1 2
car39
car39 Dork
3/21/23 5:52 p.m.

My two 95 NA's were weird with shift knobs.  If I didn't have a weighted knob, the shifter would buzz like crazy after, and only after a track event.  Normal driving, no noise, go beat on them all day, buzz all the way home.  Crazy.

toconn
toconn New Reader
3/21/23 8:06 p.m.

I'm not a fan of metal shift knobs myself. The weight is nice and they look great, but they feel hot in the summer and cold in the winter. 

My preference is weighted Delrin knobs. They don't have to 1+ lb'ers, just something heavier than plain delrin. I like a round ball over any other shapes. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/22/23 12:29 p.m.

Kamei rubber knob, a timeless classic?

Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs Reader
3/23/23 2:44 p.m.
toconn said:

I'm not a fan of metal shift knobs myself. The weight is nice and they look great, but they feel hot in the summer and cold in the winter. 

My preference is weighted Delrin knobs. They don't have to 1+ lb'ers, just something heavier than plain delrin. I like a round ball over any other shapes. 

In my experience, the material the knob is made of doesn't make a whole lot of difference in temperature...unless its cloth of some type its always hot in the summer and cold in the winter until climate control kicks in(even if that climate control just means rolling down the windows). Even my leather wrapped knob in the daily driver is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. That being said....some materials do take longer to shift temperature(IE, steel/stone is slow to change temp)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/23/23 3:11 p.m.

Pistol Grip shift knob > *

We run a generic derlin knob in the Champcar. 

My S2000 has a 9th gen Civic Si knob because it's partially leather and doesn't roast my hand off like the CR knob prior did. Even covering it with a microfiber throughout the day and having a window shade up, that thing would still be burning hot after a day in the Florida sun. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/23/23 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Wicked93gs :

Oh, they all get hot, but the metal knob does a lot better job of the instant heat transfer to your skin when you touch it. Think of it like a branding iron.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/23/23 5:32 p.m.

Weighted all the way. I have a Voodoo in the Miata even if it is molten lava on a sunny day. I keep an old sock (clean) in the car when I know it will be sitting in the sun. Slide it over and it's a perfect cover for not getting 3rd degree burns. Of course on cooler/cold days it feels good to have a nice warm shift knob to grab on to.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 5:59 p.m.

Turns out the OEM knob has some heft to it. The new one is about the same weight.

Done is done. Thanks for the input. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZjIdL34X30rXUummPhG0hvmemhIJGu36e6LjwNRNg2E676F06pOreLYCEmg1tpBk