/4" thick fiberglass. Absolutely did not move and wore like iron.

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
12/11/15 5:09 p.m.
Hal wrote: 1/4" thick fiberglass. Absolutely did not move and wore like iron.

You had a boat on your floor?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/15 6:01 p.m.

I'm another Weathertech fan. Once I spilled about a pint of soda onto one, and it countained the entire spill. Would have been a nasty mess without it. Not to mention all the day-to-day crap it swallows up.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
12/11/15 6:19 p.m.

I kinda hate the floor liners, but I love the rubber mats. In every car I have tried to use the floor liners they have moved enough that they eventually stop fittings flush against the sides and then they act as a funnel to channel everything down between them and the carpet. On my Mirage the drivers side one actually stops halfway up the "dead pedal" spot to the left of the clutch and acts like a shoe cleaner scraping whatever is on the bottom of the shoe right underneath it. The passenger's side one also knocks the ac drain hose off if it moves at all, which then lets the condensation drain on to the carpet under the mat.

Their rubber mats are great, but they usually don't have provisions for fastening down the passenger's side one and my wife will eventually get it shoved up under the dash. Due to their design the only way to fasten it down is to put a hole in it and take away a lot of their advantage.

I yell at my wife all the time to pay more attention and quit moving the floor mats around but it would have made a lot more sense to just build in some way to keep them in place.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
12/11/15 6:31 p.m.

I've had two sets of WT mats. I loved both of them. I currently have a set in the front and back on my Jeep Wrangler and they are awesome.

I like that they catch big stuff like chunks of leaves, mud, and rocks, but also catch small pieces of sand too.

If they made them for my wife's car we'd have another set, but they don't.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
12/11/15 6:57 p.m.

Another vote for the WT floor liners. They work great for kids and the inevitable spills that occur.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/11/15 7:29 p.m.

I just picked up a new to me car last night and it had one in the trunk. I have to say I am impressed, its a quality product.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/11/15 8:54 p.m.

We have the floor liners and in the past we had the rear cargo liner. They are awesome. Worth the money provided, like others have stated, that they offer for your vehicle.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sDTGRxYAduC6fPhYPjuLAcT6fL0OMEhjVUUfpZ8w312wobxqjTSPYUyRmUiaaJS0