Opti
Opti New Reader
4/17/14 1:21 p.m.

So guys Im selling the Z28, after I finally got it where I wanted it to. Anyways I want something quick, decent mileage, and few common problems to use as a DD. I will still tinker with it, because I cant help myself, it will probably involve suspension, maintenance, and appearance mods, maybe basic engine stuff. I went a little overboard on the camaro and it was fun as hell, but didnt make a great dd anymore.

I had planned on an On3 kitted S197, but then I realized they were about the same price as a C5 and Ive always told myself my next car would be a C5 so now Im looking at C5s.

Im looking for a manual, non-z06 car. A FRC would be good and Ive seen a few but a non FRC isnt a deal breaker.

I just want to make sure Im not leaving something out. Budget is around 15K.

Miata is not the answer I will own 1.6 NA as soon as a clean manual red one comes up for sale cheap enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/14 1:23 p.m.

In performance for dollars it's nearly impossible to beat a Corvette (maybe an Exocet?)

Slowlane
Slowlane New Reader
4/17/14 1:49 p.m.

Speaking as someone who presently owns a Corvette and has owned a red 1.6L Miata in years past, I can assure you that Miata is not the answer. Not that I didn't enjoy mine on occasion. On buying a Corvette, once you've determined a generation and price point, go search for the newest, best condition one you can find. Even if it means you forego some performance options. Trust me. It is no fun to spend your time and $$ repairing other people's hack jobs. Paint and body are expensive too. Much easier and more fun to upgrade a clean, nice base car to Z51 specs for example or change rear end gears on someone's past garage queen than buy a beat on performance model.

Just my .02 worth. Hope it's useful.

Dave

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
4/17/14 1:56 p.m.

As someone who has owned 2 C5s and currently owns a manual red NA Miata that may soon be up for sale...I'll tell you a Z51 C5 is definitely the answer if you're looking for that type of car. If you're looking for that high hp, high torque rear drive V8, this is your ticket. Agree with finiding the nicest, well kept car you can find. Both C5s that I owned came with extensive documentation...one of them was modified and the PO had all receipts and many pictures during the mod proess. I never had any trouble with either one.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/14 3:33 p.m.

the only thing better than a c5 is a c6 or c7. but in your price range, you've got your head on straight.

mw
mw Dork
4/17/14 4:57 p.m.

If I wasn't going z06, I wouldn't get a FRC. They hold less stuff and in my opinion, the glass rear window looks better.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
4/17/14 5:10 p.m.
mw wrote: If I wasn't going z06, I wouldn't get a FRC. They hold less stuff and in my opinion, the glass rear window looks better.

+1 here. They look goofy, and the trunk is half the size. Being able to remove the roof is awesome. A major reason I went with a C6 after my C5 got totaled.

maj75
maj75 Reader
4/17/14 9:31 p.m.

Especially if you like squeaks and rattles. The '07 C6 I owned was one of the worst cars I owned for squeaks and rattles. I drove it so much I got used to them but every time my wife rode in the car she would ask what was wrong, it made so many noises. Then I'd start to notice them all over again.

Worst seats in a performance car ever...

Great powertrain and handled great, just crappy QC.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/17/14 9:43 p.m.

I think the only car that's even a possible consideration is an E46 M3. A C5 is still better in my opinion, though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/17/14 10:11 p.m.

What's better? The z06. Why the hell would you shop for anything else?

I can think of a lot of cars that I like better but there is really no argument at all about bang for the buck. ZED06 ALL the way.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Reader
4/18/14 5:23 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: If he's not going to do any track days, auto-x's or any other competitions with the C5, it's better for him to save a couple grand and get the regular Corvette and save a Z06 for us amateur racers.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/18/14 5:41 a.m.
Opti wrote: I had planned on an On3 kitted S197, but then I realized they were about the same price as a C5 and Ive always told myself my next car would be a C5 so now Im looking at C5s.

You have wanted a C5 for a long time, right? So buy a C5. Not only are they good cars and good cars to live with, but if you DO buy something else, you know that you'll be thinking "Man, I still want a C5". Only now more years have passed and it's going to be that much harder to find one that hasn't been Previous Ownered to death, or horribly overpriced.

So: Get that C5. FRCs are great even if not Z06 models. The fact that the roof doesn't unbolt is a feature, not a bug. Even the C5s get a little rattly because of the bolt-in roof, although still nowhere near as bad as the older generations.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/18/14 8:00 a.m.

there is a sweet FRC in the classifieds in back of the current GRM really close to your price point with something crazy low like 50k miles and 2 sets of wheels with new tires on both. check that one out.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
4/18/14 10:17 a.m.

The Z06 goes to 11.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hnImB0Yl4Lc0AqxYJEIy04bUq9nyn2zoZcTwZZqLWavu9zeIgf3mkbUvZxlefZeo