1 2
petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/15/19 12:50 p.m.

My 318ti is rusting to pieces

ITS FOR SALE IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

so I'm looking at NBs for a new to me year round daily driver in Wisconsin.  I'm 5'10" 190#

I have a 30 mile one way commute evenly split between lightly maintained 2 lane town roads, 4  lane divided and urban traffic.  I have no intentions of serious racing maybe a few ice races or autocross for fun.  I get that after '01 (is that the NB2?) had nicer seats and head lights which I like, any other upside. 

Questions are:

1 - 5 or 6 speed

2 -  How important is an LSD to winter drivability (it'll get snow tires naturally)

Thanks

buzzboy
buzzboy HalfDork
2/15/19 12:52 p.m.

I'll pour one out for your e36/5

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/15/19 12:55 p.m.

The 5-speeds are more common and have better ratios than the 6-speed. The 6-speed is a little stronger, but that really only matters once you get up in the 250hp range. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/19 1:01 p.m.

I think the LSD would be a pretty big help when its slick out. They aren't too hard to find.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/15/19 1:12 p.m.

5 speed for sure, WAY less shifting. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
2/15/19 1:23 p.m.

I daily an NB, and for me I'd have it no other way. 

That said, NCs are supposed to be better dailies, and I did like the way they drove. 

They're also faster, I'm sure can be made to handle as well or better (more room available for wider wheels and  Arbys), and see the link on the 2.5 swap that GWR did. 

Beyond that, NB1s are a touch lighter, and I think that's about it.   I put NB2 seats and exh mani on mine, so I'm set. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/19 1:30 p.m.

5 speed and LSD all the way. Never was a fan of the 6 speed. 

NC's are getting down in price. Con is it's a little harder to find stick and LSD in them than the early ones. They really became more sold to the cruiser market with the NC. 

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/15/19 1:52 p.m.

The only one I've ever driven was the NC w/ retractable hard top and it was great.  The dynamic is very similar to NB I presume?

I know its not a strong argument but I have 2 sets of wheels (14" Ronal R8s w/ good snows and 15" Konig rewinds) that I LOVE that won't fit the NC  otherwise I'm not averse to it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/15/19 2:34 p.m.

I DD a '99 NB for 14 years, including winter.  (SE MI)  5 speed and LSD.

Do look out for rust- I'm restoring mine due to that right now.  

But it was a great DD, including in the snow (good summer tires, great winter tires, and a hard top)

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/15/19 2:37 p.m.

As a daily driver, the NC is a much better car.  I have one after a series of NA's and an NB, the NC is really like a real car and less like a go-kart.  The 5x114 wheels seem to be more plentiful on the used market than the 4x100 was.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/19 2:56 p.m.

When recommending 5 vs 6 speeds, keep in mind the NB uses a 4.3 behind the 5-speed. I think the ratios work better with the 4.1 that was found in the 1.8 NA - so if you're basing your recommendations on the NA, they might be a little off. Also, the 2004-5 6-speeds have a shorter final drive than the 1999-03, and it's all shifting all the time. I prefer the shift feel of the 5-speed myself.

Otherwise, if you're looking at a 2001-02, try to get a Sport. 16" wheels, bigger brakes but more importantly better ABS and more chassis bracing. All 2003-05 cars had those upgrades.

The NC is a better daily but not as talkative. 

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/15/19 3:43 p.m.

Thanks for all that. 

Good tip about the improved ABS. 

Will 14" wheels fit over the bigger sport brakes?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/15/19 4:10 p.m.

Pete, I DD'd a 99 in Chicagoland for 4 years. I went with the 10AE (with Flyin Miata suspension). 

It was very good for the job, but I would have preferred a 5 speed. I also would recommend a hardtop. Best thing I did for year round enjoyment of the car. Top came off in March or April, went back on in November. 

Keith Tanner
2/15/19 4:46 p.m.
petemc53555 said:

Thanks for all that. 

Good tip about the improved ABS. 

Will 14" wheels fit over the bigger sport brakes?

They will not. Some 15's will require a low profile banjo bolt to clear as well. The bigger brakes aren't really a plus for a commuter, it's just that they're packaged with some other nice bonuses.

I'm pretty sure that all 2001-02 Sports will be 6-speeds. Someone borrowed my reference book so that's from memory. 5-speed 2003-05 cars exist but are relatively uncommon.

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/15/19 4:46 p.m.

Is there an easy way to spot a Sport w/ the big brakes?

14"s fit over those binders?

Keith Tanner
2/15/19 4:49 p.m.

14s do not fit.

Easy way to spot: All 2003+ will have them. 2001-02 may.

16" factory wheels mean Sport brakes.

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/15/19 7:04 p.m.

I agree that bigger brakes aren't much of a bonus for this application, however could you comment on your "better ABS" which would be a big bonus.

Thanks, your insight is so helpful to mere mortals.

Maybe its time to let go of my 14" Ronal R8s, I've had them for >20 years and had them on a 8 different cars (Hondas, BMW, VWs, Toyota, I bought them from a friend who had them on an NA!)  

Keith Tanner
2/15/19 7:25 p.m.

The Sport ABS has Electronic Brake Distribution, which basically means the ABS is fast/smart enough to run with fixed proportioning. It's still a three channel system (the rear brakes are paired together) but it's better than previous iterations.

Actually, when I think about it - I'm not 100% sure it's a Sport thing or just a 2001+ thing. Looking at my notes (which I made about 15 years ago), I think it might be the latter.

Yup, parts fiches agree. It was all 2001-05 ABS cars that got the upgraded units, not just the Sport cars. Now, not all 2001+ cars have ABS, but those that do have the good stuff.

For a commuter, the extra bracing that was paired with those big brakes is a really nice bonus. Luckily, it's a bolt-on upgrade if you can source the braces from a wrecked car.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/19 7:29 p.m.

Where are you in Wisconsin and how much do you want for the R8s?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/19 10:15 p.m.
petemc53555 said:

Is there an easy way to spot a Sport w/ the big brakes?

14"s fit over those binders?

Yeah, this one.

For sale. In my driveway. With a hardtop.

Edit: I agree that an NC would be better for your purposes.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
2/15/19 10:17 p.m.
RossD said:

Where are you in Wisconsin and how much do you want for the R8s?

Lol! I had that thought too but I’m too far away..

petemc53555
petemc53555 New Reader
2/16/19 11:29 a.m.

Im in Lodi, keeping the R8s for now.

I thought about your Lava Orange Miata too until the thing about no heat.  That is a serious disadvantage here on the tundra.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/19 12:48 p.m.

In reply to petemc53555 :

Yeah, I'm going to fix it this week. I just have to pull the dash. 

It also doesn't have antilock brakes, which I guess could be important since it was discussed.

I think it's good for a commuter, some of the autocross events I attend are on the west coast of the state, 100 miles each way.

No rust, either. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/16/19 1:51 p.m.
petemc53555 said:

Im in Lodi, keeping the R8s for now.

I thought about your Lava Orange Miata too until the thing about no heat.  That is a serious disadvantage here on the tundra.

If you change your mind, I have a Renault R8 that would be perfect for them...once i swap/fab a bunch of suspension parts... I am in the Appleton/Green Bay area.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
2/16/19 1:58 p.m.

Here's your answer. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BpX4iUnH7Oo65ligkSJvjLEPxamIpAHxDEKAxGgAdMp8jv5vLvFrAW1xCl6RHERA