lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
10/4/14 11:45 a.m.

My sister just turned 16, so last night my dad sent me a CL link for a 93? with 94k on the clock. They were asking for 2900, but I figured if its in good shape, drive it for 2-3 years and sell it for what you paid for. they aren't exactly losing their value. The car has a new top, new exhaust, and looked in decent shape, so at 730 this morning we make the 90 minute trek to check it out. Keep in mind, the owner is in FL, wife is showing the car.

We get there, and its not exactly the cleanest. leaky valve cover gasket, pcv, weird exhaust rattle, slow windshield wipers, spot of rust, and generally unmaintained. The test drive lasts about 20ft. He hits the break, and both of us burst out laughing with the sounds of being inside an aquarium. We instantly turn around. At that point, I'm checked out so I go sit in the truck while he talks to the husband on the phone to let him know what a piece he has on his hands.

10 minutes later, my dad wants to do an actual test drive. Bad brakes, weird suspension clunking, horrible exhaust rattles. It shifted fine, engine ran fine though, but sure as hell not a 2900 car. I told him I'd play at 1200, but that's it.

We arrive back to the wife talking to her husband on the phone. She asks for an offer, but not wanting to be insulting, we decline. "oh come on, any offer what do you think?" Well 1200 is what we were talking about. "JERRY, I'm sick of this damn car! I'm selling it now for 1200. Already shook hands! bye!"

and off we went, in literally the slushbox.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/4/14 12:08 p.m.

It looks good...

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
10/4/14 12:12 p.m.

Nice. I bet with some sweat equity on your family's part, you'll more than double your money.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
10/4/14 12:12 p.m.

Nice! That's how ya do it!

And thumbs up for not having to act like Richard Rawlings and go all Gas Monkey on 'em!

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
10/4/14 12:16 p.m.

Hey! Everyone needs a project!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/4/14 12:39 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote: The test drive lasts about 20ft. He hits the break, and both of us burst out laughing with the sounds of being inside an aquarium. ...and off we went, in literally the slushbox.

I have no idea what the sentence above means. What is the reference to aquarium? Is the car or trunk filled with water?
Seems that "aquarium" was the reason for the car being cheap but I have no idea what this "aquarium" sound is.

Which part made this the weirdest?
The wife and the quick price drop?
The "aquarium" ?
Something else?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/4/14 12:41 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

aquarium... sounds fishy to me

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
10/4/14 12:46 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
lnlogauge wrote: The test drive lasts about 20ft. He hits the break, and both of us burst out laughing with the sounds of being inside an aquarium.
I have no idea what the sentence above means. What is the reference to aquarium? Is the car or trunk filled with water? Seems that "aquarium" was the reason for the car being cheap but I have no idea what this "aquarium" sound is.

There were many, many reasons for the car being so cheap. The aquarium noise was the sound of gallons of water floating around the door sills. the drain holes were clogged.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/14 1:41 p.m.

Easy fix at least, and it's a 1993.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/14 2:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Easy fix at least, and it's a 1993.

And not berkeleying red!

Good buy!

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
10/4/14 3:33 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote:
lnlogauge wrote: The test drive lasts about 20ft. He hits the break, and both of us burst out laughing with the sounds of being inside an aquarium.
I have no idea what the sentence above means. What is the reference to aquarium? Is the car or trunk filled with water? Seems that "aquarium" was the reason for the car being cheap but I have no idea what this "aquarium" sound is.
There were many, many reasons for the car being so cheap. The aquarium noise was the sound of gallons of water floating around the door sills. the drain holes were clogged.

Oh man. Rust from the inside?

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
10/4/14 3:44 p.m.

I like it. Wish I could get one as well. Would be fun to work on so long as there wasn't huge body problems.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
10/4/14 4:13 p.m.

Dad had the same on his NA- as said above, it's the sills- that's where the top drains for those not in the fold. Needs the holes behind the doors cleared, and shouldn't be a big deal. No idea if all galvanized, or whether it needs internal anti-rust treatment, but I'd assume, as a factory "feature", it would be sorted.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
10/4/14 6:55 p.m.

Maybe hitting the breaks is what causes the aquarium sound.

Our Preferred Partners
vqzxlxNaFNU5WlqEHoNhVfxboR50wOy3ebAComgxH4dgI4yVQr7cCj5DXVdFEBA3