1 2
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/09 6:01 p.m.

All this box flare talk has me thinking flares - but not the box kind. Does anyone make flares which could be cut and blended to match a variety of cars? Fiberglass would work too, but I like steel...

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
8/25/09 7:05 p.m.

Dodge Omni.

M030
M030 Reader
8/25/09 7:21 p.m.

Maybe Porsche 911 Turbo style flares. They are reproduced in steel and could possibly be adapted to anything with flat sides...in theory

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
8/25/09 8:03 p.m.

to add on, how do you get fiberglass to stick to metal? the answer will severely sway my decision on a very near future purchase...

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/09 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Rusty_Rabbit84:

I'm no expert, but I've had good results with marine grade epoxy adhering to steel.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
8/25/09 8:13 p.m.
Rusty_Rabbit84 wrote: to add on, how do you get fiberglass to stick to metal? the answer will severely sway my decision on a very near future purchase...

Rivets and body filler.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Dork
8/25/09 8:17 p.m.

right on guys! I appreciate it...

porksboy
porksboy Dork
8/25/09 8:27 p.m.

Boddy filler and news paper

oldtin
oldtin New Reader
8/25/09 9:35 p.m.

rivets - evercoat has a fairly new kevlar filler that I'm hoping works good on the transition - but newspaper's good too

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/09 7:09 a.m.

Spray foam, electric knife, cheese grater and fiberglass.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
8/26/09 7:31 a.m.

Cucumber, duct tape, and a swiss army knife..... oh sorry I thought this was a MacGyver thread.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/09 8:44 a.m.

With regard to the flare question: Dodge Omni and VW Rabbit ones both work pretty well. I'm using the latter on my MG.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/26/09 8:46 a.m.

Dont the hondas with neon lights put Z3 flares on them?

skruffy
skruffy Dork
8/26/09 8:52 a.m.

914-6 flares are available in steel and pretty flat, albeit sort of odd looking. I'm sure they'd easily fit anything as slab-sided as a 914 lolz.

These are fiberglass but look like they could be easily cut to fit a bunch of other stuff. Used to be popular with z-car guys.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
8/26/09 8:59 a.m.
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/09 9:00 a.m.

I've been wanting to hot up one of these: But haven't seen a good flare execution yet.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/09 10:23 a.m.

I think you're supposed to tub those, not flare them.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/26/09 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Keith:

That's what's commonly done, but why be a copycat?

Here's a good flare execution on an older car:

orphancars
orphancars New Reader
8/26/09 3:01 p.m.

For my project, I found that AWR makes a flare set for the Miata that was almost a direct fit for the TVR that I am building:

Like the saying goes from the 1/25 scale models, "some assembly required". I'll have to do a little work here and there to fully get them to blend with the car, but it was a whole helluva lot easier than starting from scratch.

In the pic, the Miata fronts are on the rear, and vicey-versey -- I might end up with another set of Miata fronts on the front -- they seem to look better.

-jeff d

JohnKelly
JohnKelly None
12/31/09 10:40 a.m.

Hi Folks, My first post here. I show a couple of different ways to make steel flares in my youtube videos below.

http://tinyurl.com/custom-metal

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
12/31/09 11:08 a.m.

Depending on your metalworking skills you can:

Buy a second set of fenders (and/or quarters), set them off the orginal fenders by 2-4-6" whatever, cut to your desired size, fill in the gaps with sheet metal, and then remove to clearance out the original fender.

^^^Grossly oversimplified, but if you're going to be using newspaper as a filler...

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
12/31/09 11:09 a.m.

In reply to jamscal:

Interesting.....great idea.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
12/31/09 11:17 a.m.
JohnKelly wrote: Hi Folks, My first post here. I show a couple of different ways to make steel flares in my youtube videos below. http://tinyurl.com/custom-metal John www.ghiaspecialties.com

Cool.

Welcome to GRM!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/09 11:46 a.m.

In reply to JohnKelly: Thanks. That's mighty inspirational!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/31/09 12:41 p.m.
kreb wrote: In reply to Keith: That's what's commonly done, but why be a copycat? Here's a good flare execution on an older car:

Awesome. That red Vette just makes me waaaay too happy inside..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q5Da26cZtLite6z7S0LYb6Rfz83CvNQeqcpxSle51y7x5JLxPxVDLBOzBnoHnevO